Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

petrucci666

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 30, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
I'm on an iPhone 4 5.1.1 jailbroken with Absinthe, running on AT&T. My 3G service has been very slow (and often it won't even load) which is odd because it's worked pretty well so far and I've been jailbroken many times before and never has this been an issue. I'm also in a major city so the coverage is consistent.

This has been going on for days and nobody else has had this issue.

I've contacted AT&T - no outages etc. Rebooted a dozen times, reset the network setting, no dice.

Could the jailbreak be causing this?

BumpyFlatline

macrumors 68030
Apr 11, 2012
I noticed a day or two after I jailbroke, my cell reception, which is usually maxed out at my house, dropped down to one bar or no service. It stayed like that until the next morning and during my commute to work it went back to a normal reception. I feel like that when my phone switched cell towers it recalibrated the reception or something along those lines. When I got home that night all was perfect again.

I also called AT&T, checked my roommates cell reception, rebooted, resprung, toggled airplane mode and reset network settings a million times. Once I drove far enough away from my house everything went back to normal and I haven't had a problem since.

damajUSA

macrumors newbie
May 30, 2012
Same Problem

I have a 3GS on 5.1.1 and have jailbroken it with Absinthe 2.0 and have the same problem...
The 3G service is either super slow or not working. The iPhone says all is working as does AT&T...

No idea whats causing it. The 3G worked just fine before the jailbreaking of my iPhone.

pammyspyce

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2005
Bay Area, Calif
I'm having the same issue and it's driving me INSANE. My 3g service just will not work. I've done all the tricks, nada. Sometimes, and only sometimes, my 3g will work if I turn wi-fi off. I don't want to restore my phone back to "normal" but what's the point of an iPhone that won't get 3g service? Arg. Frustrating.

Oh, and yesterday I drove 25 miles away from home and it didn't fix my 3g. How far are cell towers typically?

dfarrales

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2008
I am have the EXACT same problem. My 3G is very, very spotty. It started 2 days ago. I tried the same tricks (restarting, reset network settings, airplane mode on/off...). These sometimes work, but mostly don't.

I'm on 5.0.1 Jailbroken IP4. My wife has the same setup and having no issues. I'm in Sacrament, CA and no notices of outtages in my area.

As a last resort, I was going to upgrade to 5.1.1 but it looks like you all are on 5.1.1 with the same problem.

ugh....

Mattgella

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2011
I have a 3GS on 5.1.1 and have jailbroken it with Absinthe 2.0 and have the same problem...
The 3G service is either super slow or not working. The iPhone says all is working as does AT&T...

No idea whats causing it. The 3G worked just fine before the jailbreaking of my iPhone.

Exact same thing for me. Same IOS, same jailbreak. My 3G download speed is ridiculous now! I am only getting .24 Mbps? Could I have a virus?

utahman130

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2012
Restore to 5.1.1

I had an 3GS, jailbroken with Absinthe 2.0.4 untethered running iOS 5.1.1 , and it ran really slow and got 3G was bad. I restored it, running great now. You can try jailbreaking with Absinthe 2.0.4 when you are running 5.1.1 to see if it goes well for you. Go to greenpois0n.

damajUSA

macrumors newbie
May 30, 2012
I don't think that a virus is the cause. After two restores my 3G seems to be back to normal.

One restore was an attempt to fix the 3G, the other was a mysterious open port on my iPhone that I could not track down so I wanted to start from scratch(be careful what you install).

Hellodarrentan

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2012
Hey guys...i had the same problem..did u try installing sbsettings? After installing it, I was able to turn my 3G on again. And I have removed sbssettings now and my 3G is still working.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.