Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

imDanielWood

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 2, 2012
I'm using an iPhone 4S on 5.1.1 jail broken with absinthe 2.0.2.

Is it nessessary/better to put my phone into DFU mode during a factory restore? Or can I just restore it the usual way?

I AM planning to rejailbreak after the restore...

Thanks.

isoft7

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2011
DFU is not required at all, just restore mode. Power off the iPhone, open itunes on your PC, hold down the home button on your iPhone, plug the phone into the computer while you continue to hold down the home button, it will display an itunes screen on the phone, then itunes will prompt for a restore, do this and everything, repeat, EVERYTHING will be deleted and a clean install of 5.1.1 will be installed.

Reboot and JB.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
Even though you don't have to; the proper way to upgrade a firmware is using the device firmware upgrader (DFU). This way you are 100% sure no error will happen in a fw upgrade and is as fresh an install as possible. DFU bypasses iBoot while Recovery Mode does not; this is imp only when downgrading or using custom fw since iBoot is what checks fws before accepting it on a phone.
I did my upgrade to 5.1.1 using DFU on my 4S. I have always used DFU w restore as NEW (no backups) in my iOS devices and never encounter any issues w battery or other problems. Is the best, but most tedious way to upgrade.

imDanielWood

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 2, 2012
Even though you don't have to; the proper way to upgrade a firmware is using the device firmware upgrader (DFU). This way you are 100% sure no error will happen in a fw upgrade and is as fresh an install as possible. DFU bypasses iBoot while Recovery Mode does not; this is imp only when downgrading or using custom fw since iBoot is what checks fws before accepting it on a phone.
I did my upgrade to 5.1.1 using DFU on my 4S. I have always used DFU w restore as NEW (no backups) in my iOS devices and never encounter any issues w battery or other problems. Is the best, but most tedious way to upgrade.

Since I'm already using 5.1.1 and I'll just be going to 5.1.1 again and won't be upgrading/downgrading I'm guessing DFU mode isn't nessessary? But if that's the proppa way to do a restore then I guess I could go the extra step to be safe. I have no need for custom firmware either, so it's literally just a clean install of the same vanilla 5.1.1. Would you still restore using DFU? Thanks. :)

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
Since I'm already using 5.1.1 and I'll just be going to 5.1.1 again and won't be upgrading/downgrading I'm guessing DFU mode isn't nessessary? But if that's the proppa way to do a restore then I guess I could go the extra step to be safe. I have no need for custom firmware either, so it's literally just a clean install of the same vanilla 5.1.1. Would you still restore using DFU? Thanks. :)

yeap, I always use DFU. I'm OCPD over tech that I own... :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.