Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Design and Graphics

Old May 29, 2012, 03:46 PM   #1
definitive
macrumors 65816

Illustrator CS6 x and y coordinates on artboard.

I'm not sure how to explain this properly, but here's the issue that I'm having, and hoping someone knows how I could fix it:

In CS4, I could go to the art board settings (I believe it's Shift+O), and set the x and y coordinates to something easy to remember (such as 0, 0), and this would become the center of the art board. Then if I was working with a square, or any other object, and needed to center it on the board, I would simply click the object, load up the Transform window (Shift+F8), and then enter the x/y coordinates 0,0, and press tab. This would center the object on the art board.

With CS6, this isn't the case. For some reason the art board's center is independent from the object's center. For example, if I load up a regular page, its center is 4.25/5.5. If I change it to 0,0, and try to manually center the object to that, then the object will not be centered when it's at 0,0. Instead, it will still think that the center is the original 4.25/5.5.

Anyone know how to get CS6's art board to behave the same way as in CS4?
definitive is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2012, 04:07 PM   #2
AlanShutko
macrumors 6502

I think I understand what you're doing, and if you change the ruler origin, it will set the coordinates the way you want it. You will need to show the ruler to set it, but then you can hide the ruler if you with.

The help has documentation on how to set the ruler origin. Basically, you will drag from the upper left corner of the rules to the point you want to be zero/zero. The dragging will snap to guides, so that might make it easier.

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/illustra...4dda9f4a1-8000
AlanShutko is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2012, 06:04 PM   #3
definitive
macrumors 65816

Thank you. Clicking on View > Rulers > Change to Global Rulers did the trick.
definitive is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Design and Graphics