Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shadowguy

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
I am somewhat new to this scene. I use both my mac and PC for music storage and organization. Now, on my PC, to change the MP3 info you just get into the properties of the file. However, on the Mac it seems that the only way to do this is through iTunes. Now this wouldn't be a problem. The problem arises when I attenpt to change the name of the song. If I change the title of the song it changes the filename too.

Now I like my filenames to use the [artist] - [title].mp3 format, however changing the title in iTunes changes the filename to just the title. Now the weird thing is that the files that were correct from the PC does not have this problem. Only files that were edited on the Mac.

Please, any assistance would be appreciated.

pulsewidth947

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2005
For this you need to tell iTunes to not organise your music folder.

load up iTunes > Preferences > Advanced > Untick "Keep iTunes music folder organized". Now you can rename it what ever, but next time you load up iTunes it may tell you that it cant find your music so you'll have to point it to the right files.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.