Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

prvt.donut

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 1, 2008
I am assuming it is the cable anyway, I have 2 Macbook Airs and last night connected the TV to one of them but the screen did not display on the TV,

The Mac screen flickered, but the TV screen stayed blank and no external display was found on the Sys Pref. It was the same result with the other Macbook too!

The cable did feel hot so I am pretty sure it crapped out. I saw a few Amazon reviews for some of these cables and other people were complaining about the cables dying after a few months.

Does anyone know if the official Apple cable is more reliable? I prefer the single cable, and not using an adaptor but HDMI licensing means that Apple can't and never will make a direct cable! shame!

I ordered a new cable, so will see how it goes.

prvt.donut

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 1, 2008
http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10428&cs_id=1042802&p_id=5311&seq=1&format=2

Ive had this since March with no problems, i buy a lot of stuff from here and their customer service is one of the best. Plus this is way cheaper.

That is an adapter, not a cable.
This is what I just ordered.

My last one lasted about 8 months.

319KfWrLnyL.jpg

Bob Coxner

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2011
Do these carry audio? My adapter doesnt unfortunately.

Most cables do but check the descriptions. I think people have a problem when they don't change their settings.

From another discussion:

From what I read here prompted me to attach all components - go to System Preferences > Sound > Output. There I had an option Name: Panasonic TV Type: HDMI. Clicked this option Hey Presto I had sound through TV. Note this option only appears when you are connected to the TV.

prvt.donut

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 1, 2008
What is it about these cables that can cause a failure?

I don't know, maybe cheap quality chips in them, I did buy a cheap one from Amazon.

As there is no official offering, it seems hard to know if we are buying something that will break quickly.

I am buying another one and hoping it'll last a bit longer:eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.