Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > iPad Apps

Old Jun 3, 2012, 04:28 AM   #1
LadyX
macrumors Demi-Goddess

Question Is Virtua Tennis Challenge any good?

I've been wanting to purchase this game for my iPad since it came out. I keep saying to myself that okay this time I'm going to download it, I click on the game and then I start reading the reviews and I end up not downloading it. There are some positive reviews but others say that it's slow and choppy. For those who have it, what do you think.
LadyX is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2012, 06:10 PM   #2
JMG
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyX View Post
I've been wanting to purchase this game for my iPad since it came out. I keep saying to myself that okay this time I'm going to download it, I click on the game and then I start reading the reviews and I end up not downloading it. There are some positive reviews but others say that it's slow and choppy. For those who have it, what do you think.
I don't think it's slow and choppy at all. (I'm on a 4S). Pretty good game, I was a fan of VT2 on console, and this is a pretty good interpretation. The one complaint I have, which is the same for even the console Virtua Tennis, is that I get too anxious and set up my shot even before the opponent has hit the ball back, so my player just sits there like an idiot when the ball finally does come towards him because I input the move too soon and it doesn't register.

Mac Pro Mac Mini
Macbook Pro Ipad 3 64gb iPhone 4S 64gb
iTouch 8gb iPod Classic 160gb Nano 8gb Shuffle 4gb Shuffle 2gb Apple TV
JMG is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2012, 09:25 AM   #3
Luigicamp
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyX View Post
It's not slow or choppy at all; it actually works very well on my iPad 2.

A few cons:
- No female characters, you can play only male.
- All the players names and the tournaments names have been changed. Like Roger Federer becomes Marco Stocker. Nadal is Fernando Sanchez. The US Open is called US Super Tennis, and so on. I guess they were too cheap to pay a few bucks in copyrights.
- Your opponents never double faults, and never hit the ball outside the lines (no outs) while you will occasionally, if you aren't careful. All this takes away that feeling of playing a real game.
- This one is a cons but to some it can be a pros. You can get the achievements easily by changing the length of a game. For instance, you can select a match to be 1 set long with only 3 games (if you win all 3 of them). This helps getting your achievements way faster; kind of a cheat.
- You can't save a game in progress. Thus, if you set up a match to last up to 5 sets (including 6 games to win a set, or tie breaks) be ready to commit to the entire match.

Other than that, the game is very fluent; once you understand the mechanics is pretty fun to play. An entire season last 18 days (it has a calendar with the upcoming events). You cannot play the Masters or Grand Slams as you wish, you have to follow the calendar; to some people this could be another cons, I don't mind it though.

I hope all this helped.

Cheers!
Luigicamp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2013, 04:09 AM   #4
crazyzoarhaina
macrumors newbie

Who's the greatest i Tennis?

The launch issue of Speak Global Sports examines the great carrers of Djokovic, Federer & Nadal (http://speakmagazines.com/the-golden-age/)
In my oppionion it has to be the impressive work of Feferer.... any other views?
crazyzoarhaina is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > iPad Apps