Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

With Apple reportedly abandoning Google in favor of its own mapping solution for iOS 6, 9to5Google reports that Google will be holding an event on June 6 to show off "The Next Dimension of Google Maps". The event comes just five days before Apple is expected to show off details of iOS 6 at its Worldwide Developers Conference keynote.
At this invitation-only press gathering, Brian McClendon, VP of Google Maps and Google Earth, will give you a behind-the-scenes look at Google Maps and share our vision. We'll also demo some of the newest technology and provide a sneak peek at upcoming features that will help people get where they want to go - both physically and virtually. We hope to see you there.
google_maps_event_invite.jpg

Apple has relied on Google to provide the mapping functionality in iOS since the iPhone's initial launch back in 2007. But as competition between the two companies has ramped up, Apple has been working to strengthen its expertise in mapping with the acquisition of several small companies and has been gradually moving certain location and mapping services in-house. That transition is expected to culminate in iOS 6 with the core mapping application shifting from Google to Apple.

The timing of Google's event naturally leads to speculation that it has been specifically planned to upstage any Apple announcement about mapping in iOS 6 and to show what users will be missing out on with the transition by Apple.

Article Link: Google to Show Off 'Next Dimension' of Maps on June 6

mbarriault

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2008
The timing is way too suspicious for this to have been independently scheduled.

And the likely, most hilarious thing is, Google will be having their collective asses handed to them just days later.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Damn, I guess we can confirmed that Apple really did drop Google Maps from their new iOS.

I can see it now, "Apple copied Google Maps comments."

burnside

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2010
And the likely, most hilarious thing is, Google will be having their collective asses handed to them just days later.

I think Google will have a better map experience than what Apple (via the purchase of a third party map app) will.

As far as the OS is concerned, who knows, guess we'll see.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
Ya know. google will probably always have a better mapping program but I don't care. I can get by without looking at people being surprised by that intrusive street car and packet sniffer machine.

Screw google and the thieving little car they drove in on.

Last edited:

One Bad Duck

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2005
Mapping competition

I suspect shares in Garmin and TomTom have just tanked. As the service of navigation turns to being better and better as a free service.

rnizlek

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2004
Washington, DC
Standalone Maps app for iOS :wink:

I hope so. Unless Apple maps replicate Google's transit routing functionality, I'll be sticking with Google for a long time. Really, I just hope Apple gives us a choice in map providers, but I know that won't happen.

bazaarsoft

macrumors newbie
Apr 7, 2005
Microsoft Strategy

It's pathetic to see Google resort to these well-known Microsoft strategies - preview technology that someone else is about to release for real. I have very little doubt that they'll show "in the lab" concepts with no real ship dates/timelines, etc. Attempt to create the impression of being the leader while in reality just following the leader.

Google truly is the next Microsoft.

milbournosphere

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2009
San Diego, CA
I'm sorry but Apple's map offerings are pathetic. I still find it hilarious that they can't (won't?) match Google's basic (and included out of the box) navigation app, despite having put out multiple versions of iOS and hardware revisions since Android's release. In my opinion, lack of turn-by-turn navigation is the iPhone's biggest failure.

paul4339

macrumors 65816
Sep 14, 2009
The shame is that Google is known to have one of the better mapping solutions; they just need to relentlessly make it better.

By scheduling a 'demo of things to come soon' on the coat tail of a Apple's presentation it makes them look like a bunch of followers with a 'me too' solution...they shouldn't need to do that, they are (were?) already in the lead.

iScott428

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2011
Orlando, FL
Doesn't matter who announces the new map system first but rather who is the first to bring it to mainstream market and use. I believe Apple's system will be cleaner and more reliable than google, while beating it to market as well.

brdeveloper

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
Brasil
I doubt Apple's map solution will be better than any other competitor at the launch. Or, perhaps iMaps will be useful only in US land at the first moment.

Some months ago I read something about Microsoft adopting Nokia map solution to replace Bing Maps, so looks like it's not so easy to bring an industry-standard map solution.

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
The shame is that Google is known to have one of the better mapping solutions; they just need to relentlessly make it better.

By scheduling a 'demo of things to come soon' on the coat tail of a Apple's presentation it makes them look like a bunch of followers with a 'me too' solution...they shouldn't need to do that, they are (were?) already in the lead.

um? Apple is the 'me too' when it comes to maps.

newdeal

macrumors 68030
Oct 21, 2009

Apples current google maps app is just fine. What they really need is turn by turn navigation powered by siri. Googles turn by turn is pretty darn good

Tarzanman

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2010
I can't blame Apple. They aren't a software company. They sell hardware and they just happen to make software in order to sell the hardware.

They are transitioning into a more software-centered company, but that is definitely going to take time... and one can hardly expect them to keep pace with one of the top software companies that has ever existed (Google) while they are doing so.

Apple doesn't have to beat google maps (nor could they, unless they threw an epic ton of money and time trying to do so). They just need to offer a usable alternative. I expect that Apple will be forced to allow Google apps/maps onto the iphone because Google still does make good software that many users will not want to go without.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.