Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gambit

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2002
Turkey
Bummer...

Now just if it had been the Mac version...:D

Attachments

• yes.gif
    yes.gif
    350 bytes · Views: 982

job

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2002
in transit
Anyone have a monster PC gaming rig they would like to utilize to exploit this situation? ;)

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
anyone know if Doom3 will port to a Mac at the same time as it comes out for a pc, or are we going to have to wait for it? I remember playing the original Doom and just being amazed - so many years ago - I'm really interested in seeing what Id's come up with, since so much has changed in the market since then....

D

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Originally posted by hitman
Anyone have a monster PC gaming rig they would like to utilize to exploit this situation? ;)
i am on my pimp rig as we speak, ill look into it.

iJon

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
this thing is a bitch to find. im searching on edonkey right now. hopefully i can nab it. ill keep you posted.

iJon

Chryx

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2002
Originally posted by dukestreet
anyone know if Doom3 will port to a Mac at the same time as it comes out for a pc
D

Well, the first public showing of Doom 3 was with the Geforce 3 launch.. at Macworld Tokyo 2001.. on a Powermac...

make of that what you will

taeclee99

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2002
Anywhere but here
Ok, I just played Doom 3 Alpha on my pc and man does it runs slow!!!!!!!!. I have an AMD 1.33 PC with a Geforce 3 ti500 and the game runs at like 10 fps. I think I get need to upgrade to a ATI radeon 9000 or something and a new cpu just to play this game.

Chryx

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2002
Originally posted by taeclee99
Ok, I just played Doom 3 Alpha on my pc and man does it runs slow!!!!!!!!. I have an AMD 1.33 PC with a Geforce 3 ti500 and the game runs at like 10 fps. I think I get need to upgrade to a ATI radeon 9000 or something and a new cpu just to play this game.

Um, the Radeon _9000_ would be a DOWNGRADE from a Geforce 3 Ti500, the 9000 is slower than the 8500LE (which is slower than the 8500)

Perhaps you might want to consider a Radeon 9700 Pro :)

Bradcoe

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2002
Northeast U.S.
no

The Radeon 9000 is not slower than the 8500 or the 8500LE. Depending on the test you run, it can be faster or slower. But either way it's a great amount of bang for your buck, it supports DX 8.1 has more features, and ATI is killing off the 8500 and 8500LE because theyre so expensive to make compared to the 9000. The 9000 will smoke all the current geforce MX cards (except the 460 in a very rare case). ATI driver updates in the future will enhance the performace of this card.

IF you want something to run doom3 real well, buy a dual processor mac and slap a 128mb video card in it. Of course you'll have to wait for the release of doom to the mac, which is almost certainly going to be the same time the windows and linux versions are released. I love id software.

For running this leaked version of doom 3 you'll probably want a geforce 4 ti or a 9700pro like the above says. The less memory you have (64 is the minimum id say) the lower your detail and texture settings should be. Maxing these out makes the texture file sizes HUGE. bigger than your video card memory can hold at one time.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
well i played it last night and it played very well. very scary game to play at 2 in the morning. it was probably the most beautiful game in talk of graphics. here is my rig.

p4 2ghz
512 pc2100 ram
128mb geforce4 ti 4400

if you have a pc go download it from the link i gave you unless they have pulled it.

iJon

Chryx

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2002
Re: no

Originally posted by Bradcoe
But either way it's a great amount of bang for your buck

To replace a Geforce 3 Ti500? (which, driver version depending can get into the same ballpark as the Radeon 8500)

a Ti4400/4600 or Radeon 9700 pro is the only REALLY worthwhile upgrade from a Ti500 IMHO

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Re: no

Originally posted by Bradcoe
The Radeon 9000 is not slower than the 8500 or the 8500LE. Depending on the test you run, it can be faster or slower. But either way it's a great amount of bang for your buck, it supports DX 8.1 has more features, and ATI is killing off the 8500 and 8500LE because theyre so expensive to make compared to the 9000. The 9000 will smoke all the current geforce MX cards (except the 460 in a very rare case). ATI driver updates in the future will enhance the performace of this card.

IF you want something to run doom3 real well, buy a dual processor mac and slap a 128mb video card in it. Of course you'll have to wait for the release of doom to the mac, which is almost certainly going to be the same time the windows and linux versions are released. I love id software.

For running this leaked version of doom 3 you'll probably want a geforce 4 ti or a 9700pro like the above says. The less memory you have (64 is the minimum id say) the lower your detail and texture settings should be. Maxing these out makes the texture file sizes HUGE. bigger than your video card memory can hold at one time.
I highly doubt this would beat out a single processor pc with a 128 mg video card. ive already faced it and got a pc for games, games on macs jsut plain suck. Thats just my opinion though from my experience.

iJon

sparkleytone

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2001
Greensboro, NC
if we (mac users) are going to want to play this game...apple is going to have to step up to the hardware plate...

a game this powerful with such enormous amount of textures will be very cpu-bound when it comes to performance. its going to use and abuse the video card very quickly and look to the processor for help...if the machine can't pump data to and from the CPU
_much_ faster than current G4s, the mac is just not going to be a viable platform for doom3.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
you are exactly right my friend. I have a very nice and decked out machine and it was still kind of laggy on my machine. but i think that was more to the fact that this is a alpha. the game was very buggy, many sound problems. the effects were fasanating though. the ceiling in the bathroom has a swinging light. i bet that took some graphics power to do lighting in that form. it was amazing. cant wait for the full version to come out.

iJon

beez7777

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2002
Notre Dame
hmm. just bought a 17" iMac a few months ago, and, being a huge doom fan, this isnt looking too good for me. will the geforce 4 mx (32 mb) allow this game to be somewhat playable? its just kinda frustrating after spendin 2 grand on a computer. :rolleyes:

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
that machine was really never that good for games in the first place. after playing doom i dont think tha computer could handle it, and if it could it wouldnt be at the highest quality. the game ran laggy every now and then on my machine. here are the specs for my pc.

Pentium 4 2GHz
Visiontek Geforce 4Ti 4400 128MB DDR Ram
Audigy 2 Platium Sound Card and Drive Bay
512 MB DDR 2100 RAM

thats all that would matter for gaming needs. i think mostly the game ran laggy because it is an alpha and has many bugs. i would just wait and see what happens beez.

iJon

job

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2002
in transit
Originally posted by beez7777
hmm. just bought a 17" iMac a few months ago, and, being a huge doom fan, this isnt looking too good for me. will the geforce 4 mx (32 mb) allow this game to be somewhat playable? its just kinda frustrating after spendin 2 grand on a computer. :rolleyes:

I don't think you will be able to play it...

But then again, no one will. ;)

P-Worm

macrumors 68020
Jul 16, 2002
Salt Lake City, UT
Re: Re: no

Originally posted by iJon

I highly doubt this would beat out a single processor pc with a 128 mg video card. ive already faced it and got a pc for games, games on macs jsut plain suck. Thats just my opinion though from my experience.

iJon

You my friend are missing one crucial point...id software actually programs for dual cpus and altivec! Oh yeah, this is going to be full of Mac gaming goodness! :cool:

P-Worm

Spike Spiegel

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2002
Massachusetts
i have a feeling that most of the lags you incurred were due to it being an alpha, not any hardware shortcomings of your computers. I read an interview with john carmack in which he stated that the geforce 3 was the target card for the game, meaning that that card would get the max performance. To answer the imac user's question, a geforce 4mx, while not being as good as a geforce 3ti, might still be able to eke out a decent frame rate on the final version(cpu speed and RAM would be the issue there)

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Re: Re: Re: no

Originally posted by P-Worm

You my friend are missing one crucial point...id software actually programs for dual cpus and altivec! Oh yeah, this is going to be full of Mac gaming goodness! :cool:

P-Worm
better pop a geforce 4 ti 4600 in that bad boy if you want to get the full effect though. We will just have to wait and see. im already impressed by this alpha version.

iJon

Bradcoe

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2002
Northeast U.S.
867 yes, imac no

The 867 will be able to play doom fine. why? cause it has an AGP slot so u can just buy a video card that runs doom 3 for $100-200 dollars. The 32mb geforce in it wont run it at all. ANY card with 32megs of memory wont run doom 3. The MX cards from nvidia suck ass anyway. to cut prices, nvidia cut features. mx cards are missing things that current cards can do (pixel shaders i think).
for the 3rd time i think, in this post, ill repeat it.

ID OPTIMIZES GAME ENGINES FOR DUAL PROCESSORS AND THE VELOCITY ENGINE. so eat that. a good video card in a mac will run a game like that great inside any new or old g4 powermac.

now, apple needs to start sticking good video cards in their machines. ibooks need 32mb mobility cards. powerbooks need 64mb cards. emacs need 32mb cards. imacs need 64mb cards. powermacs need an option of 32, 64, or 128 meg cards. there are so many video cards on the market and apple needs to give users options!!! if I want to play 3d games but i dont want encode dvd's, let me buy a 128mb video card in a 17" imac so i don't waste $ on a dual processor if i dont want it. if i want to analyze dna strands, let me buy a 32mb video card in a 1.25ghz processor.

these are things apple CAN control MUCH better than the processor clock speeds.

ok im done.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.