Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BadboyHouse

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 1, 2011
For the last few days I've been getting intermittent wifi dropouts on my MBP.

It happens when I'm streaming music from iTunes on my MBP to be Airport Express.

When the wifi connection goes down I can't access the internet either. Nor can I ping my router. In most cases I have to take the MBP closer to my access point and the wireless comes back on.

Up until the last few days this has never happened before.

Some other points I've noticed:

1. When this problem occurs, the RSSI is approximately -55 and the Transmit Rate is 54. These are the numbers I normally get when it is working

2. When the problem occurs I can stream to the Airport Express from my iPhone fine. Plus I can access the internet from the iPhone. This never cuts out.

Like I say this only happens when I'm streaming to the airport express. But not every time.

It *seems* to be a signal issue as the streaming and internet comes back on if I take the mpb close to the router.

When the problem occurs I'm about 18ft from the router. The router is a net gear dg54.

any ideas?

BadboyHouse

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 1, 2011
Nothing really - just the tv (which is off when the prob occurs).

I don't understand why the wifi only drops on the MBP when it's streaming. The iPhone streams fine all the time.

I checked the airport utility on my iPhone when the MBP loses the signal and the airport is getting a full strength 54mbps signal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.