Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

matteusclement

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 26, 2008
victoria
I have 2 x 1TB WD Blacks in software RAID 0 that I store my footage on as well as use for a scratch disc but I notice that Premiere, Bridge and Photoshop seem to wait on that disc. Am I better off with a new SATA3 Raptor 600GB drive for that work?
I have an intel SSD for a boot drive, so I know it's not that

ppc_michael

Apr 26, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
Is Creative Suite on your SSD?

I don't think you'll see much of an increase with a SATA III drive. As I understand it, SSDs benefit much more from SATA III than mechanical harddrives, which don't even saturate SATA II's bandwidth.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Software raid is your biggest issue! You would get better results from a single drive (raptor) with less wait time.

matteusclement

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 26, 2008
victoria
Software raid is your biggest issue! You would get better results from a single drive (raptor) with less wait time.

that's what I thought. I have to wait a few months before I can erase and split the RAID 0. I just saw that WD came out with a 1TB Raptor!! Sick!
That's the kind of space and density I need.

qveda

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2008
I have a MacPro with 2 internal drives (Mac HD, and Data). For Photoshop and Lightroom, I set Preferences to point to the Data drive for Scratch space.

Is it recommended to have a separate partition, or even a dedicated drive for Scratch disc that is not used for anything else ?

matteusclement

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 26, 2008
victoria
I have a MacPro with 2 internal drives (Mac HD, and Data). For Photoshop and Lightroom, I set Preferences to point to the Data drive for Scratch space.

Is it recommended to have a separate partition, or even a dedicated drive for Scratch disc that is not used for anything else ?

anything but the OS drive is better. My scratch disc has my media on it too.

macuser453787

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2012
Galatians 3:13-14

If you want to and have the space for it, then hey, why not install a dedicated scratch drive? :) But AFAIK it should be fine to use your media drive as a scratch disk too.

matteusclement

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 26, 2008
victoria
If you want to and have the space for it, then hey, why not install a dedicated scratch drive? :) But AFAIK it should be fine to use your media drive as a scratch disk too.

yeah, it seems to work fine, i think it has more to do with my software RAID than anything else.

macuser453787

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2012
Galatians 3:13-14
yeah, it seems to work fine, i think it has more to do with my software RAID than anything else.

I haven't ever used software RAID so I can't contribute anything in that arena, but have you considered maybe doing the RAID 0 setup using a couple of SSDs instead of the WD drives? Seems to me that a couple of SSDs would saturate the SATA II connection a lot more (or at least somewhat more) than the WDs would, even using software RAID.

Of course this is all academic for me at this point because, as I mentioned, I've never used the software RAID feature before. :)

matteusclement

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 26, 2008
victoria
SSD's = $$$$$$$$
I am working on 10 projects right now and am eating up 250GB just in media. That does not include the render files. So for now, Raptors seem like a good idea.

LeandrodaFL

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2011
Dont get Raptors, get SSDs. Sure they are expensive, but if you sell your current raptors, they will help with the purchase.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.