Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

witness

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2005
Austria
That is a fantastic keyboard. The uses are almost endless.

When you run XP on your Intel Mac you'll be able to swap the apple key for a Windows key :)

EGT

macrumors 68000
Sep 4, 2003
Very nifty.

It looks quite big though. Wonder if they could fit it in the Powerbooks.

Jay42

macrumors 65816
Jul 14, 2005
Wow...when's the last time you saw *real* innovation in a keyboard? Does it produce its own light at night? How much eye strain when looking at it? Price could definately be a big deal breaker here.

Josh

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2004
State College, PA
That is the coolest idea I've seen in a LONG time. That would be so incredibly usefull

Probably quite expensive for the casual user, but oh me oh my...thats nice!

kwajo.com

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
Bay of Fundy
I agree, this keyboard is fantastic! I hope it changes the display on the keys when you hit a modifier too, that would make it even more amazing!

qzak

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2005
awesome

wow thats cool. it would be sweet to be able to quickly change keyboard layouts from normal, to photoshop, illustrator, etc. plus having the icons on the shortcut keys is just cool lol

still a prototype, :( that sucks. wonder how much this thing would cost

hmg

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 17, 2004
Sydney Australia
prototype atm

hob said:
Is this just a showcase idea or is it actually going to be produced? I want one!

showcase only at this time.... hoping for a consumer electronics company to take it up I guess...

joecool85

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2005
Maine
I would LOVE to see this sold with PowerMacs...and/or any mac. What a sweet keyboard! I'll take three.

zelmo

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2004
Mac since 7.5
Very slick idea. When you press the modifiers (ctrl, opt, cmd, shift), I would hope the OLED keys would change to reflect the revised character mapping. Too cool, and much easier than remembering all the key combo's. It is just a prototype at this point, but I sure hope someone takes a hard look at it as a real (but expensive) product.
I don't know a ton about OLED. Would all those little displays would be quite a drain on the battery power? Would the switchable display files for the keys be kept on the computer and transmitted via BT, or maybe on some internal flash drive in the housing?

telecomm

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2003
Rome
Wow... if it's made to be wireless (is it at this point?) I wonder how hard it would be on batteries...

mcarnes

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2004
USA! USA!
Apple really is the company to fully develop something like this, since they completely control the hardware and software. They could make it do even more.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Help! I bought this keyboard and plugged it into my Windows box, but only three of the keys light up! Okay, fine, if I want to do stuff that only requires control, alt and delete, but what about the actual letters and numbers!? :eek: ;) :D

Seriously, this is a neat idea. You never know, with electronics manufacturing economy of scale....this could be a very interesting thing.

I wonder too if someone could come up with a more effective keyboard that has less keys on it, using this, that adaptively shifts key assignments? :)

Linkjeniero

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2005
I want one. NOW!! However, I don't see Apple including such a keyboard with their computers (except as a BTO), because probably going to be quite expensive, so it's not such a good idea to ramp up the price on PowerMac on say, 200 bucks, just for this. Besides, I don't know how many of these Apple could sell, thanks to the average consumer's ignorance... (wow, cool keyboard, too bad it's for macs only). I think this is good for a company like Logitech... but I hope they make fully mac compatible, not like their BT one :(.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.