Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pdpfilms

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 29, 2004
Vermontana
I recently noticed my home disk was getting low on space, so I'm looking to replace it. I've expanded my hard drive space in my G5 before, but it was with a SATA PCI card, so I'm not 100% sure on the type of interface used by the computer itself. SATA, right?

Also, what would be the best way of dumping all the files from my home disk (including the OS files so that it becomes the boot disk)? And then once that is complete, how do I set a startup disk?

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
There are 2 dive bays in the G5 towers, the stock configuration has one SATA drive and one empty bay. The cables and mounting screws are provided by Apple. Installation is a doddle.

Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper are the applications of choice for cloning a hard drive.

pdpfilms

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 29, 2004
Vermontana
The other drive bay is being used as part of a RAID array, so I can't keep the new one there. I could temporarily take it out to move files over, but in the end I want to have a new 400gb disk in the upper bay, my existing 250gb drive in the lower bay, and the old 160gb drive on ebay.

Ryan T.

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2005
Rochester, NY
CanadaRAM said:
There are 2 dive bays in the G5 towers, the stock configuration has one SATA drive and one empty bay. The cables and mounting screws are provided by Apple. Installation is a doddle.

Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper are the applications of choice for cloning a hard drive.
You always seem to know what you're talking about. I bought a second hand G5, and it doesnt include any accessories save the keyboard and mouse. I think I saw the cables in there, but are the screws waiting too or should I expect to look for some of those that will fit?

thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.