Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old May 31, 2012, 05:25 PM   #76
annuk
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by blow45 View Post
of course it is, it's the core of the os. OS X and ios share the darwin unix compliant kernel which is also released as open source software. It's incremental release in the kernel is an upgrade to the kernel.
what i meant by why is it important is, why make such a big deal about a new kernel version i mean they do this almost every major ios release. Right?

Last edited by annuk; May 31, 2012 at 05:29 PM. Reason: wrong quote
annuk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2012, 05:39 PM   #77
nick_elt
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLewis View Post
This. I have a launch-day 3GS that still gets daily use, and the home button is still going strong.
I am using a 3g (no s) that the back is cracked the whole way down, parts are broken off, power button does not work but the home button is going strong. But please apple release the new iphone im desperate for a new iphone that doesnt lag!!!

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by MythicFrost View Post
It's just slightly higher clocked. Hopefully it's got a quad-core CPU though.
I realise it wont but id rather have a dual core a15 than quad a9
nick_elt is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2012, 06:31 PM   #78
MythicFrost
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_elt View Post
Yeah me too, but a quad-core Cortex A9 is still good as well. It's quad-core A15 next year...

>>>>>

There's two possibilities here:

1) The new iPhone does have a 16:9 aspect ratio and the SGX543 variant is the SGX543MP2 with a 20% increase in clock speed
2) The new iPhone has a 1440x960 (3:2) resolution and the SGX543 variant is the MP3.
MythicFrost is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2012, 08:04 PM   #79
MacinDoc
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxMcCloud View Post
Why are these leaked shots always terrible quality, like they were taken with a terrible camera phone from 2004?
They would likely be taken by some fixed-focus spy cam. You can't just walk into the factory of an Apple supplier with a dSLR in hand and broadcast the fact that you are taking pictures of parts slated for Apple's next secret product.

Besides which, the Apple rumor community has always had a romantic attachment to blurry elevator pics, even going back to the bad old days before SJ's return.
Old May 31, 2012, 10:49 PM   #80
annuk
macrumors newbie

So if OSX is unix based does that mean Ubuntu or Linux mint applications are compatable OSX and vice verses?
annuk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2012, 12:33 AM   #81
doelcm82
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajcadoo View Post
Nope, Apple better create something that will blow MotionX's Drive app outta the water. MotionX's app is good but I want something better. Apple has had YEARS to upgrade its Maps App. I have high expectations.
I have high hopes for the Maps app. The current Maps app has been pretty good, but 3D terrain and landmarks could be very useful.

Even if there are some kinks at first, Apple will issue point upgrades to fix them, and I have fall-back apps for mapping.

Really I want Apple to get rid of Google Maps because the feature war can't really start until Apple and Google have competing map products.
doelcm82 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2012, 12:33 AM   #82
lincolntran
macrumors 6502

Ugly

This will be one ugly iPhone.

The 4 and 4S is very balanced. It's not too long, not too short, not too wide, not too narrow in comparison with its height. Balance is a very very important concept in making things look beautiful. If this will be the next version of iPhone, it is an ugly one. It's too long.
lincolntran is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2012, 12:34 AM   #83
nuckinfutz
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by lincolntran View Post
It's too long.
That's what she said......to me.

nuckinfutz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2012, 01:02 AM   #84
Moccasin
macrumors 6502a

I'm very skeptical that this is indeed from the new iPhone. My suspicion is that these are deliberate leaks of a dummy iPhone designed to put competitors off the scent or keep them guessing.

I may well be proved wrong (although I hope not - it's hardly their best/most innovative design). If not a deliberate attempt to fool people, it may be a prototype/proof of concept design to test the components and ergonomics of the shape without giving away the real design - or any clever new features they want to keep under wraps until launch.
Moccasin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2012, 01:10 AM   #85
MythicFrost
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moccasin View Post
I'm very skeptical that this is indeed from the new iPhone. My suspicion is that these are deliberate leaks of a dummy iPhone designed to put competitors off the scent or keep them guessing.

I may well be proved wrong (although I hope not - it's hardly their best/most innovative design). If not a deliberate attempt to fool people, it may be a prototype/proof of concept design to test the components and ergonomics of the shape without giving away the real design - or any clever new features they want to keep under wraps until launch.
Exactly -- truly I hope this is the case. It could be a prototype or a decoy, but hopefully what it can't be is the real thing! It's not so much the design I'm worried about, although I think 3:2 is a much better ratio than 16:9 as it's a good balance between width and height, but it's more the black borders on apps until they're updated that bothers me.
MythicFrost is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2012, 01:23 AM   #86
FoxMcCloud
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by lincolntran View Post
This will be one ugly iPhone.

The 4 and 4S is very balanced. It's not too long, not too short, not too wide, not too narrow in comparison with its height. Balance is a very very important concept in making things look beautiful. If this will be the next version of iPhone, it is an ugly one. It's too long.
Everyone said that about the iPhone 4 leaked pictures.
"that's a fake!"
"it's too in-apple"
"jony ive would never design that"
"it has seams and screws, it goes against the apple way"
"those plastic divider seems aren't uniform, apple doesn't do products like that"
"that's the ugliest thing I've ever seen, I will never buy it"
"this will flop, hard, no one wants a glass phone"

Etc...however, when Steve jobs came on stage and showed a phone that looked exactly like the leaks...

"zomg it's beautiful I want it"
"it's sooo apple"
"those seams are the best feature!"

Etc etc

Needless to say, the iPhone 4 went on to be like the bestest selling device evar.

I got the iPhone 4 because finally the iPhone wasn't crap, it had excellent hardware and power and looked great. The software was finally decent enough too with ios 4. Certainly worthy of my purchase. I've had it two years now and think I'll get this once it's available.
FoxMcCloud is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2012, 03:18 AM   #87
v.pic
macrumors newbie

did anyone even inspect these pictures?

http://9to5mac.files.wordpress.com/2...ckandwhite.png

take yourself over to the headphone jack that was "moved to the bottom of the phone." (which in itself makes me giggle at the absurdity. will iPhone owners all carry their phones in their pockets upside-down now? to listen to music?)
make sure that you're zoomed into the Black iPhone's "bottom" headphone jack though. you can see through it – it looks like on the other side of the hole that there's a metalic bezel.
as if putting a case around a black iPhone 4S with a hole at the bottom.... you see through to an aluminium bezel.

Last edited by v.pic; Jun 1, 2012 at 03:25 AM.
v.pic is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2012, 03:27 AM   #88
nuckinfutz
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by v.pic View Post
did anyone even inspect these pictures?

http://9to5mac.files.wordpress.com/2...ckandwhite.png

take yourself over to the headphone jack that was "moved to the bottom of the phone." (which in itself makes me giggle at the absurdity. will iPhone owners all carry their phones in their pockets upside-down now? to listen to music?)
They're cases. They never said they were complete phones. If someone is listening to music what does it matter what orientation the phone is in their pocket?
nuckinfutz is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2012, 09:49 AM   #89
chrmjenkins
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckinfutz View Post
They're cases. They never said they were complete phones. If someone is listening to music what does it matter what orientation the phone is in their pocket?
It's actually better if it is bottom up. Then you can pull the phone partially out to hit the home button and use the controls.
Old Jun 1, 2012, 10:10 AM   #90
jonnysods
macrumors 68030

The band across the back looks weird on the white version, okay on the black. I was hoping that they wouldn't use glass again.
Old Jun 1, 2012, 10:38 AM   #91
marcusj0015
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlosTheJackl View Post
AND in my opinion from this pic
It looks like that weird middle section actually is due to a wrapper of some kind maybe. By the Apple logo it looks like it's bubbled there, thats also ignoring the incorrect font
No, you can see the plastic extend a little bit off the edge of the metal part, it's clearly protective plastic.
marcusj0015 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2012, 11:29 AM   #92
nuckinfutz
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrmjenkins View Post
It's actually better if it is bottom up. Then you can pull the phone partially out to hit the home button and use the controls.
Good point. I know when i'm in my car it becomes a tangled mess when i've got my headphone jack used and my power. The iPhone becomes sort of an inline dongle.

I know some people have said they can't listen their phone through headphones docked but I'm thinking that's a pretty rare case.
nuckinfutz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2012, 06:25 PM   #93
saberz
macrumors member

I think its not the real design. Remember they said that they were testing it in the guise of an iphone 4/4s? It might be taller to accomadate the hardware but might be a little wider and look totally different on release.
saberz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2012, 10:05 PM   #94
v.pic
macrumors newbie

Yeah I did consider it could appear that way because it's a shell.

& Don't get me wrong, I can see why some people would like it on the bottom of the phone, but I don't think that'd be the common opinion on the change, and I just can't see Apple doing it.

There's more than one thing that makes me think this is nothing like the next iPhone that we will see revealed soon enough.
Old Jun 3, 2012, 10:23 PM   #95
dcorban
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by v.pic View Post
will iPhone owners all carry their phones in their pockets upside-down now? to listen to music?
I already keep my phone upside-down in my pocket. Doesn't everyone? When I reach into my pocket and pull my phone out, it is oriented so I can read it. If you kept your phone the other way ("rightside-up"), then the screen would be upside-down to you when you pull it out.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 06:15 AM   #96
nick_elt
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_elt View Post
I am using a 3g (no s) that the back is cracked the whole way down, parts are broken off, power button does not work but the home button is going strong. But please apple release the new iphone im desperate for a new iphone that doesnt lag!!!

----------

nick_elt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 12:12 AM   #97
typecase
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckinfutz View Post
LOL iMovie today is far more comprehensible than the old iMovie HD which wasn't quite consumer friendly.

Final Cut X is taking baby steps but has a brighter future ( a more modern future). Have no clue what you're referencing with Firewire changes.

Google Maps is "ok" but i'm pretty jazzed on seeing what Placebase, Poly9 and C3 technology can come together as a unified product. The first version is bound to be conservative but it too should show some great forward leaning functionality
I hope you realize now that I was right.
typecase is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion