Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jshoebox

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 31, 2012
Hi - first time poster, long time reader.

I'm considering jailbreaking my 4S and I've read quite a bit of the threads on how to do it, the dangers, and the cult of mac how to jailbreak your 5.1.1 with absinthe the right way article. I've read enough to know I'm not the first guy to post this question, but I've not found the answer to a few questions (and I dont know enough to know the answers - which I hope aren't obvious) so:

can I still use my .mac account for iTunes, Apps, and calendar - my wife and I use the same .mac account to keep I cal in sync?

will all the apps I have downloaded and use still work? (MLB 2012 etc?)

Where do I download and buy apps once its jail broken - I'm thinking of cool non supported apps like fold to unlock, and something to let me use 3G with facetime, etc.

chickenwingfly

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2012
the dangers
None at all, yes, if you go overboard it might become slower or reset itself sometimes; asides from that you're fine, go for it.
(There is only an issue about the iDevice failing and having to take it to an Apple store for guarantee and sometimes being stuck on NOT being able to un-jailbreak it, but at these times, usually, it's so screwed so to speak not even the guys at the Apple store will smell it. And this is IF a jailbroken iDevice wherever you live is considered a fault to guarantee, or whatever).

and the cult of mac how to jailbreak your 5.1.1 with absinthe the right way article
Actually Absinthe is so fool proof I almost laughed the entire process at how simple it has become.
Older jailbreak tools required you to enter DFU mode and the like, but this one is smooth as silk, we could train a monkey to do it.

ZCherub

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2010
GA, USA
Actually Absinthe is so fool proof I almost laughed the entire process at how simple it has become.
Older jailbreak tools required you to enter DFU mode and the like, but this one is smooth as silk, we could train a monkey to do it.

I haven't updated to 5.1.1 and JB yet - still on 5.1 tethered. I browsed through the tutorial, though and was amazed that it said nothing about DFU mode... Crazy. Only thing easier was the Jailbreakme.com jailbreak back in the days of 3.X.X - did that while waiting for a sandwich at a fast food place, lol...

BumpyFlatline

macrumors 68030
Apr 11, 2012
I haven't updated to 5.1.1 and JB yet - still on 5.1 tethered. I browsed through the tutorial, though and was amazed that it said nothing about DFU mode... Crazy. Only thing easier was the Jailbreakme.com jailbreak back in the days of 3.X.X - did that while waiting for a sandwich at a fast food place, lol...

Haha May 2011 I used the jailbreakme 3 for iOS 4.3.3 at a cookout 2 hours away from my house and my iTunes backup

ZCherub

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2010
GA, USA
Haha May 2011 I used the jailbreakme 3 for iOS 4.3.3 at a cookout 2 hours away from my house and my iTunes backup

Wasn't a version of GreenPois0n out then? I know I used GreenPois0n on 4.1 and stayed that way for a long time.... Was 4.3.3 the only Jailbreakme.com-able firmware in the 4.X.X range?

BumpyFlatline

macrumors 68030
Apr 11, 2012
Wasn't a version of GreenPois0n out then? I know I used GreenPois0n on 4.1 and stayed that way for a long time.... Was 4.3.3 the only Jailbreakme.com-able firmware in the 4.X.X range?

Jailbreakme 3 was the first public jailbreak for the iPad 2. Now that I think of it, I think it was more like July or August when I used it. It also supported other devices, including my 3GS at the time. The second version of jailbreakme was for 4.0.1 or something like that. Man those feel like they came out so long ago! Haha.

ZCherub

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2010
GA, USA
Jailbreakme 3 was the first public jailbreak for the iPad 2. Now that I think of it, I think it was more like July or August when I used it. It also supported other devices, including my 3GS at the time. The second version of jailbreakme was for 4.0.1 or something like that. Man those feel like they came out so long ago! Haha.

True - a couple of years is forever in tech...

jshoebox

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 31, 2012
None at all, yes, if you go overboard it might become slower or reset itself sometimes; asides from that you're fine, go for it.
(There is only an issue about the iDevice failing and having to take it to an Apple store for guarantee and sometimes being stuck on NOT being able to un-jailbreak it, but at these times, usually, it's so screwed so to speak not even the guys at the Apple store will smell it. And this is IF a jailbroken iDevice wherever you live is considered a fault to guarantee, or whatever).

Thanks - I'm sure I'll give it a try, I'm not sure what to expect at all, but I think the process will be worth it, just to peek outside Mac's walled garden

jshoebox

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 31, 2012
Tiny Umbrella - what the?!

newbie back again...

I downloaded and started tiny umbrella, and I have a couple questions or(?) problems:

1. My i Phone shows up 2x in the connected device field on the left. I only have one iPhone, and its only connected 1 time. What is this?

2. the first thing that pops up is a warning that "request SHSH from Cydia is set, which may cause problems..." it asks me to change this setting in the advanced tab and click apply changes. Theres a big bold warning NOT to modify the settings unless you know what you are doing (I clearly do not) so should I modify it or not?

3. I clicked the save SHSH button and I get a whole bunch of 06/03/2012 10:09:24.061 CYDIA DOES NOT HAVE YOUR SHSH FOR iPhone4S 5.1 (9B179) THERE IS NO WAY FOR YOU TO GET THEM. SORRY. YOU ARE JUST TOO LATE. it lists this about 10 times - and I did it for each of the "two" connected devices - each time it lists it the number in parentheses changes, but nothing else. What does this mean? the Jailbreak how to says it will take tiny umbrella time - but this is done in a matter of seconds and there is NO confirmation that anything was successful?

4. I assume that I'm doing something wrong, but I am out of my depth here and don't want to accidentally start breaking stuff (like the mac or iPhone). Please help - I want to do this so I learn, but I have extremely limited skills here...

chickenwingfly

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2012
TinyUmbrella is a precaution, hopefully you'll never have to really use it for anything else than saving SHSH blobs.

1. No idea.

2. Uncheck it. I think what that option means is this:
TinyUmbrella simply saves your SHSH blobs which are, like a encrypted key unique to each iDevice and is used to be able to upload some firmware. Cydia by default saves your SHSH blobs (you can check Cydia and I think on the bottom it will list whatever it has saved for you), but TinyUmbrella does as well (as a matter of fact, YOU installed TinyUmbrella for this purpose).
NOW, when a new firmware is released by Apple the gates of hell are closed and there is NO WAY that you can restore to an old firmware without authorization from Apple... or is it? Oh yeah, SHSH Blobs ;)
So think of this, let's say you are on 5.1.1, then Apple releases 5.1.2, you were having fun with your girlfriend that night and clicked YES on the "Upgrade to 5.1.2?" and bang!! You screwed up, now 5.1.2 is not jailbroken yet and your own hell just broke lose. But WAIT, did you manage to grab the SHSH blobs via Cydia/TinyUmbrella? YES!! You saved yourself, now you can downgrade to 5.1.1 via TinyUmbrella, by creating a "TSS Server" which is nothing but a fake Apple signing server that will trick iTunes to believe Apple is STILL signing 5.1.1 and with the SHSH Blobs saved you restore to that.
If you did not have the SHSH saved then you're screwed.
Now, can you use Cydia or should you use TinyUmbrella? I think Cydia is fine, but then go ahead and uncheck that option because you rather would use the SHSHs saved on TinyUmbrella than Cydia's.

3. When you open TinyUmbrella, it should say "All Saved SHSHs" and then list your device and 5.1.1 which is the current firmware. Other warnings in the process about old firmware (5.1) can be tossed right into the garbage can. If SHSHs don't appear to be saved, then you have a problem. And it takes seconds not minutes unless you're doing this on an Atari 2600 running Windows 3.1, which I doubt :)

4. I already told you whatever you needed to know (mostly) about TinyUmbrella, SHSH blobs, why need them. Perhaps the only other interesting thing about TinyUmbrella is kicking a device out of a DFU loop state (or whatever it's called), but I don't even know how one would manage to get there.
Some prior Jailbreak tools like I said required some user intervention, at least this new one is simply, foolproof, so no DFU or anything here on the user side.

Asides form that enjoy your jailbreak, relax, install OpenSSH from Cydia, connect via SSH (e.g Transmit) to the iPhone, browse files (don't mess with them though unless you know what you're doing), or download iFile on Cydia and check file structures and find your way around.
There are little things you can do to screw your device by just downloading regular, popular, recommended apps from Cydia.

flameproof

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2011
I am also considering jailbreaking (JB) my i4 and hope I can add questions here:

After JB can I still use iTunes?

Can I still install/buy apps via iTunes (from my i4)?

Will all my apps stay on the phone after jailbreak?

Will all apps still update?

Can the phone be brought back to its original 'as new' state?

Can the phone be brought back to its 'before JB' state with all apps installed?

ECUpirate44

macrumors 603
Mar 22, 2010
NC
I am also considering jailbreaking (JB) my i4 and hope I can add questions here:

After JB can I still use iTunes?

Can I still install/buy apps via iTunes (from my i4)?

Will all my apps stay on the phone after jailbreak?

Will all apps still update?

Can the phone be brought back to its original 'as new' state?

Can the phone be brought back to its 'before JB' state with all apps installed?

1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Yes.
4. Yes.
5. Yes. You will just have to restore from backup.

Sounds Good

macrumors 68000
Jul 8, 2007
I've never done a jailbreak before, but I'm kinda curious...

Could someone please list the top few reasons why someone might wanna jailbreak their iPhone? What are some of the best jailbreak apps that are available?

Thanks!

Edit: oh, one more question please: how would we UN-jailbreak the iPhone if we wanted to? Is there a file we need to keep before jailbreaking? (or something like that??)

ECUpirate44

macrumors 603
Mar 22, 2010
NC
I've never done a jailbreak before, but I'm kinda curious...

Could someone please list the top few reasons why someone might wanna jailbreak their iPhone? What are some of the best jailbreak apps that are available?

Thanks!

Barrel
Springtomize
PDAnet
Winterboard
ncsettings
-the list goes on and on and there are TONS of threads answering this very question.

I use it for functional purposes as well as aesthetics. Here's what my SB looks like
N2wCw.jpg

chickenwingfly

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2012
Could someone please list the top few reasons why someone might wanna jailbreak their iPhone?
My top reason is messing with the underlying filesystem at will.

Edit: oh, one more question please: how would we UN-jailbreak the iPhone if we wanted to? Is there a file we need to keep before jailbreaking? (or something like that??)
At first instance, NO. You only wipe the iPhone/iPod/iPad and then restore using whatever is the latest firmware for your iDevice and voila, you're done. Then you can restore from a backup to get back your data.
I'm not 100% sure that all the " jailbreak " data is erased though, I've had files persisting through iTunes backups.

Now, if you wanted to un-jailbreak to a PREVIOUS firmware version, then I already explained TinyUmbrella.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.