Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Qaanol

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 21, 2010
Does there exist a tweak that allows keyboard shortcuts to consist entirely of spaces?

When I try to make a keyboard shortcut that outputs the tab symbol, iOS refuses to save it, giving a message, “The phrase cannot be all spaces.”

Now, it’s not a huge deal, because I just made the shortcut output a tab followed by a period, so I can type in “tabsymbol” to get them, then delete the period. I did the same thing for my shortcut “nobreakspace”, which makes a nonbreaking space and a period.

However, I’d prefer not to have to include the extra symbol in the shortcut. So, does anyone know of a tweak that allows keyboard shortcut phrases to be all spaces?

(I made a whole bunch of shortcuts like that, so if I type in “emdash” I get an em dash, if I type “squareroot” I get a radical, and so forth. It’s only the nonbreaking space and the tab that cannot be saved properly.)

If no such tweak exists I might try making it myself. I’m reasonably competent at programming, but I’ve never written a jailbreak tweak to modify an existing app (Settings in this case) before. Do you know of any good resources for learning how to do that on iOS?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.