Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

9to5Mac reports that one of the major new features coming in iOS 6 is the addition of Siri to the iPad. Siri is currently supported only on the iPhone 4S, with the new iPad having gained the dictation aspect of Apple and Nuance's voice recognition partnership but not seeing the inclusion of full Siri support at its launch earlier this year.

siri_ipad_mockup.jpg

Mockup of Siri for iPad
Siri on the iPad is activated by a quick hold of the home button, just like on the iPhone 4S. The interface slides up from below the display with a clever animation. Siri is built into the iPad as a small window on top of whatever interface the user is currently interacting with. This Siri window with rounded corners sits at the bottom center of the display, as you can see in our mockup above. The Siri iPad interface takes very little space over the iPad interface currently in use, and is designed with the same linen texture as on the iPhone 4S. Siri for iPad also works from the lock screen.
The report speculates that Siri for iPad may be exclusive to the new third-generation models, and it is unclear whether Apple will tout the feature at next week's Worldwide Developers Conference or if it will elect to keep it under wraps until closer to the public launch of the software later this year.

Article Link: Siri Reportedly Coming to iPad with iOS 6

Unggoy Murderer

macrumors 65816
Jan 28, 2011
Edinburgh, UK
I would like to think Apple would announce it at WWDC. It would make sense; generate a huge amount of hype well before launch. In a similar way, Multitasking for the iPad with iOS 4 was a massive thing for me to look forward to =]

needfx

Suspended
Aug 10, 2010
macrumors apparently
I would like to think Apple would announce it at WWDC. It would make sense; generate a huge amount of hype well before launch. In a similar way, Multitasking for the iPad with iOS 4 was a massive thing for me to look forward to =]

spot on

they do have to announce something big, now that google & asus are trying to steal some thunder. I repeat, trying

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
"Siri, how good is the microphone on the iPad?"

"I found these music stores near you whose reviews mention microphones."

"Oh, guess that still answers my question."

Last edited:

kayloh20

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2010
Chicago, IL
I like this mockup. Even though Siri could probably be done to take up the entire screen with large text or rearrangement, the small style is nice and not as big of a break from whatever you're currently doing.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Yay! That will be a welcomed feature for my iPad.

But it sill begs the question, why didn't they include it with the iPad at it's launch and only had dictation?

gforce216

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2009
Feels like its just slotted in there like the notification center. I want to see a better looking implementation. Not just an iPhone sized version on top of the iPad. Also I hope they fix notification center so the UI effect doesn't go over the screen. The linen design is meant to go under like we first saw with multitasking and now see with notification center in Mountain Lion.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
"Siri, how good is the microphone on the iPad?"

"I found these music stores near you who's reviews mention microphones."

"Oh, guess that still answers my question."

IF the accuracy isn't improved it will become an unused feature just like it is on the iPhone. Not much more than a novelty.

But it sill begs the question, why didn't they include it with the iPad at it's launch and only had dictation?

No reason it shouldn't have been included when the iPad 3 launched.

It hasn't even been announced yet and you are wondering why it wasn't announced earlier? Just wait and see, maybe it'll become more apparent. Plus Siri is still a beta, they are working on it in a lot of ways.

verniesgarden

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2007
Saint Louis, Mo
I really like the idea of Siri, but it all reality, voice activation isn't really that intuitive. I tend be able to do things faster just by going to an app and using it that asking the device. and thats be fore the "wait for your message to go to the server, process at the server, return the answer"

now if the open up the cammand system to third party apps i can see it being interesting, i would love to be able to talk back to my tom-tom app like "I can't turn here, reroute"

mikeo007

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2010
This is neat, and i'll be happy to have it, but I feel it will be a novelty at best on the iPad.

It works on the iPhone because you can ask for directions and such while you're out. But a lot less people walk around town with their iPad in their hands, so I feel it will mostly be used for playing around and asking Siri stupid questions.

iDuel

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2011
Greece/USA
Let's hope that Apple also allows ipad2 users to enjoy Siri as well.

It's not like the iPad 3 has a better microphone or processor anyway.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.