Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks

Old May 30, 2012, 01:00 PM   #1
imDanielWood
macrumors member

Clean restore&re-jailbreak, how to keep only certain apps and contacts? Nothing else?

Hey guys, I'm pretty new to jailbreaking and iPhones in general, I jailbroke for the first time around a week ago, since then I've been experimenting and over-modding my device, it's all just got too confusing for me and I'd just like to start from basically a brand new iPhone, but I'm worried about loosing some apps, since I'm new to iPhones I dont know if after a restore you can just redownload the apps you want via the iPhone app store or if I have to actually back them up to iTunes at all... If I do have to back my apps up to iTunes, does having my device jail broke effect the back up?

The ONLY thing I want to keep is some of the apps and maybe contacts, everything else im not fussed about... How would I do this without restoring my phone back to how it is now...

Thanks, and sorry about the noobie questions, first restore, so I'm a litte nervous of having to pay for my apps again...
imDanielWood is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2012, 01:43 PM   #2
Kyotoma
macrumors 68000

Your apps should be fine and as long as your contacts are synced to iTunes, iCloud, or an email account you should be able to get those back as soon as you sync your iPhone or set up iCloud/Email account via Settings.

Again, You'll be fine. You don't have to pay for your Apps again. Just go to the App Store after you sign in with your Apple ID on your iPhone and if you go the the Updates section there should be another section within that called 'Purchased". There you will find all of the Apps you have downloaded/bought via the App Store. Feel free to check it out before you restore if you want to.

Anyways, restoring via iTunes is fairly simple. Just hit Restore and iTunes should take care of the rest. After it completes, choose 'Set up as new iPhone' on both the iPhone and in iTunes. Then you can use Absinthe to reJailbreak your device.
Old May 30, 2012, 02:02 PM   #3
imDanielWood
macrumors member

Thanks! I've just been to look at the app store on my iPhone, not iTunes and in Updates>Purchase History there isn't any, is it that I've already got them installed so it's not showing apps available for download again? If possible after restoring using the 'restore as new iPhone' option is just like to go into the app store on my iPhone and redownload the apps I want from there...

Thanks again.
Old May 30, 2012, 06:18 PM   #4
imDanielWood
macrumors member

Anybody? I'd just like confirmation before I restore...
Old May 31, 2012, 07:24 AM   #5
iFix
macrumors newbie

1. delete apps you dont want from iphone.
2. backup using itunes. (your apps will be saved in your computer)
3. restore
4. setup iphone as new, connect to wifi, skip icloud
5. jailbreak
6. open cydia, click manage and add source sinfuliphonerepo.com
7. search in cydia - appsync ios 5.x+ and install it
8. restore from backup

your contacts and the apps you only wanted will be installed.
iFix is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks