Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TxTime

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 27, 2012
Until a recent purchase of a Late 2011 MBP I have never minded spending slightly less to upgrade older MBPs with a RAM module that didn't carry the "Apple Recommended" or "For Apple" tags in the descriptions. I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience with both varieties on the latest available model Macbook Pro. Is this just marketing? Thanks.

Scott

Astroboy907

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2012
Spaceball One
Until a recent purchase of a Late 2011 MBP I have never minded spending slightly less to upgrade older MBPs with a RAM module that didn't carry the "Apple Recommended" or "For Apple" tags in the descriptions. I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience with both varieties on the latest available model Macbook Pro. Is this just marketing? Thanks.

Scott

RAM is RAM. just make sure to get the right speed (higher speeds *should* not be an issue but you can never really tell). Apple certified means nothing really. You probably do want RAM with good reviews, hopefully not a lot of kernel panic/BSOD problems in the review. I recommend crucial, but it can get expensive in larger sizes...

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Certified most likely means they tested to see that it works on the Mac.

Funny thing is… Macs today are nothing more than simple PCs running OS X.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
You can find specs on all Apple products, including maximum RAM:

jtcedinburgh

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2010
On a slight tangent...

Does anyone have any idea what modules and speed are likely to be used in the forthcoming MBP refresh?

I'd *like* to get 16Gb ram from the start, but not at Apple's prices. So, with that in mind it would be nice to get a feel for how much Crucial would charge*.

* I'm in the UK so NewEgg no good to me - Crucial is the company I've used in the past and they've been pretty good really.

dusk007

macrumors 68040
Dec 5, 2009
Certified most likely means they tested to see that it works on the Mac.
Certified usually means that some 3rd party tested it and got paid for that testing, so the company is allowed to put a certified sticker on it. Because there is almost always money involved those sticks usually cost more, and since they are no different than the rest it is a complete waste of money.

BasilFawlty

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2009
New Mexico
Buy from Crucial / Newegg...Not Apple...The prices are crazy, but I have used Crucial for years without issues...Memory comes with a lifetime warranty too. Use the scanner on the site to correctly identify the modules you need for your model.

http://www.crucial.com/?click=true

I have 16GB of Crucial in my MBP as well. I called Crucial Tech line and asked if there was any actually difference between the regular RAM or the "Mac-certified" (and thus more expensive) RAM. The guy was honest with me and said they are off the same exact line - just that the Apple FRAM has been run through some tests to "ensure" it's compatible. I bought the regular, cheaper RAM and have been using it for several months with no problems.

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
Hi,

Which brand(s) of RAM do Apple install in the notebooks?

Bazzy!

Apple uses Hynix, Micron, and Samsung RAM primarily. You'll always have two of the same, but it's a toss up which you'll get in any particular machine.

jW

MagicBoy

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2006
Manchester, UK
Try Crucial. I've never had an issue with in in any of my Macs, and it's a fraction of the cost from Apple.

The RAM that shipped in my Mac mini was Micron - same as crucial.

A7ibaba

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2012
Sweden
I buyed Kingston and didn't work corectly.Ocassionay i get kernel panic.After i back orginal ram which arrived with macbook it worked without errors.After that i buyed patriot and also i got kernel panic ocasionaly without pattern. After that i returned ram and ordered OWC and now finaly working without errors.

rev.b

macrumors regular
May 1, 2009
Portugal
One vote for crucial.

Had 3 Mac's upgraded with crucial ram (iMac '09, MBP '10, MBP '11) with zero issues.

Excellent value for money, too.

ron1004

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2010
Louisville, KY
My late 2011 17" MBP had Samsung RAM installed, and I stuck that when I went to 8GB.

Please help me understand and decide which of these two deals is best.

I opened my MBP and note the the RAM is Samsung (made in China)
2GB PC 10600S

The price is virtually the same for these two options, but I'm not sure which is faster/better.

Option 1
Crucial
8GB Kit (4GBx2), 204-pin SODIMM, DDR3 PC3-10600 memory module

Option 2
Samsung (made in Korea)
8GB DDR3-1600 (PC3-12800) CL11 SO-DIMM Dual Channel Laptop Memory Kit (Two 4GB Memory Modules)

https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=14865763#post14865763

Crucial price $45.99 speed 1333mHz

Samsung price $46.99 speed 1600mHz

At that price difference, the Samsung is a no brainer.

Last edited:

RockPortTech

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2011
South Texas
Save your money, buy Crucial or any other brand that is NOT Apple branded. I did, my MacBook Pro with 8Gb of non-Apple-brand RAM runs like the Dickens.

ron1004

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2010
Louisville, KY
Save your money, buy Crucial or any other brand that is NOT Apple branded. I did, my MacBook Pro with 8Gb of non-Apple-brand RAM runs like the Dickens.
I don't think that you'll find "Apple Brand" RAM anywhere - doesn't exist.

MagicBoy

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2006
Manchester, UK
I don't think that you'll find "Apple Brand" RAM anywhere - doesn't exist.

Depends on the CPU. The memory controller in mine supports 1066/1333 according to Intel.

spyguy10709

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2010
One Infinite Loop, Cupertino CA
I buyed Kingston and didn't work corectly.Ocassionay i get kernel panic.After i back orginal ram which arrived with macbook it worked without errors.After that i buyed patriot and also i got kernel panic ocasionaly without pattern. After that i returned ram and ordered OWC and now finaly working without errors.

If you're not a native english speaker, please disregard this post, but you sound like you need a simpler computer. To be honest, I don't think you can install a USB device, let alone RAM.

And to the OP - Go with the generic.

A7ibaba

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2012
Sweden
If you're not a native english speaker, please disregard this post, but you sound like you need a simpler computer. To be honest, I don't think you can install a USB device, let alone RAM.

And to the OP - Go with the generic.

;) Sorry.What i meant to say,i tested random memory manufacturer and only OWC show the best performance in terms of compatibility

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.