Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

skaertus

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil
I remember when Apple announced Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard. One of its main features was OpenCL, which, according to Apple, "allows developers to tap the incredible power of the graphics processing unit for tasks that go beyond graphics". Wow, amazing! OpenCL seemed to unleash the power of GPUs and take GPGPU to the masses.

However, Snow Leopard was released in August 2009, almost three years ago, and I've heard little about OpenCL since then. I've heard that it is hard to develop GPGPU applications, and developers are not willing to take this step. I've also read somewhere that Adobe applications (such as Photoshop), as of version CS6, are finally using OpenCL to some extent. However, I've not seen anywhere a list of applications supporting OpenCL and how it affects the speed.

There's a list of applications supporting CUDA at the NVIDIA website (http://www.nvidia.com/docs/IO/64497/NV_GPU_Accelerated_Applications.pdf). Not applications towards consumers, though. But I've not seen a list of applications supporting OpenCL. Is there any?

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
I know that Aperture 3 and Final Cut Pro X do. It's been announced that Handbrake will in the near future.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.