Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

silentownage001

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 1, 2011
NJ
Hey guys, having trouble with my science homework and can't find the answers.

First question
When a human body is exposed to external nuclear radiation, the amount of tissue damage depends on the _________ power of the radiation.
I have no idea

Next question
Although the fusion of hydrogen to produce helium is the most common fusion reaction occurring in the sun, several other fusion reactions occur. In one of these, two helium-4 nuclei fuse to form one unstable _____ nucleus.
Is it beryllium-8?

Last
Why is the prefix halo used in halocarbon?
Can't find the answer.

I might have some more tomorrow.

Thanks for any help.

Last edited:

BreakGuy

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2009
NZ, South Pacific
Is Wikipedia down or something? :confused:

Q2) The fusion of two helium-4 nuclei can only result in beryllium-8, but due to it being unstable, it doesn't last very long as beryllium-8.

Study13

macrumors newbie
May 28, 2012
1. I think it's 'rem' or "roentgen equivalent in man".

2. It is Beryllium-8.

silentownage001

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 1, 2011
NJ
All I know for the first one is: amount, time absorbed, and tissue susceptibility

Hmm those don't really sound right with power in there.

Nope wikipedia is up and I found beryllium-8 there I wanted to make sure since people change things. I know a few people who have.

lls4f

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2012
United States
A halocarbon is a halogen atom (F, Br, I, Cl) added to a carbon atom. So a halocarbon = halogen + carbon.

Not sure exactly what answer is needed for the first question, but I would guess "ionizing".

And yes, it's beryllium-8

silentownage001

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 1, 2011
NJ
A halocarbon is a halogen atom (F, Br, I, Cl) added to a carbon atom. So a halocarbon = halogen + carbon.

Not sure exactly what answer is needed for the first question, but I would guess "ionizing".

And yes, it's beryllium-8

Thanks. Ionizing makes sense. I remember in my book it talked about Geiger-counters and the radiation ionizing the gas but it didn't hit me.

I might have more tomorrow when I check my work. It is a long packet.

MasterHowl

macrumors 65816
Oct 3, 2010
North of England
First question: ionising

Next question: two helium-4 nuclei... that's two protons + two neutrons, times two... which gives four protons and four neutrons. Beryllium is element number four, and this particular isotope has eight nuclei, so yeah, it's Beryllium-8 (well done!)

Last: chemistry isn't my strong spot (only did it up to AS level), but i suspect it's so we know which halogen is in the compound.

Hope this helps!

If you want a more in depth explanation of the first two, let me know.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.