Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Wasteland

Closed Thread

Old May 30, 2012, 02:22 PM   #1
KAB2010
macrumors 6502

Deleted Cydia... Please help

So I didn't know what I was doing and was dumb enough to delete Cydia and whatever else was in the file, even though it warned me not to. Then I restored my iPhone from a backup I made before jailbreaking and my iPhone is still jailbroken. Is there a way I can get Cydia back? I never installed iFile or anything like that. I tried to rejailbreak but all it said was it is already jailbroken. I thought restoring from a backup would get rid of the jailbreak anyway. I'm lost..
KAB2010 is offline   -1
Old May 30, 2012, 02:38 PM   #2
Nand
macrumors regular

Restore...but not from a backup
Nand is online now   -2
Old May 30, 2012, 02:41 PM   #3
KAB2010
macrumors 6502

I'm doing that now and its making me download 5.1.1 even though I already have it. That'll take forever with my slow internet. Can I restore from backup after all that to get back my apps, data, contacts, messages, etc. back?
KAB2010 is offline   0
Old May 30, 2012, 02:44 PM   #4
Kyotoma
macrumors 68000

It's less hassle if you don't do that. Also a lot less buggy. You should be able to get back your Apps/Contacts manually either through iTunes or your iCloud/Mail accounts. Also, you can retrieve your Photos from the device just like a USB key if you're using Windows. Just navigate to the iPhone directory and after a few sub folders you'll see a folder with your Photos inside. Copy them to your computer and there you go. Photos saved.

EDIT: it might also be more worth your while to download a stock iPhone firmware outside of iTunes. That way you can keep restoring to it no matter how much you mess up your iPhone. Plus, you won't have to wait for it to download next time.
Old May 30, 2012, 02:56 PM   #5
Nand
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAB2010 View Post
I'm doing that now and its making me download 5.1.1 even though I already have it. That'll take forever with my slow internet. Can I restore from backup after all that to get back my apps, data, contacts, messages, etc. back?
sync
Restore
Sync ( get back your photos,apps etc)
Jailbreak again
Nand is online now   1
Old May 30, 2012, 03:22 PM   #6
KAB2010
macrumors 6502

iTunes update failed cause my connection isn't fast enough. Had like 60 minutes remaining. Why do I have to redownload software I already have?! This is ridiculous.

Also, Safari force closes everytime now for some reason.
KAB2010 is offline   0
Old May 30, 2012, 03:29 PM   #7
NanoNyrd
macrumors regular

It may redownload because Apple has released two versions of iOS 5.1.1 for the iPhone 4 GSM. Or just because it cannot find the file.

You can hold the Cmd key (on a Mac) or the Alt key (Windows) while pressing the restore button in iTunes, then you can select the .ipsw file manually and prevent an extra download.
NanoNyrd is offline   0
Old May 30, 2012, 03:34 PM   #8
KAB2010
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by NanoNyrd View Post
It may redownload because Apple has released two versions of iOS 5.1.1 for the iPhone 4 GSM. Or just because it cannot find the file.

You can hold the Cmd key (on a Mac) or the Alt key (Windows) while pressing the restore button in iTunes, then you can select the .ipsw file manually and prevent an extra download.
I am using Windows 7 and holding Alt while clicking restore didn't do anything besides the normal process of installing the update.
KAB2010 is offline   0
Old May 30, 2012, 03:37 PM   #9
ZCherub
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
I am using Windows 7 and holding Alt while clicking restore didn't do anything besides the normal process of installing the update.
On Windows, it's SHIFT > Restore. This should pull up a window that asks you to navigate to the iPSW that you downloaded to your PC.

iP4S (16GB) | 5.1.1 stock firmware
ZCherub is offline   0
Old May 30, 2012, 03:40 PM   #10
Kyotoma
macrumors 68000

You can download the raw IPSW file here.
Old May 30, 2012, 03:41 PM   #11
ZCherub
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyotoma View Post
You can download the raw IPSW file here.
I would go this route. That way, you have the firmware on your computer, and it's just a matter of installing it and the entire process is less reliant on your internet connection. Good luck.

ZCherub is offline   0
Old May 30, 2012, 03:44 PM   #12
KAB2010
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZCherub View Post
On Windows, it's SHIFT > Restore. This should pull up a window that asks you to navigate to the iPSW that you downloaded to your PC.
Okay that worked but I don't know where to locate the iPSW. It never tells me where it is sent.
KAB2010 is offline   -1
Old May 30, 2012, 03:50 PM   #13
ZCherub
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Okay that worked but I don't know where to locate the iPSW. It never tells me where it is sent.
Then you should select where you save it to just like when you download any other file that you want to keep track of. I make a desktop folder called pwnage. Worst case scenario, you can save the IPSW to your desktop so you don't lose it. Redownload and pay attention to where you put it this time.

ZCherub is offline   0
Old May 30, 2012, 03:54 PM   #14
KAB2010
macrumors 6502

Okay I am downloading the raw iPSW. Once that is installed and I choose it from the restore option, will I be able to restore from the backup I had before the jailbreak to get everything I had back? Don't want to lose all my app data, contacts, and settings.
KAB2010 is offline   -1
Old May 30, 2012, 03:57 PM   #15
ZCherub
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Okay I am downloading the raw iPSW. Once that is installed and I choose it from the restore option, will I be able to restore from the backup I had before the jailbreak to get everything I had back? Don't want to lose all my app data, contacts, and settings.
Yes you can. But if it's buggy for some reason, I'd recommend setting up as a new iPhone and syncing your apps/contacts again later.

ZCherub is offline   0
Old May 30, 2012, 04:26 PM   #16
KAB2010
macrumors 6502

My beef with this whole situation is that if deleting Cydia is so harmful to the phone, why allow me to do it at all? Also, when restoring your phone to a backup created pre-jailbreak, there should be no more issues. It should do exactly what it says and work properly. I understand theres plenty of complicated things going on that I don't know about, but the people who created all of this should have these programs working exactly as they should to keep these things from ever happening.
KAB2010 is offline   -4
Old May 30, 2012, 04:42 PM   #17
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

Thumbs down

Quote:
My beef with this whole situation is that if deleting Cydia is so harmful to the phone, why allow me to do it at all? Also, when restoring your phone to a backup created pre-jailbreak, there should be no more issues. It should do exactly what it says and work properly. I understand theres plenty of complicated things going on that I don't know about, but the people who created all of this should have these programs working exactly as they should to keep these things from ever happening.
I know, its the people who created cydia fault
Why would you even JB your iphone and then delete cydia? And after all the warnings still do it?
Then point the finger at everyone else but yourself...
Applejuiced is offline   3
Old May 30, 2012, 04:53 PM   #18
ZCherub
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
With all the warnings that pop up, they make it pretty fool-proof. It's just that you happen to have done a very stupid thing this time around in spite of the software telling you not to. Live and learn...

ZCherub is offline   1
Old May 30, 2012, 06:26 PM   #19
KAB2010
macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted

Never said it wasn't my fault. I'm simply saying they could disable it being deleted period. Not all of us have the time to learn what all the tech talk means so I'd like to see it be made fool proof. Just like I'd like to see iTunes work perfectly when I say restore from a pre-jailbreak backup the first time. These are people's jobs, so offering suggestions to do them a little better isn't so wrong of me.

Thanks to all that helped me. Everything is working now.
KAB2010 is offline   -3
Old May 30, 2012, 11:18 PM   #20
iThinkergoiMac
macrumors 68030

Quote:
My beef with this whole situation is that if deleting Cydia is so harmful to the phone, why allow me to do it at all?
Quote:
I'm simply saying they could disable it being deleted period. Not all of us have the time to learn what all the tech talk means so I'd like to see it be made fool proof. Just like I'd like to see iTunes work perfectly when I say restore from a pre-jailbreak backup the first time. These are people's jobs, so offering suggestions to do them a little better isn't so wrong of me.
The whole point of jailbreaking your iPhone is so you can do whatever you want with it. Thus preventing you from deleting Cydia would be counter-productive. If you don't have time to learn what it all means, don't do it. Any why would you expect iTunes to work perfectly on a device you've modified outside what it's programmed to expect? Many Cydia devs make no money from their work, so, no, it's not their jobs.
Old May 31, 2012, 12:17 AM   #21
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

Thumbs down

Quote:
Wirelessly posted

Never said it wasn't my fault. I'm simply saying they could disable it being deleted period. Not all of us have the time to learn what all the tech talk means so I'd like to see it be made fool proof. Just like I'd like to see iTunes work perfectly when I say restore from a pre-jailbreak backup the first time. These are people's jobs, so offering suggestions to do them a little better isn't so wrong of me.

Thanks to all that helped me. Everything is working now.
Any software can be deleted, its software.
Its noones jobs to make sure you cant delete whatever you want to delete. That's what a JB is all about, to give the user more controll and full access to their device. And then there's clueless people that have no idea what they're doing screwing it up and then blaming the JB scene because they didnt make it completelly idiot-proof? Really?
I "accidentally" delete cydia after 2-3 confirmations telling me not to and then its the devs fault. People like you should never JB period. Stay stock, at least with that you cant delete the phone app or the appstore icon.

Last edited by maflynn; Jun 3, 2012 at 06:48 AM. Reason: name calling
Applejuiced is offline   5
Old May 31, 2012, 09:46 AM   #22
ZCherub
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Wirelessly posted
These are people's jobs, so offering suggestions to do them a little better isn't so wrong of me.
No, it isn't their job. They do it for free - that's why there is an option to donate to the dev team (not pay them for services rendered). I would listen to 'Juiced above and stay clear of jailbreaking since you obviously don't want to invest any time into figuring out what you're doing, and are prone do doing stupid things without reading - then blame others.

ZCherub is offline   0
Old Jun 2, 2012, 03:46 AM   #23
DDustiNN
macrumors 6502a

How do you even delete Cydia? When I longpress my icons to get the wiggles with the X's, Cydia is treated like a stock app - no X, meaning I can't delete it.
DDustiNN is offline   0
Old Jun 2, 2012, 04:00 AM   #24
nwmtnbiker
macrumors 65816

I would guess he deleted a package, source from Cydia. But you could probably also delete it from SBSettings and for sure could delete with iFile or ssh. But yeah can't explain the unexplained lol...
Old Jun 4, 2012, 04:31 PM   #25
thelatinist
macrumors 603

Quote:
I'm simply saying they could disable it being deleted period.
The only way I know of to do that would be to impose a chroot jail on the device. Can you imagine the outrage if Saurik tried to re-jail iPhones using the excuse that a couple of idiots might be undissuaded by three prominent warnings?

Besides, there may in fact be legitimate reasons to want to delete Cydia. Who are you to say that others shouldn't have that option just because you can't follow directions? Jail breaking is about freedom and control. If you want a phone that's locked down to what one dev thinks you should be able to do with it, stay stock. I'm sure you'd be much more comfortabke inside the chroot jail.

Last edited by thelatinist; Jun 5, 2012 at 02:04 PM.
thelatinist is offline   1

Closed Thread
MacRumors Forums > Archive > Wasteland