Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Old May 28, 2012, 04:48 PM   #1
Satnam1989
Banned

Rogers locked/activated iPhone 4S on Fido Canada will it work? Please confirm

I would like to make some things clear as there's been many discussions on so many forums about this but no definite answer.

Things I know:

1) If you buy a iPhone 4S from Rogers or Fido, Prior to activation it is "Network unlocked between Rogers and Fido" meaning you can either activate it with Rogers or Fido (not with any other sim as some people claim and scam or lie about)

2) Yes Rogers and Fido is owned by Rogers in general but they so far were still sparate networks to date except I think in the past almost a year they have been migrating to one because fido employees are now getting discounts on Rogers products/services (Internet, Landline, Cell Phone)

3) I know that iPhone 4S from Rogers works 100% on Chatr Wireless because Chatr is from day one pretty much a MVNO much like Straight talk, H2O and Red Rocket is for AT&T.

4) I can call them and Yes as many have already told on many different forums.....the CS Rep's are usually clueless or deny any claims of such possibility.

5) Yes I can also go spend $10-$15 to activate a new prepaid Fido sim just to go find out...but its not really worth spend that money plus going over to a fido store which is about 15km's from me.

Things I don't know and would like to find out:

1) If the iPhone 4S purchased in the past 3-4months has been activated on Rogers Wireless network will it work on Fido with a Fido SIM to be specific? Please only reply if you have successfully done this ONLY WITH A iPHONE 4S....I don't care much to know about iPhone 4 (yes they are very similar but it matters trust me...)

2) Does a Fido Activated (this doesn't count if the iPhone 4S was never activated before) iPhone 4S work on Rogers...?

3) Does a Fido Activated iPhone 4S work on Chatr Wireless?

I would like to request that members only respond if they have personally tried this and can confirm 100%. Otherwise please refrain from commenting Thanks.

Also thank you to those that can provide feedback in advance, I'm sure this thread will be helpful to many many people even in the future as this question always has been somewhat un-answered.

Last edited by Satnam1989; May 28, 2012 at 06:03 PM.
Satnam1989 is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2012, 12:11 AM   #2
Satnam1989
Banned

really...no one? out of almost 2K active users at any given time on the iPhone section...no one has tried this?
Satnam1989 is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2012, 11:49 AM   #3
Satnam1989
Banned

please someone shed some light...I'm sure there are many Rogers/Fido users on this forum.
Satnam1989 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2012, 11:51 AM   #4
Kyotoma
macrumors 68000

Gevey Ultra would be the best bet to Unlock your 4S. If you're asking if an iPhone 4S from one locked carrier is compatible with another locked carrier, then the answer is a resounding No.
Old May 30, 2012, 11:55 AM   #5
Satnam1989
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyotoma View Post
Gevey Ultra would be the best bet to Unlock your 4S. If you're asking if an iPhone 4S from one locked carrier is compatible with another locked carrier, then the answer is a resounding No.
Hey thanks for the response, I am aware that a 4S locked from one carrier won't work on another....but in case of Rogers and Fido in canada its a little more complicated because Rogers Bought out Fido....Fido used to be a independent carrier, But when iPhone 4 Launched one has always been able to activate a Fido or Rogers Purchased iPhone on the other carrier/vice versa but once its been activated you can't use it on the other carrier any longer.....if you keeping up with me sorry it sounds a bit confusing. But there have been many reports that in the past year people are able to swap sims from Rogers Locked & activated iPhone with Fido and vice versa. So just wanted someone that has done this & confirm 100% (I'm sure its been tested as there ~2K users active daily).
Old May 30, 2012, 12:08 PM   #6
Kyotoma
macrumors 68000

Possibly, but not all 2k of those users are Rogers/Fido customers, much less Canadian. You are asking an incredibly specific question of which you have little to no drive to even try to answer yourself. What makes you think someone else, assuming they match your criteria AND have laid eyes on this thread, would answer it, especially given your blatant disregard for the rules and the way in which you worded your first question?
Old May 30, 2012, 02:01 PM   #7
Satnam1989
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyotoma View Post
Possibly, but not all 2k of those users are Rogers/Fido customers, much less Canadian. You are asking an incredibly specific question of which you have little to no drive to even try to answer yourself. What makes you think someone else, assuming they match your criteria AND have laid eyes on this thread, would answer it, especially given your blatant disregard for the rules and the way in which you worded your first question?
Yes I'm aware maybe only <1% o those 2K are Rogers/Fido customers, I always ask specific questions so that it saves people the time from scrolling through pages worth of off topic replies that usually happen with almost all threads on this and any forum.
Old Jun 16, 2012, 11:55 PM   #8
miCkzilla
macrumors newbie

Question confirmation

I can confirm that if a rogers/fido iphone 4s is first activated with rogers, it CANNOT be used with a fido sim.

I have this exact problem right now. i bought a fido/rogers iphone 4s, not realizing it would make a difference, but i was obviously first activated with rogers.. Interestingly enough, In the about section, it even shows carrier "fido 12" - however no matter what i've tried, it says "invalid sim" on any fido sim i use, while any rogers sims work fine.

I've tried jailbreaking, and SAM, i've trying completely restoring from dfu, and nothing will allow me us completely restore back to it accepting a fido sim. How very very frustrating.

If anyone reading this figured out a way to get a rogers/fido iphone 4s that was original activated with rogers, back to accepting a fido sim, i would greatly appreciate a response
miCkzilla is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2012, 11:57 PM   #9
blueroom
macrumors 603

Finish your contract and pay the $50
blueroom is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2012, 12:21 AM   #10
miCkzilla
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueroom View Post
Finish your contract and pay the $50
thanks blueroom! - but i don't have a contract!? as mentioned, i purchased a used phone, that little did i know, was locked to rogers. i am not, and have never been a rogers customer - so not sure how it would work. i did just call them to ask, however tech support couldn't do it - and customer relations is closed... i guess i'll try again tomorrow, if nobody knows any real solutions.

on a side not, since rogers and fido are basically one in the same - i think it would be stupid for them to charge me just to use the phone on the same network.. lol.
miCkzilla is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2012, 10:23 AM   #11
Satnam1989
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by miCkzilla View Post
thanks blueroom! - but i don't have a contract!? as mentioned, i purchased a used phone, that little did i know, was locked to rogers. i am not, and have never been a rogers customer - so not sure how it would work. i did just call them to ask, however tech support couldn't do it - and customer relations is closed... i guess i'll try again tomorrow, if nobody knows any real solutions.

on a side not, since rogers and fido are basically one in the same - i think it would be stupid for them to charge me just to use the phone on the same network.. lol.
Ya they are quiet selfish, Rogers is one of the nations dumbest carrier....all they do is scam you for your money in any and every way they can. The iPhone unlock policy they hav is insanely ridiculous(should look it up)....its more of a trap....once you get a Rogers locked iPhone...there is no going anywhere else because they will ****** you till the end and even then charge you $50 and if you happen to to a HUP well...your last gen iPhone remains locked because you are "still in a contract" even tho its for a new one now....I hate Rogers and never will be their customer again.

As for people that buy used....we hav no hope at all! compared to the ones that hav accounts with rogers...they hav a 50/50 chance of successfully getting through the unlock process without hiccups.
Old Jun 17, 2012, 10:28 AM   #12
blueroom
macrumors 603

You need to be a Rogers customer in good standing etc...
To have a device unlocked, a customer must:

*Have an account in good standing
*Have paid the un-subsidized / no term cost for the device at least 30 days prior OR have finished their Commitment Period (contract)
*Unlock a device which is listed in their equipment history (no grey market devices)
*Pay a $50 unlocking fee plus applicable taxes (note: prepaid customers must have a $50 plus the applicable taxes, balance on their account)
http://www.iphoneincanada.ca/iphone-...hone-included/

Probably best to either sell the thing or switch to Rogers.
blueroom is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2012, 10:43 AM   #13
Satnam1989
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueroom View Post
You need to be a Rogers customer in good standing etc...
To have a device unlocked, a customer must:

*Have an account in good standing
*Have paid the un-subsidized / no term cost for the device at least 30 days prior OR have finished their Commitment Period (contract)
*Unlock a device which is listed in their equipment history (no grey market devices)
*Pay a $50 unlocking fee plus applicable taxes (note: prepaid customers must have a $50 plus the applicable taxes, balance on their account)
http://www.iphoneincanada.ca/iphone-...hone-included/

Probably best to either sell the thing or switch to Rogers.
Ya those requirements are next to non-existent for Rogers customers who purchase used iPhone's from others.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting