Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What's your opinion of Transformers (the movie)?

• Great!

Votes: 32 55.2%
  • Good

Votes: 13 22.4%
  • Mediocre

Votes: 4 6.9%
  • Disappointing

Votes: 4 6.9%
  • Have not seen it

Votes: 5 8.6%

• Total voters

Lacero

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jan 20, 2005
Well, it's official.

TRANSFORMERS the TV show I love growing up is getting an A-list (well almost A-List) Hollywood treatment. I am so looking forward to seeing this movie!

The official website for Transformers has been launched. It's coming out July 4th, 2007 so I expect this thread to have a nice long shelf life. :D

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
That's pretty cool. I like the picture on that site, especially of the PowerBook ;)

I wonder why that semi-truck is all covered up? Looks like a transformer or something :D

Bibulous

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2005
I hope they use vulgarities like the first movie. I remember seeing that movie with my mom, and cringing when prime said the word.

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
Bibulous said:
I hope they use vulgarities like the first movie. I remember seeing that movie with my mom, and cringing when prime said the word.

What word did he say? A bad word or something? I didn't see the movie so I'm not sure.

Bibulous

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2005
I think it was sh !t, but I was 10 at the time, when he was over the pot of acid or lava :rolleyes:

Lacero

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jan 20, 2005
Jaffa Cake said:
Just so long as the new version stars this guy, I'll be happy. :)
Yeah, when I saw that ad, I thought it was for Transformers. You definitely know the computer graphics technology is available to truly pull off photorealistic transforms. I hope John Williams does the scoring, and Gary Rydstrom for the sound effects editing to complete the effect.

Lacero

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jan 20, 2005
Bibulous said:
The movie is rated PG-13. So plenty of violence, drug use, and vulgarities. :D :D :D

Deefuzz

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Bibulous said:
I think it was sh !t, but I was 10 at the time, when he was over the pot of acid or lava :rolleyes:

It was the s-bomb...and it was when Bumblebee and Spike fired a warhead at Unicron and it didn't leave a scratch...and the Spike said: "Oh sh*t what are we gonna do?!?" and then their ship gets sucked in. :D

Bibulous

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2005
Deefuzz said:
It was the s-bomb...and it was when Bumblebee and Spike fired a warhead at Unicron and it didn't leave a scratch...and the Spike said: "Oh sh*t what are we gonna do?!?" and then their ship gets sucked in. :D

ah yes, great movie, but an uncomfortable childhood moment :D

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
I don't remember the first movie and is this one going to be live action/animation mix or is it all going to be CG?

D

atszyman

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2003
The Dallas 'burbs
Deefuzz said:

Darn it I missed that, the worst I can remember from that move was the "Open d*mn it, open!" line. Of course I was desensitized to most swearing at a young age.

Gonna have to find my old VHS copy of the movie and watch it now....

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Sweeeeeeeet! :)

A friend bought the original Transformers movie on DVD. I actually really liked it. I miss the Dynobots, especially... and their quirky grasp of spoken English, because, naturally, robotic dinosaurs would have a low intelligence quotient. :)

I know at least one person on here has/had a Decepticon avatar...come out, come out wherever you are!

millar876

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2004
Kilmarnock, Scotland UK
i gust hope its the origional transformers, not the ones in transformers energon ect. Or at least i fope they are similar, in that thier vehicle forms actualy look like real cars/trucks/planes ect, and NOT OVERSTYLED, OVERCOMPLICATED, American animation thats trying to look like japaneese trying to look like american trying to look like japaneese trying to look like american. if you understand that rant, (if you dont, its one style trying to copy another thats trying to copy the first style of animation, so it ends up looking a god awful mess)

is it to much to ask for a robot that turns into a car, that ACTUALLY looks like a real car. If i remember the origional correctly (and i should cos i just watched it on dvd) the autobots and decepticons, fighting on the autobot ship crash on pre historic earth, lie dormant for ages, then a volcanic eruption reactivates telitran-1 (autobot super computer thingey) who secds out a probe, that scans things (planes, cars a semi ect). teletran-1 then repairs the damaged transformers, and alters their transformations so that they BLEND IN. How the hec dose optimus prime in transformers energon and the one with the minicons blend in, its imposible, none of them look like real things, and you cant look at the robot and figure out how it becomes a car now either. sheesh

photoreal version of the 80's one please, not the gawdy newer ones, for the love of god and all things holy stick to the origional, just modernise it a bit if you have to.

sory about the rant but I Lived for TF in the 80's and none of the newer ones have compared.

however, this is my opinion, and tou are entitled to yours, But if you think the new ones are the mutts nuts, £ü<k you your wrong. only kidding, Yay free speach. :p

millar876

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2004
Kilmarnock, Scotland UK
on an 80's cartoon made into a live action movie, did any of you american posters see the thundercats movie that was apparently out in 2004, and had a few big-ish names in it. I think HHH from the WWE played growen up Lion-O?

Never apeared here in the uk, stumbled accross it on a web page and printed it out.

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
It will probably be a pale imitation of the original, like the new cartoon. That's not just nostalgia talking, the new version sucks. I'll probably still watch it though, if nothing else so I can sit around talking about how much it sucked with my other geeky friends.

Maybe it'll be so bad it's good... but I'm thinking just forgettable bad.

Zachariah

macrumors member
May 10, 2005
Earth
I'm just glad that there will still be Transformers toys around when I have kids ... I never really felt I was finished playing with them :D

ham_man

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2005
I love watching the old cartoon and am hoping that the producers pull off the movie. If they don't they will have hell to pay... :rolleyes:

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
I grew up watching the original cartoon and had a ton of the toys - still do in fact, I suppose they're worth a fair bit now... :cool: I loved the Movie (saw it in the theater, what a great experience!) and have to say I'm looking forward to how they pull this one off! Such a long ways off yet... :(

tangerineyum

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2005
Ontario, CA
my uncle was a big cartoon/anime fan, for x mas he gave me some old vhs tapes of transformers, robotech and vampire hunter D. Since then i've spent a good chunk of change finding these titles on dvd. They're classics, under appreciated by people my age. (21 and under)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.