Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chrisg2014

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 23, 2010
USA
So, in 2007 I received a 17in iMac for my Birthday, then in 2010 I won a Macbook 13 inch from my school, so my dad made me give my iMac to my sister. Well yesterday was her birthday and she got a 13 in macbook pro. So I got my iMac back. Well before christmas, I bought my self a Mac Pro for Final Cut Pro and some heavy duty processes. I really don't have any use for the iMac, and I'm not going to get very much for it if I were to sell it because my sister some how managed to have it fall of her desk. It works, it just has some wavy lines on the side it feel on. Nothing to managed, God help that Macbook she got, I hope it lastes longer then her phones. So I'm thinking I can use it as a secondary display, can anyone tell me how one might go about doing it?

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Because only they have the needed Target Display Mode. Target Display Mode is when you connect an external device to the iMac's mini-DisplayPort. Any other non-27" iMac does not have the needed wiring or software to make it work.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Apple did nothing wrong. The technology to be able to have an iMac with Target Display Mode didn't exist in 2007.

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
It's also "only" a 17" display. You can get cheap 22" 1080P monitors for only about $100 anymore which will use a lot less power (since even if it did have target display mode you would have to leave on your iMac at all times to use it) and give you more resolution and size.

Forgot about this solution: If you really want to do the above, you could use this:

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/air-display/id419449718?mt=12

I tried it for awhile. It does work. a little laggy, but it does work.

funz51

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2019
yes you can...

First, it cannot be used in target mode because the 2007 minidvi is video out only.

But, if you share the screen of the 2018 mac, it works like a charm.

I wanted a second external monitor. I connected the first monitor thru the hmdi of the mac laptop (iogear) dock. For the the second external monitor (2007 IMAC) I just shared the primary screen of the laptop, then 'connected' to that laptop from the iMAC, and wow, there it is. 2 external screens, the reuse of your beautiful 2007 MAC screen, and you can still use the laptop screen per usual.

Your welcome.

Reactions: deliiled

achamandy

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2019
yes you can...

First, it cannot be used in target mode because the 2007 minidvi is video out only.

I wanted a second external monitor. I connected the first monitor thru the hmdi of the mac laptop (iogear) dock. For the the second external monitor (2007 IMAC) I just shared the primary screen of the laptop, then 'connected' to that laptop from the iMAC, and wow, there it is. 2 external screens, the reuse of your beautiful 2007 MAC screen, and you can still use the laptop screen per usual.

Your welcome.
Hey... what cable would I need to buy to do this, if I want to use my 2007 imac as a screen for my macbook air, early 2015? Thanks so much!!

anambra11

macrumors newbie
May 15, 2016
Hey... what cable would I need to buy to do this, if I want to use my 2007 imac as a screen for my macbook air, early 2015? Thanks so much!!

Just need your Imac and your other computer to be on the same internet connection. Its done wirelessly.

Netshakil

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2019
yes you can...

Your welcome.

hi,

I have two iMac 2007 and wanted to use them as screens with my MacBook Pro 2016 but I am confused what method you followed. Is it possible to give a step by step guidance with bit more details.
Thank you so much in advance.

funz51

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2019
As stated in the posts above,
1) connect one monitor via HDMI cable - done here...
2) connect 2nd monitor wirelessly,
- go to laptop settings , sharing, check screen sharing
- go to iMac,
do one of the following:
  • Connect using the name: Click the Finder icon
    937fa92677a2c49a18fa81070e5d8419.png
    in the Dock to open a Finder window. In the Locations section of the sidebar, click Network, double-click the Mac you want to share, then click Share Screen.
    If no items appear in the Locations section of the sidebar, hold the pointer over the word Locations, then click Show.
  • Connect using the address: In the Finder, choose Go > Connect to Server, enter the address of the Mac you want to share, then click Connect.

Reactions: deliiled

Lydia- Grace Smith

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2020
yes you can...

Your welcome.
Hello
I am wondering I have done this but now it just mirrors my Mac book . How do I get it to be a secondary screen where I can flip between and use both?

SC68

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2020
hello Lydia and Funz51...
I have exactly the same problem/predicament as you Lydia.. my Imac 2007 just mirrors my MBP..
Did you find the solution..?

Jandalf

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2016
Berlin, Germany
The Idea is neat. But I also didn’t find a way to not just mirror the screen, yet.
[Might be a nerdy problem, but hey where on macrumors...]

funz51

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2019
As I stated above, when you 'share' your screen, it does not provide a 'second' desktop, it only provides the bigger screen (as a mirror). 'Multiple desktops' (Spaces) on any MAC is built-in, and that is what you use to switch your desktop as you look from screen to screen. If you have a physical second display that plugs in to your laptop, then you can have a set of desktops (Spaces) for that monitor. Search 'MAC Spaces' if you are not currently using them now.

Above, I had a monitor plugged into the laptop, and an older 2007 machine next to me. The 2007 machine simply mirrors the laptop 'smaller screen', and can use spaces to swap desktops. it is a great way to create more screen real estate like what the OP asked in 2012.. lol

soanis

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2013
Europe
Any noticeable lag?
Maybe all that is needed now is to tape an M1 mac mini behind a 24/27" iMac, use target display mode or your mentioned solution and call it a day? lol

Jandalf

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2016
Berlin, Germany
Thank you for your input, @funz51 ! Had a lot of fun playing around and working things out. Actually my daughter still uses the old 2007 24“ IMac for homeschooling quite frequently now...
I think I will just relocate the iMac and get a decent second screen. Just didn’t want to get rid of the old iMac as we had quite a history. Hence the try to use as second screen, but now it lives on as first machine for the next gen... (let’s see for how long...) ? have a great sunday!

Nguyen Duc Hieu

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2020
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Gut out the iMac, replace with an LCD driver board for 24" LCD, re-wire the PSU to power the driver board, and you have converted it to a multi-port monitor (the driver board has VGA, HDMI + DVI port input by default, costs around 15$~20$)

Reactions: Jandalf

rx78

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2020
I've done this with a 2009 24 inch and it works great.

Only annoying thing is the overall yellow tint and horizontal banding (more obvious with a white background) as the backlighting is degrading.....

migy11

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2021
can i do this with my windows laptop instead?,, the Imac that im trying to connect to my windows laptop is iMac (24-inch, Mid 2007) btw
As stated in the posts above,
1) connect one monitor via HDMI cable - done here...
2) connect 2nd monitor wirelessly,
- go to laptop settings , sharing, check screen sharing
- go to iMac,
do one of the following:
  • Connect using the name: Click the Finder icon
    937fa92677a2c49a18fa81070e5d8419.png
    in the Dock to open a Finder window. In the Locations section of the sidebar, click Network, double-click the Mac you want to share, then click Share Screen.
    If no items appear in the Locations section of the sidebar, hold the pointer over the word Locations, then click Show.
  • Connect using the address: In the Finder, choose Go > Connect to Server, enter the address of the Mac you want to share, then click Connect.

Last edited:

funz51

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2019
well, i cannot answer that one. I don't do this somersault anymore. anyone else know how to assimilate a mac display into the windows culture?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.