Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod

Old Jul 15, 2005, 05:02 AM   #1
Cloudgazer
macrumors 6502

Best iPod design?

I think the best looking iPods are the first generation ones.
The wheel and buttons looked like a white speaker.
I didn't like it at all when they moved the buttons to the row (2G)

Ans while the new click wheel works like a dream, it just doens't look as good.

Is it just me that feels this way?
Old Jul 15, 2005, 05:53 AM   #2
Chundles
macrumors G4

The 3G had the buttons in a row, the 2G was the same design as the first iPod but it had a touch wheel instead of a scroll wheel.

I like the simplicity of the 4G design but I really don't like the gray click wheel. The all-white design of the 3G looks great as does the red light up buttons, if the click wheel was either a much lighter grey or even just a matte finish white with light up buttons it'd be awesome.

Hey, can anyone make a quick mock-up of something like this? I wanna see if it does actually look good.
Old Jul 15, 2005, 06:34 AM   #3
Sharewaredemon
macrumors 68000

Send a message via MSN to Sharewaredemon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chundles
The 3G had the buttons in a row, the 2G was the same design as the first iPod but it had a touch wheel instead of a scroll wheel.

I like the simplicity of the 4G design but I really don't like the gray click wheel. The all-white design of the 3G looks great as does the red light up buttons, if the click wheel was either a much lighter grey or even just a matte finish white with light up buttons it'd be awesome.

Hey, can anyone make a quick mock-up of something like this? I wanna see if it does actually look good.
I agree, I like the all white of the 3G design.

I doubt you could make the buttons light up on the click wheel though.
Old Jul 15, 2005, 08:48 AM   #4
wwooden
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to wwooden Send a message via Skype™ to wwooden
So many people are confused about the iPod generation thing and which is which. I had a friend who thought the 3rd gen (lighted buttons) was the first type of iPod. He was shocked when I pulled out my 2nd gen. When I got the original back in December of (2001?), I loved the moveable wheel. But it was horrible for running unless the hold button was on. One thing I do love about the first two gens was that I could really use them through shirts and paints. Even the latest aren't as good at doing this as the originals.
Old Jul 15, 2005, 09:40 AM   #5
Chundles
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharewaredemon
I agree, I like the all white of the 3G design.

I doubt you could make the buttons light up on the click wheel though.
I know.....still be pretty cool though, ooh! have the buttons on the click wheel of the iPod mini light up the same colour as the case! That'd be sweet.
Old Jul 15, 2005, 09:51 AM   #6
wide
macrumors 6502a

I used to like the boxy design of the first ipods, and I didn't like the clickwheel on my mini 1g that much, but i think apple did much better witht he iPod 4G. my personal favorite.
a dell laptop and a few ipods
wide is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2005, 10:26 AM   #7
iDM
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to iDM
I loved the design and looks of my 3rd Gen 20gig, till it got stolen last weekend, now i wish it had the exploding ink cartridges, spikes, flamethrowers and LoJack on it. I'm proudly just being bitter though.
Old Jul 15, 2005, 10:57 AM   #8
aricher
macrumors 68020

Loved the movable wheel of my 1st Gen and have always wished that Apple would create a DJ ready iPod for virtual scratching - never happen though. Other than that I love the 3G iPod over the click wheel.
aricher is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2005, 11:13 AM   #9
Ashapalan
macrumors 6502a

3G.
It was the lights on the buttons... and the 'all touch' operation, dam i miss mine.
Old Jul 15, 2005, 11:17 AM   #10
mwpeters8182
macrumors 6502

I actually like the 1G setup the best, as I dont' really like the touch wheel, as you can't operate it with gloves on. But, of all the current iPods, I enjoy the mini the best, from a design standpoint. Small and sleek, though it's less rugged than the big guys.

MP
Old Jul 15, 2005, 07:08 PM   #11
Phat_Pat
macrumors 68000

The shuffle is amazing.

Although i really like th look of the 3rd gen.
Old Jul 15, 2005, 07:15 PM   #12
dotdotdot
macrumors 68020

First of all, I think the best design is not only by looks but by convienence. And the first generation was the worst due to the actual wheel physically moving. The second generation and fourth generation are almost the same. However, the integrated buttons of the fourth generation are clearly easier than the second gen's buttons being on the OUTSIDE of the wheel, whereas the fourth gen is IN the wheel. So, the 1st and 2nd gen are out.

The fourth generation is more compact, which is pretty cool, but I personally like the third generation the best. The fourth is better for like cases, etc. but its annoying to have to hold down the wheel to click a button. The third generation iPod is touch sensitive so you don't have to press anything. Plus, it has the best layout design of all iPods. Obviously, left is BACK and right is FORWARD, but the way menu and play are placed make it really easy to navigate. Plus, having the wheel all by itself is amazing. And it brought the dock/connector. But the best part is the red backlight of the buttons.

By looks, however, the fourth gen looses because its pretty ugly. And the 1st and 2nd gen loose because the buttons stick out. The third gen is hot and the best iPod ever. Plus, the buttons turn RED. Thats sick, dude.
dotdotdot is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2005, 07:20 PM   #13
ham_man
macrumors 68020

In terms of looks, the 3rd gen hands down. That thing looks damn sexy in a dock.

In terms of functionality, the 4th gen. All of the buttons right there is really convinient for the user...
ham_man is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2005, 07:22 PM   #14
mkrishnan
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwooden
So many people are confused about the iPod generation thing and which is which. I had a friend who thought the 3rd gen (lighted buttons) was the first type of iPod.
Haha, the best to me is... I told a friend he needed to get a certain version of an accessory, because he had a 4G iPod, and he e-mailed me back to tell me, no, his was actually a 20G iPod! Ahhh, I should've seen that one coming. But he should know me well enough to ask what I meant, and know that I know his iPod held more than 4GB.....

I'm excited to see so many votes for the 3rd gen. I feel the same way. I really love mine. I would like a larger drive and a color screen, but I really love the touch sensitive keys on mine... I like that the front surface is essentially sealed. And I think it looks good.
Old Jul 15, 2005, 08:16 PM   #15
Sharewaredemon
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotdotdot
First of all, I think the best design is not only by looks but by convienence. And the first generation was the worst due to the actual wheel physically moving. The second generation and fourth generation are almost the same. However, the integrated buttons of the fourth generation are clearly easier than the second gen's buttons being on the OUTSIDE of the wheel, whereas the fourth gen is IN the wheel. So, the 1st and 2nd gen are out.

The fourth generation is more compact, which is pretty cool, but I personally like the third generation the best. The fourth is better for like cases, etc. but its annoying to have to hold down the wheel to click a button. The third generation iPod is touch sensitive so you don't have to press anything. Plus, it has the best layout design of all iPods. Obviously, left is BACK and right is FORWARD, but the way menu and play are placed make it really easy to navigate. Plus, having the wheel all by itself is amazing. And it brought the dock/connector. But the best part is the red backlight of the buttons.

By looks, however, the fourth gen looses because its pretty ugly. And the 1st and 2nd gen loose because the buttons stick out. The third gen is hot and the best iPod ever. Plus, the buttons turn RED. Thats sick, dude.

Amen.

I really wish I had a 30 GB 3G iPod, cause right now it would fit all my music with a bit of room to spare.

Oh well.

Here's to hoping the 5G is the nicest yet!
Old Jul 15, 2005, 08:21 PM   #16
dotdotdot
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharewaredemon
Amen.

I really wish I had a 30 GB 3G iPod, cause right now it would fit all my music with a bit of room to spare.

Oh well.

Here's to hoping the 5G is the nicest yet!

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL....2.1.5.1.4.5.0
dotdotdot is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2005, 08:23 PM   #17
Sharewaredemon
macrumors 68000

Quote:
I few questions.

the 30GB 3G iPod wasn't any thicker than the 15GB or the 20GB was it?

How much is the drive formatted?

I have 20 GB of music now so I'd be close to full with this one.

I live in Canada. Can I order it?
Any idea if there will be duty?

Oh yeah and thanks!
I'm bookmarking that site.
Old Jul 15, 2005, 08:25 PM   #18
zap2
macrumors 604

i did like the 3g design untill i uesd it, it was to slow to work, 4.5g color screen and you get ur stuff doen quicker
Old Jul 15, 2005, 08:50 PM   #19
mkrishnan
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Not bad...and you get a firewire adaptor instead of a USB one!

EDIT: Noticed they have good deals on the 40GB 3G iPod as well....
Old Jul 15, 2005, 09:30 PM   #20
TEG
macrumors 604

Send a message via ICQ to TEG Send a message via AIM to TEG Send a message via MSN to TEG Send a message via Yahoo to TEG Send a message via Skype™ to TEG
You mean the 6G. We already have a 5G, it is called the iPod with Color Screen.

I love the 3G, the 4G is just different, and a bit ugly.

TEG
Old Jul 15, 2005, 09:33 PM   #21
puckhead193
macrumors G3

I like the 3rd generation. When in the dark having the buttons and screen light up, it looks awsome. The 4th generation is very useable but the gray click wheel just throws off the design IMO.
128GB iPhone 6+, 64 GB iPad 3
puckhead193 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2005, 09:35 PM   #22
mkrishnan
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEG
You mean the 6G. We already have a 5G, it is called the iPod with Color Screen.
At some point, an Apple exec stated that they consider all the color screen iPods to be part of the fourth generation....this is from iPodlounge:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPodlounge.com
Clarifying ambiguities over the actual “generation” or version number of the updated iPods released this Tuesday, a senior executive with Apple Computer confirmed to iLounge this evening that the new color-screened devices are still considered by the company to be “4th generation” (4G) iPods.

While the executive did not provide further naming details, Apple has been calling the new models “iPod with color display” in various support documents and software release notes. The company has publicly referred to the last two major iPod revisions, the iPod With Dock Connector (with a touch wheel and four touch-sensitive buttons) and the Click Wheel iPod, as “third-generation” and “fourth-generation” models, respectively. With Tuesday’s iPods still considered part of the fourth-generation family, one can now safely assume that Apple is saving the “fifth-generation” moniker for an all-new iPod yet to be revealed, perhaps conveniently at the same time as version 5.0 of iTunes.
Old Jul 15, 2005, 11:36 PM   #23
Xeem
macrumors 6502a

I have to vote Mini; I love the contrast of the white click wheel with the aluminum. One negative aspect of the mini: the sharp aluminum bottom on my mini cut through my headphone wire while it was in my pocket!
Old Jul 15, 2005, 11:55 PM   #24
Phat_Pat
macrumors 68000

The original Hpod!

So Beautiful!

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod