Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FatGuy007

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 8, 2012
New York
Ok so I just made up this idea in the shower, so it's barley edited.

I was thinking of 2 sides of the mouse, a regular average mouse, which would be in the middle as usual, and the hand-sensor mouse, and this is the part where it comes to a whole new paragraph.

My idea of hand-sensor mouse, is to track all your finger movements and hand. This is kind of like Kinect, but more accurate, and it would work like a regular mouse but your hand is in the air. left-click would be your index finger pointing down, and right-click... etc. and the best part it has no movements to do with the middle finger :D. Launchpad, Mission Control, App expose would all work the same as air, but even cooler. My only concern is your hand in the air getting all tired, but the location where the sensor reaches should be all over the mac, and can reach up to 2 feet if it reconigzes its default hand (<that sounded funny :p)

I am sincerley sorry if this feature was made up before me, there for you can tell me below. This will make the mouse generation evolve like nothing else (10000000x better than the trackpad).

Please share your Feedback, Opinion, and Concerns.

mikeo007

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2010
OSX 11.. OS 10 11...?

lol

Also, holding your hand in the air to make mouse motions would get very tiresome.

Also, there's a similar feature that's been announced for windows 8

pacman7331

macrumors regular
Apr 5, 2006
Yes this idea is long been at work in the comp industry. Microsoft has been researching all kinds of new technologies which are like this.

Frankly to me it sounds a bit annoying.
I dont see the point of it. Sounds impractical.
I dont want to become apart of my computer like transhumanists do.

FatGuy007

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 8, 2012
New York
The leapmotion is really cool, i might think of buying one.

If your wrist was sitting at a table, then your hand is able to move without out any discomfort,

Prodo123

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2010
I think that would just be absolutely fatiguing after 1 hour of usage.
And I use my computer upwards to 8 hours a day.
It would be cool for Mac Minis if Apple would reintroduce ODDs in them and use Blu-Rays for HTPCs.

jburns

macrumors regular
May 1, 2007
NC-USA
I nice feature would be, if you hold your middle finger up over the mouse your browser would immediately go to Apple support. :D

sweetbrat

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2009
Redford, MI
I can see how something like Leapmotion might be useful for some things...writing, certain games like Fruit Ninja, stuff like that. But for normal controls, no way. It would be too fatiguing. People use their computers for hours at a time. Having to hold your arm/arms up like that would get so uncomfortable. It's the same problem that they've talked about with touchscreen computers. If the computer is on the desk and you need to reach out to use it, it just gets too uncomfortable.

If it works with your wrist resting on the table like you say, how does it know when you're doing something intentional, or when you're reaching up to scratch your nose? It doesn't have a way to differentiate between movements that should be input and those that shouldn't. I know these types of systems are being worked on, but I think it's going to be a long time before they're useful and functional.

Themegamacman

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2012
The thing is, with the Leap, mouses will still be around. WE'll still have mouses and trackpads and graphics tablets, but lets say you're 3D modeling and you need to rotate your creation, dive deeper into it, etc, then it will be very useful as an additional control element. Also, for games, you can still use the keyboard or a controller, but let's say you map certain controls to the Leap, for example you're playing a driving game and you want to look around, you move your head a slight bit and the screen images move.

Astroboy907

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2012
Spaceball One
Not gonna happen. If anything, id say 4 years, if at all. The whole motion-trigger thing is old but still hanging around, and getting more attention. Until it becomes much more stable and accurate, no way.

And then there is the whole fatigue thing..

iThinkergoiMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2010
Terra
Until it becomes much more stable and accurate, no way.

Leapmotion is supposed to be exceptionally accurate. Watch the video, accuracy doesn't seem to be an issue. I can see it being quite handy for some things. It may not replace the mouse any time soon, but if you do 3D graphics, for example, it may give you a more natural way to do some interaction with your models.

For my situation at work (brief interactions with standing computers) it would actually be a time-saver and pretty awesome. Regardless of what you think, very interesting tech to follow.

trikky

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2011
Ok so I just made up this idea in the shower, so it's barley edited.

My idea of hand-sensor mouse, is to track all your finger movements and hand.

Personally, I'm afraid to ask exactly what you were doing that caused this shower epiphany...

barredfreak

macrumors 6502
Jan 9, 2012
I am not a fan of this idea.

People should be focusing on how to make the current computing experience more comfortable, rather than more tiresome.

FatGuy007

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 8, 2012
New York
Personally, I'm afraid to ask exactly what you were doing that caused this shower epiphany...

I am sorry that I revived this post for no support reason. but this sentence just sent me bursting out laughing.
I felt like a faith in humanity is restored after this quote.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.