Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old May 29, 2012, 01:30 AM   #1
laurenr
macrumors 6502a

Exclamation Lost iPhone, need advice please

So, I was at a local mall today, and somehow misplaced my iphone, (long story, stressed out, etc, so was careless)

Arriving home about 2 hours later, I discovered it was missing and immediately fired up the "find my iPhone" app, after trying to call it. Whoever found it turned it off....obvious reason being they don't want it tracked.

I did the remote lock, left a message to call my Husband's cell phone if found. My question - if I perform a remote wipe, will any message I send still show on the device when it is turned on again? Should I even do the remote wipe? How exposed is my data, regardless of the lock code? Can a tech savvy thief mount it as an external device using an application like "iPhone explorer" on his PC or Mac? If he can, then would it even matter if the device is locked?

Aaaaaargh! I am beyond aggravated! I have pictures on there of great sentimental value, that I have not yet synced to my iPad or Mac, and no, I have always done the sync to my desktop, no backup in iCloud.

Any advice would be much appreciated!?
laurenr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2012, 01:41 AM   #2
Ricky Smith
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to Ricky Smith Send a message via MSN to Ricky Smith
If you wipe it you loose any chance of tracking or putting that message up. But yes it's possible to pull the data even with it locked
Old May 29, 2012, 01:51 AM   #3
laurenr
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Smith View Post
If you wipe it you loose any chance of tracking or putting that message up. But yes it's possible to pull the data even with it locked
I have deleted any notes that contained important/secure data off my ipad, so the will be gone from iPhone. What concerns me is email. Can they access email when mounted as external drive with above application on a desktop?

I would also be concerned about pictures being plastered all over the WWW. there are no "naughty" ones thank goodness, but there are quite a few of me in bikinis etc. For this reason alone, should I consider a remote wipe? I am a very private person, hate my pics even being tagged on Facebook; (had an almost stalkerish experience last year that really creeped me out from pics on FB)
Old May 29, 2012, 02:14 AM   #4
Dopeyman
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to Dopeyman Send a message via MSN to Dopeyman
Quote:
Originally Posted by laurenr View Post
........ there are no "naughty" ones thank goodness, but there are quite a few of me in bikinis etc. For this reason alone, should I consider a remote wipe? I am a very private person, hate my pics even being tagged on Facebook; (had an almost stalkerish experience last year that really creeped me out from pics on FB)
You should post some of those that way we can be on the lookout to see if they get posted somewhere...
Old May 29, 2012, 02:18 AM   #5
moldy lunchbox
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopeyman View Post
You should post some of those that way we can be on the lookout to see if they get posted somewhere...
Her photos weren't yet synced, they were only on the phone.
moldy lunchbox is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2012, 09:03 AM   #6
laurenr
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopeyman View Post
Ummmmm.....no.......but can we please keep our minds on the task at hand?
laurenr is offline   -2 Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2012, 10:56 AM   #7
iceterminal
macrumors 68000

Before you do the remote wipe, I would wait a little bit. Someone might turn it back on and you can get an email from Find my iPhone telling you such. Then you can either track them down like the filthy animals they are, or send a message to your phone asking for it back. If nothing, then do the wipe.

They might also have ejected the SIM (AT&T) already and will do a clean restore themselves to use the phone.

The only worth these items have is the one you give them.
iceterminal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2012, 12:28 PM   #8
laurenr
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceterminal View Post
Before you do the remote wipe, I would wait a little bit. Someone might turn it back on and you can get an email from Find my iPhone telling you such. Then you can either track them down like the filthy animals they are, or send a message to your phone asking for it back. If nothing, then do the wipe.

They might also have ejected the SIM (AT&T) already and will do a clean restore themselves to use the phone.
Thanks for the advice. My iphone is the Verizon device, so there is no SIM. WHat concerns me is this pig switching it to Airplane mode, thus avoiding internet connection, then mounting it as an external drive.
Old May 29, 2012, 12:33 PM   #9
iceterminal
macrumors 68000

I'm not sure you can mount the iPhone 4/4s as an external drive by default. I'm no expert, but I know when I connect mine up to Windows or Mac, I can see it but not as a drive like device.
Again, I could be very wrong on this.

Old May 29, 2012, 12:34 PM   #10
laurenr
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
I'm not sure you can mount the iPhone 4/4s as an external drive by default. I'm no expert, but I know when I connect mine up to Windows or Mac, I can see it but not as a drive like device.
Again, I could be very wrong on this.
On my Mac, using the App iPhone explorer, I can mount my iphone to access pictures, etc.
Old May 29, 2012, 12:41 PM   #11
iceterminal
macrumors 68000

Quote:
On my Mac, using the App iPhone explorer, I can mount my iphone to access pictures, etc.
Ah ok. I've recently gotten a Mac at home so figured it would work the same. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Since your phone is still missing, maybe its time to use your abilities to guilt your husband into give you his. Just tell him if you get to use his 4, then its a good excuse to get the next iphone when it comes out.

Old May 29, 2012, 01:43 PM   #12
Troneas
macrumors 65816

i have a question on this issue:

if you do a remote wipe, will it remove the remote lock?

ie: will the person who found it be able to use it as new?

Last edited by Troneas; May 29, 2012 at 02:10 PM.
Troneas is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2012, 02:21 PM   #13
laurenr
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Ah ok. I've recently gotten a Mac at home so figured it would work the same. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Since your phone is still missing, maybe its time to use your abilities to guilt your husband into give you his. Just tell him if you get to use his 4, then its a good excuse to get the next iphone when it comes out.
Oh too funny! We absolutely are on the same wavelength! My new iphone is already on the way, and because of the nature of our Verizon contract, this will not prevent me from getting the latest one in October. Hubby is great, always wanting to rescue his li'l Damsel.

Problem is that I am still worried about that creep accessing my data.
Old May 29, 2012, 02:40 PM   #14
Arnezie
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Ummmmm.....no.......but can we please keep our minds on the task at hand?
Maybe that was his task at his hand
Arnezie is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2012, 03:26 PM   #15
laurenr
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnezie View Post
Maybe that was his task at his hand
I just have no words........
laurenr is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2012, 03:40 PM   #16
chiefpavvy
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnezie View Post
maybe that was his task at his hand
lmao... :d :d :d
chiefpavvy is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2012, 06:28 PM   #17
laurenr
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troneas View Post
i have a question on this issue:

if you do a remote wipe, will it remove the remote lock?

ie: will the person who found it be able to use it as new?
I am wondering about this too. My phone appeared online 2 hours ago, enabling me to do a remote wipe after receiving no response from message I sent. Will this jerk now be able to set up and use the phone?
Old May 29, 2012, 07:01 PM   #18
PsstGreek
macrumors 68040

Quote:
I am wondering about this too. My phone appeared online 2 hours ago, enabling me to do a remote wipe after receiving no response from message I sent. Will this jerk now be able to set up and use the phone?
If you call verizon and say you lost it, they'll blacklist it. Preventing it from being activated again.
Old May 29, 2012, 07:30 PM   #19
laurenr
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsstGreek View Post
If you call verizon and say you lost it, they'll blacklist it. Preventing it from being activated again.
I was not aware you can do this. Are you sure this is possible? I have never lost a phone before.
Old May 29, 2012, 07:41 PM   #20
rgarjr
macrumors 603

Quote:
I was not aware you can do this. Are you sure this is possible? I have never lost a phone before.
Yeah it's what is called a bad ESN. Only the GSM phones u can do this.
rgarjr is offline   -2 Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2012, 12:04 AM   #21
laurenr
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgarjr View Post
Yeah it's what is called a bad ESN. Only the GSM phones u can do this.
Thanks so much for the info, I really appreciate it!
Old May 30, 2012, 12:57 AM   #22
sd-diver
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Arriving home about 2 hours later, I discovered it was missing and immediately fired up the "find my iPhone" app, after trying to call it. Whoever found it turned it off....obvious reason being they don't want it tracked.
Lauren,
Same thing happened to my son's iPhone 4 recently - in our case the sim was removed. What worked for us was the "low-tech" approach. His was taken at our local community rec center. They have surveillance video. We made a police report (on-line) then used that to get the rec center to play back the video. Saw the theft occur - and oddly enough the perp was there. I confronted him - he denied it, until I mentioned his actions that I had just seen on video. Long story short - police were called and we got the phone back. It was being used as an expensive iPod touch… I'd check to see if there is surveillance video from this location.

Good luck!
sd-diver is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2012, 11:38 AM   #23
iceterminal
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Oh too funny! We absolutely are on the same wavelength! My new iphone is already on the way, and because of the nature of our Verizon contract, this will not prevent me from getting the latest one in October. Hubby is great, always wanting to rescue his li'l Damsel.

Problem is that I am still worried about that creep accessing my data.
If you've lost it more than 3-5 days ago, i'd send the wipe to it.
My only wish for iOS6 or iPhone 5 is that if a unit is stolen or lost, we can either disable power to it entirely (if lost), or send a mass of electric shocks to anyone that tries to use it for their own (if stolen). But then again, I'm bitter about thieves.

My wife lost her iphone once. She couldn't even go an hour without having to use mine. lol

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone