Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Jun 2, 2012, 04:54 PM   #1
Rodster
macrumors 68020

How Long Do The Flash Drives Last In The iPad's?

I'm pretty new to SSD technology. I was wondering how long do SSD's in Tablets usually last? I saw a picture where the iPad NAND Flash is soldered on the motherboard.
Rodster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2012, 05:08 PM   #2
fabian9
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodster View Post
I'm pretty new to SSD technology. I was wondering how long do SSD's in Tablets usually last? I saw a picture where the iPad NAND Flash is soldered on the motherboard.
Interesting question, I'm pretty sure they'll last longer than the useful life of the product itself, and longer than a SSD in a normal computer as the iPads memory is likely to see fewer Read/Write cycles than a normal computer.
Old Jun 2, 2012, 05:55 PM   #3
Rodster
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabian9 View Post
Interesting question, I'm pretty sure they'll last longer than the useful life of the product itself, and longer than a SSD in a normal computer as the iPads memory is likely to see fewer Read/Write cycles than a normal computer.
Yeah I've been told they should last. I also read that writes and erasure is what wears them out, not reads to the drive.
Old Jun 2, 2012, 09:27 PM   #4
baypharm
macrumors 6502a

No one knows, iPads have not been out long. Check back in 10 years and we'll let you know!!
baypharm is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2012, 09:39 PM   #5
Carlanga
macrumors 601

at the very least 8-10 years if you are using intensive apps.
Old Jun 2, 2012, 09:47 PM   #6
Michael CM1
macrumors 601

My dad got a first-gen iPad about halfway through its life cycle. It's still working fine. They probably have at least the same life span as hard disks, if not longer because of the lack of moving parts.

You might want to ask around with people who own an original iPhone. I haven't heard of any widespread dying of the storage.
Old Jun 2, 2012, 09:58 PM   #7
wordoflife
macrumors 604

Trust me, it's nothing to worry about.

I'd say 10 years. I have flash based device that are over 7 years old that are still running fine.
Old Jun 2, 2012, 11:15 PM   #8
iEvolution
macrumors 65816

Your battery is going to fail (probably 5 times over)before the memory will.

I'd honestly worry about every other component before I'd worry about memory failure. Flash reliability is variable but at the minimum should be good for 100,000 program/erase cycles up to 1,000,000 program/erase cycles. Keep in mind this is on a per block basis so just because you've reached the limit in one block doesn't mean the entire memory is shot.

The flash memory in the iPad likely has wear leveling as well, which is a feature in which writing/erasing are spread across the entire memory rather than just rewriting the same section over and over again leading to premature failure in that section.
iEvolution is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2012, 07:22 AM   #9
Rodster
macrumors 68020

Thanks for all the responses and for clearing things up. It also made me think that if NAND Flash was not reliable Apple wouldn't be using it let alone replacing new units with refurbs.
Old Jun 3, 2012, 08:02 AM   #10
r-sparks
Banned

Quote:
Generally speaking, isn't there two types of flash memory, and only the high-grade is used within computing devices for storage? And the low-grade stuff ends-up in things like USB sticks? This is one reason why tablets are so expensive these storage chips cost much more than the equivalent USB sticks, albeit they seem the same.

So while USB memory sticks and memory cards will fail within a few years (or even less if used daily), this probably won't happen with storage used as primary storage within computing devices.

This PDF seems to explain:

http://www.supertalent.com/datasheet...whitepaper.pdf
r-sparks is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2012, 01:07 PM   #11
ZipZap
macrumors 68040

The only guaranteed minimum time is the length of the warranty.
ZipZap is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2012, 03:27 PM   #12
unibility
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by r-sparks View Post
Generally speaking, isn't there two types of flash memory, and only the high-grade is used within computing devices for storage? And the low-grade stuff ends-up in things like USB sticks? This is one reason why tablets are so expensive these storage chips cost much more than the equivalent USB sticks, albeit they seem the same.

So while USB memory sticks and memory cards will fail within a few years (or even less if used daily), this probably won't happen with storage used as primary storage within computing devices.

This PDF seems to explain:

http://www.supertalent.com/datasheet...whitepaper.pdf

Your theory that inexpensive low-grade stuff ends-up in USB sticks is partially incorrect. My 16GB USB government secure stick cost $299. It can be read/written 100,000 times per sector before it starts to fail. So please check your fact prior to posting such comments.
unibility is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2012, 03:56 PM   #13
kdarling
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by iEvolution View Post
I'd honestly worry about every other component before I'd worry about memory failure. Flash reliability is variable but at the minimum should be good for 100,000 program/erase cycles up to 1,000,000 program/erase cycles. Keep in mind this is on a per block basis so just because you've reached the limit in one block doesn't mean the entire memory is shot.
The type of MLC Flash that Apple uses in iOS devices is usually good for only about 5,000 - 10,000 erase cycles per block. That's why it's affordable.

It's also why Safari doesn't cache pages to Flash, but instead will only remember what will fit in RAM.

However, it's plenty for its main use in the iPad/iPhone, as media files do not change very often, and apps only save when necessary.

Last edited by kdarling; Jun 3, 2012 at 04:02 PM.
kdarling is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2012, 04:37 PM   #14
mrsir2009
macrumors 604

Quote:
For longer than you'll be using it
mrsir2009 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2012, 04:48 PM   #15
mcdj
macrumors 603

In the iPad's what?
mcdj is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2012, 05:04 PM   #16
techkidd4400
macrumors regular

No one knows the answer to the OP's question and it is Ok to say so rather than make up an answer based on speculation and rumor.
techkidd4400 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2012, 07:31 PM   #17
SHirsch999
macrumors 6502

I've wondered about this as well. Seems that the software on the iPad will be outdated long before the hardware becomes unusable. Would not updating the software (ie no new apps, not updating current apps, not updating iOS) alleviate this and make the hardware usable for a longer time period?
SHirsch999 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2012, 07:41 PM   #18
Rodster
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHirsch999 View Post
I've wondered about this as well. Seems that the software on the iPad will be outdated long before the hardware becomes unusable. Would not updating the software (ie no new apps, not updating current apps, not updating iOS) alleviate this and make the hardware usable for a longer time period?
I have a customer who still happily uses his original iPad and has tons of photos and no problems. As kdarling mentioned it's all about writes and erases. I believe the iPad uses mostly the Toshiba MLC NAND whereas Samsung prefers SLC OneNAND which has 10x the durability but it has a higher cost.

If you use kdarling's numbers that's still a lot 5-10K writes into just one cell. Samsung SLC is rated at over 100K. The advantage MLC has over SLC is 1) lower cost b) it's denser than SLC.

But yeah if you didn't update apps and such there are less writes to NAND. OTOH as others have mentioned by the time the NAND fails you're possibly looking at 4-5 generations of newer iPads.

I wasn't aware of until kdarling mentioned that Safari doesn't page to Flash but instead it uses Ram. I wonder how many other stock Apple apps do the same?
Old Jun 5, 2012, 03:22 PM   #19
SL4VE
macrumors 6502

Your iPads lifespan is 5 years at a maximum period. By than you would have upgraded or something would have broken and product will have been replaced. Likely hood a upgrade. Or even if you got another product. The usage will decline on the iPad.
SL4VE is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad