Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Apple, Industry and Internet Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 8, 2012, 07:00 AM   #76
SactoGuy18
macrumors 68010
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Sacramento, CA USA
Send a message via Yahoo to SactoGuy18
I think Apple's next 'big thing' will have something to do with television viewing.

I think it's very likely that Apple will buy a large fraction of Sharp so it could secure a supply of 55" to 65" AMOLED display panels for an Apple television set, one that integrates control of a DVR, Blu-ray player and online video in a singular interface based on iOS. Apple could also easily snap up TiVo for a song, and turn that into a DVR/set top box for cable TV and eventually satellite TV running off that new iOS-based interface I mentioned earlier.
__________________
3G iPod nano (8 GB teal blue case), 7G iPod nano (16 GB blue case), 4G iPod touch (32 GB), iPad Air "Silver" (32 GB)
SactoGuy18 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 08:42 AM   #77
kdarling
macrumors Demi-God
 
kdarling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Device engineer 30+ yrs, touchscreens 23+.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hafr View Post
Those are the same numbers I looked at for the 2007 sales, but without the months being marked. I've never seen or heard anyone talk about oct-dec of year X as being Q1 of year X+1. Odd.
Apple's fiscal year runs basically from the end of each September to the end of the next September. That's why it can be confusing looking up info... some places sort it by Apple's way, some by calendar year.

Quote:
I'm not saying the iPhone was a revolutionary phone, on the contrary I've repeated that on paper it was an inferior phone to many of the options in its price range, and even amongst cheaper phones. No 3G (which was pretty much standard for us) and no MMS (which we sent for free) are the two biggest drawbacks as I recall.
3G was standard in the States at the time as well, at least on Verizon.

The first iPhone also had no GPS or, as pointed out, Apple support for third party apps. Steve Jobs wanted the iPhone locked down tight. He had to be convinced to open it up to apps at all.

At the time it came out, my touch WinMo smartphone (Samsung i730) had 3G, WiFi, Google Maps, Opera and Picsel (tap to zoom!) browsers, Slingplayer to watch TV remotely, a bunch of apps, a Handango app store account, stereo output, etc. It was a useful phone, albeit with a smallish screen.

Quote:
On the other hand, it opened the eyes of the people to all the functions that all the other producers had been trying to get us to adapt for years. That was the revolution. As I said before, the screen, the GUI and the marketing department was responsible for the revolution. See what I'm saying?
I agree with you, especially the marketing. Other concept phones with all touch and/or multi-touch were shown or announced before the iPhone, but few paid any attention to such things until Apple marketed theirs.

This is not meant to negate the popularity of the way Apple did their UI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Sagan View Post
Anyone got the numbers of smartphones sold worldwide prior to IPhone compared today?
I researched this once, and IIRC came up with 100 million true (not just music player) smartphones having been sold between 2000 and 2007. Not a lot, but not a little, either. Everything was on the cusp of taking off.

Interestingly, in 2006 most of the general public knew of smartphones... if you said you had a Palm, everyone knew what you meant... there was even a 2004 movie with big stars about a girl looking up old girlfriends in her boyfriend's smartphone ("Little Black Book")... but yes, relatively few owned them for general personal use.
kdarling is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 01:56 PM   #78
sigamy
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: NJ USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericinboston View Post
Thoughts?
This is the pattern for Apple, and largely, the tech industry. There can't be revolutionary and ground breaking devices every single year. It just doesn't work that way.

What huge innovations are HP, Dell and Lenovo making on their laptops? Oh, Ultrabooks....

Microsoft still has large percentage of customers on XP. My corporation just upgraded from XP to Windows 7 two months ago.

The leading gaming consoles are at least 5 years old each.

Apple basically coasted along on the legacy Mac platform from 1985-1995.

Before Jobs came back he was asked what he'd do with Apple. His answer was, "I'd milk the Macintosh for all it's worth and get on with the next big thing."

This is the pattern. It just so happens that right now iOS is the thing to milk...

Apple has smart people and they will continue to innovate. But technology is a tool to accomplish tasks. It's not simply for demoing and creating glory projects or pure research.

What can't you accomplish right now that you'd like to? I'd like to encode H.264 video in 1/5th of real time, I'd like all my apps to use all my Cores and RAM, I'd like WiMax everywhere, affordable Thunderbolt drives, etc.

Most folks are not even tapping 5% of the capability of the hardware and software that they have today...Maybe the next few years are a time to just use what we have to it's full potential.
__________________
Free SMS

Last edited by sigamy; Nov 13, 2012 at 02:08 PM.
sigamy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 01:58 PM   #79
smoledman
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
http://www.patentlyapple.com/

Obviously Apple is full of ideas. What you want a revolution every month?
smoledman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 02:07 PM   #80
sigamy
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: NJ USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by G51989 View Post
Wrong again, Smartphones were VERY popular in the business world WELL before the iPhone. Just because the general public didn't use them personally does NOT mean hardly anyone used them.
Sorry, but Blackberry was not a smartphone. It was an email device. Yes, it was very popular but similar to the PC vs Mac days in the Enterprise, this was due to corporate IT departments deploying Blackberry as the only choice for many. Once individuals got to choose their device, the iPhone won hands down. Many CEOS brought their own iPhone in and demanded their IT departments to make it work.

Treo's were used, but after a few years of Palm OS stagnation even Palm knew it was doomed and started licensing Windows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G51989 View Post
iPad? Tablets were popular before the iPad as well, but a lot of the isheep will buy anything that says Apple on it.
Are you speaking of the pen-based Windows convertable tablets? Microsoft has recently admitted that it's prior tablets were a failure. I don't know any where outside of vertical markets (inventory, field sales, medical) where these things were successful or even wanted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G51989 View Post
Personally? I don't and won't own a tablet. My netbook blows any tablet out of the water.
Really. Wow. Enjoy your netbook.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G51989 View Post
Apple puts out some good products, but they did not invent the smartphone, tablet, or MP3 player.
The prior poster used the term defined; that is basically saying that Apple's products formed the basis for these categories of products. Ask regular folks to describe an MP3 player, a smartphone or a tablet and the vast majority will describe the iPod, iPhone and iPad. No doubt.
__________________
Free SMS
sigamy is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 10:25 AM   #81
ericinboston
Thread Starter
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoledman View Post
http://www.patentlyapple.com/

Obviously Apple is full of ideas. What you want a revolution every month?
@smoledman and all the others asking if I want a revolution every month/year. Of course I don't expect Apple or anyone to do so.

But <knock knock knock on Apple's front door> hello...Apple...it's been 5+ years and it's the same <yawn...big yawn> iOS update every year. Sure, years 1-3 were pretty exciting...but the markets are completely saturated with iPhones and iPods...so Apple produces <TA DA!> an iPad...ok.

So what's next? iPad Nano? iPad Giganto?

All I'm saying is that it's getting quite old...and I believe that the shareholders agree with me...that Apple hit it's peak from a stock point early 2012 and now most are selling...not because Apple stinks...but because Apple, quite honestly, seems to be just churning out new iOS updates every 12 months. Again, big yawn. I don't have the cash (or need) to go plunk down $500 every year for a new iPad...or $300 for a new iPhone or iPod every 1-2 years...no need. Apple has a very limited offering of computers.

If this is all Apple wants to sell (iOS devices and a few computers), sure, nothing wrong with that. But that makes Apple really narrow-minded and all-its-eggs-in-1-basket-ish. If something comes around and blows away the iOS devices (either software, hardware, or pricewise) Apple is really vulnerable. Nobody is worried that Macs will get to 20 or 30% market share....so Apple really is betting the company on iOS handheld devices.

That bet has been going for 5 years now...time to worry (or expand offerings outside of iOS), Apple? Remember that company that made Blackberries? Hmmm...what is their name again? Yea...nobody remembers the company name or the Blackberry.
__________________
1st computer: Apple //e 1983-1992
Now: Lenovo E430 i7, 4GB; Thinkpad W500 8gig, 128DG SSD and 500GB SATA drive; Thinkpad W520 24GB, 2 128GB SSDs, Mac Mini Core 2 3gig, 500gig
ericinboston is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 10:31 AM   #82
BaldiMac
macrumors 604
 
BaldiMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericinboston View Post
@smoledman and all the others asking if I want a revolution every month/year. Of course I don't expect Apple or anyone to do so.

But <knock knock knock on Apple's front door> hello...Apple...it's been 5+ years and it's the same <yawn...big yawn> iOS update every year. Sure, years 1-3 were pretty exciting...but the markets are completely saturated with iPhones and iPods...so Apple produces <TA DA!> an iPad...ok.

So what's next? iPad Nano? iPad Giganto?

All I'm saying is that it's getting quite old...and I believe that the shareholders agree with me...that Apple hit it's peak from a stock point early 2012 and now most are selling...not because Apple stinks...but because Apple, quite honestly, seems to be just churning out new iOS updates every 12 months. Again, big yawn. I don't have the cash (or need) to go plunk down $500 every year for a new iPad...or $300 for a new iPhone or iPod every 1-2 years...no need. Apple has a very limited offering of computers.

If this is all Apple wants to sell (iOS devices and a few computers), sure, nothing wrong with that. But that makes Apple really narrow-minded and all-its-eggs-in-1-basket-ish. If something comes around and blows away the iOS devices (either software, hardware, or pricewise) Apple is really vulnerable. Nobody is worried that Macs will get to 20 or 30% market share....so Apple really is betting the company on iOS handheld devices.

That bet has been going for 5 years now...time to worry (or expand offerings outside of iOS), Apple? Remember that company that made Blackberries? Hmmm...what is their name again? Yea...nobody remembers the company name or the Blackberry.
How many times are you going bump the thread to make the same argument while ignoring the counterpoints?
BaldiMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 10:36 AM   #83
golf1410
macrumors 6502a
 
golf1410's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: San Francisco, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace View Post
So.umm. Where does the MacBook Air creating the ultra book phenom come in here ?

And thunderbolt.


Etc......


Bla bla bla.
I am sorry. Thunderbolt is intel's technology. Do a research.
golf1410 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 10:50 AM   #84
golf1410
macrumors 6502a
 
golf1410's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: San Francisco, CA
I think so. Apple is out of idea. I don't have wow for Apple anymore lately. I think Apple is going down. I love Apple. But I only see Apple is trying to catch up competitors. It is the truth. Google is more innovate than Apple at the moment. You have to admit what android can do on this day. iOS is far behind. Only what you see right now is strong Apple brand which is going down as the Apple goes down as well as loyalty of buying next iphone is going down as now. There is no wow. You almost have the same experience between iphone 5 and iphone 4s. You know it.
golf1410 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 10:56 AM   #85
ericinboston
Thread Starter
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaldiMac View Post
How many times are you going bump the thread to make the same argument while ignoring the counterpoints?
I'm not bumping the thread...I'm replying to others' comments...and I've replied quite a bit. If you have some points I did not address, list them and I will.
__________________
1st computer: Apple //e 1983-1992
Now: Lenovo E430 i7, 4GB; Thinkpad W500 8gig, 128DG SSD and 500GB SATA drive; Thinkpad W520 24GB, 2 128GB SSDs, Mac Mini Core 2 3gig, 500gig
ericinboston is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 11:22 AM   #86
BaldiMac
macrumors 604
 
BaldiMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericinboston View Post
I'm not bumping the thread...
Okay? You bumped a five month old thread by repeating the same points from the original post.

Quote:
I'm replying to others' comments...and I've replied quite a bit.
This was your first reply since you bumped the thread a week ago... and all you did was repeat the same points from the OP.

Quote:
If you have some points I did not address, list them and I will.
My main counterpoint is that the basis of your claim is that Apple has saturated it's current markets. Nothing could be further from the truth.

iPhone - 5.5% of mobile phone market and growing strongly despite limited distribution and price points
iPod - saturated, but dominate
iPad - growing strongly with potentional market growth approaching the PC market
Mac - Around 7% of the global PC market and outperforming the market every quarter for 6 straight years

Apple's content business is strong and either growing or maintaining their share with stronger and wider distribution than either of their major competitors. While not a growth business on it's own, Apple's strength in these market provide a foundation for their hardware business that should insulate them from the whims that you feel are inevitable.

Apple could continue with strong growth in these markets for another decade. As I said before, new product categories would be exciting, but they are hardly necessary to justify investment.
BaldiMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 01:57 AM   #87
golf1410
macrumors 6502a
 
golf1410's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: San Francisco, CA
These are words from co-founder of Apple. Woz: Microsoft might be more creative than Apple.
http://news.cnet.com/8301-17852_3-57...ve-than-apple/
golf1410 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 08:31 AM   #88
rhett7660
macrumors 604
 
rhett7660's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Sunny, Southern California
Now that there has been a shift in the top executives. I am looking forward to see what they bring to the table. I don't know if they will shift a lot in version seven of iOS or 10.9. But I have a feeling we will see some good things down the road.
__________________
"It's quite an experience to hold the hand of someone as they move from living to dead."
"Times are looking grim these days, holding on to everything, it's hard to draw the line"
rhett7660 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 12:59 AM   #89
wikus
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Planet earth.
I'm sorry, when did a generic tablet introduced in 2010 become earth shattering? Are we to believe there were no others prior to that or are we to believe apple invented tablets too?
wikus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 02:43 AM   #90
beg_ne
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by wikus View Post
I'm sorry, when did a generic tablet introduced in 2010 become earth shattering? Are we to believe there were no others prior to that or are we to believe apple invented tablets too?
The iPad - not a tablet - became earth shattering since it's sold about 100 Million units, caused the entire PC industry to decelerate and in opening weekend slaughtered all combined Tablet sales combined through their entire history.

The tablet existed before the iPad, it was just a piece of ****.


As to the OP - you'll find out what the next innovation is when Apple is done with it, and not a moment before. Apparently you want to present yourself as some kind of thought leader by asking banal, shallow questions. It's not worth the time trying to educate you since you appear to be incapable of understanding ideas more complex than "dur hur apple no innovate today apple go bye bye"
beg_ne is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 02:52 AM   #91
wikus
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Planet earth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by beg_ne View Post
The iPad - not a tablet - became earth shattering since it's sold about 100 Million units, caused the entire PC industry to decelerate and in opening weekend slaughtered all combined Tablet sales combined through their entire history.

The tablet existed before the iPad, it was just a piece of ****.


As to the OP - you'll find out what the next innovation is when Apple is done with it, and not a moment before. Apparently you want to present yourself as some kind of thought leader by asking banal, shallow questions. It's not worth the time trying to educate you since you appear to be incapable of understanding ideas more complex than "dur hur apple no innovate today apple go bye bye"
You've basically admitted that tablets did exist before the iPad, therefor nothing revolutionary and only implied the iPad to be revolutionary based on sales figures.

That doesnt make any sense.
wikus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 12:05 PM   #92
G51989
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: New York State
Quote:
Originally Posted by sigamy View Post
Sorry, but Blackberry was not a smartphone. It was an email device.
So, even before the time of the iPhone, Blackberries had very capable web browsers, operating systems, applications, and multiple input devices.

So, if a phone with a fully fledged operating system, down loadable applications, high speed data, and tons of built in functionally isnt a smart phone, then neither is the iPhone.

Quote:
Yes, it was very popular but similar to the PC vs Mac days in the Enterprise, this was due to corporate IT departments deploying Blackberry as the only choice for many.
It was ALSO popular in the consumer market. I knew TONS of people who had them, they were called Crackberries for a reason.

Quote:
Once individuals got to choose their device, the iPhone won hands down. Many CEOS brought their own iPhone in and demanded their IT departments to make it work.
Indeed, its the wonder of marketing.

Quote:
Are you speaking of the pen-based Windows convertable tablets? Microsoft has recently admitted that it's prior tablets were a failure
I remember, Balmer saying Apple was right, but I never heard him say the tablet PC was a failure, it pioneered alot of things we see in tablets today.

I loved mine.

Quote:
I don't know any where outside of vertical markets (inventory, field sales, medical) where these things were successful or even wanted.
So, we can totally ignore the markets were they were succesful? Great.

One of the biggest reasons the tablet PC didn't take off was because it was VERY expensive, a bad one ran 1500 bucks, and a good one ran almost 3000 dollars. Most people can't afford that in a tablet.

Quote:
Really. Wow. Enjoy your netbook.
I recently got a Surface, which I like. But its still not a laptop replacement.

My netbook, has 6gb of ram, a Quad core processor ( not its not an atom), a discreet GPU, and a full operating system, so yes. I'll take it over an iPod.

Quote:
The prior poster used the term defined; that is basically saying that Apple's products formed the basis for these categories of products. Ask regular folks to describe an MP3 player, a smartphone or a tablet and the vast majority will describe the iPod, iPhone and iPad. No doubt.
Thanks to marketing.
G51989 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 02:04 PM   #93
BaldiMac
macrumors 604
 
BaldiMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by wikus View Post
You've basically admitted that tablets did exist before the iPad, therefor nothing revolutionary and only implied the iPad to be revolutionary based on sales figures.

That doesnt make any sense.
The fact that you give two different things the same name does not make them the same.
BaldiMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 02:11 PM   #94
nuckinfutz
macrumors 603
 
nuckinfutz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Middle Earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaldiMac View Post
The fact that you give two different things the same name does not make them the same.
Not to mention Revolutionary versus Evolutionary designation of anything is subjective at its very foundation.

One could have easily yawned at the Mission to the Moon as simply an evolutionary step that the Wright brothers started.

If you want to debate me, first, define your terms.
-Voltaire
nuckinfutz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 04:50 PM   #95
sigamy
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: NJ USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by G51989 View Post
It was ALSO popular in the consumer market. I knew TONS of people who had them, they were called Crackberries for a reason.

Indeed, its the wonder of marketing.

I remember, Balmer saying Apple was right, but I never heard him say the tablet PC was a failure, it pioneered alot of things we see in tablets today.

I loved mine.

So, we can totally ignore the markets were they were succesful? Great.

One of the biggest reasons the tablet PC didn't take off was because it was VERY expensive, a bad one ran 1500 bucks, and a good one ran almost 3000 dollars. Most people can't afford that in a tablet.

I recently got a Surface, which I like. But its still not a laptop replacement.

My netbook, has 6gb of ram, a Quad core processor ( not its not an atom), a discreet GPU, and a full operating system, so yes. I'll take it over an iPod.

Thanks to marketing.
We must run in very different circles. I've been working in corporate IT for 18 years. I knew many Blackberry users. The vast majority of them had a personal phone in addition to the Blackberry. Blackberry was, for the majority, an email device.

MS tablet PC's pioneered what we see in tablets today? Really? What specifically? MS's repeated attempts at "Windows Everywhere" failed miserably. Taking a desktop OS and porting it to non-keyboard/mouse devices was one of the most short-sided decisions every made.

I've never seen a tablet PC used outside of verticals such as sales reps, physicians and inventory/field recording/construction. Those are pretty small verticals.

I'll admit to not following the netbook market but what netbook has a quad core processor and dedicated graphics? What did that "netbook" cost?
__________________
Free SMS
sigamy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 05:15 PM   #96
G51989
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: New York State
Quote:
Originally Posted by sigamy View Post
We must run in very different circles. I've been working in corporate IT for 18 years. I knew many Blackberry users. The vast majority of them had a personal phone in addition to the Blackberry. Blackberry was, for the majority, an email device.
I work for Intercouse Blue Mobo ( hint hint, I'll leave it at that ), and we had tons of people bringing in Blackberries because they liked them some much, in fact thats why we went to Blackberries in my department in the first place, due to employee demands and requests asking for them, thats how much people loved them, then everyone started demanding iPhone, and we switched over to them...for a bit, till we realized how ****** they were for our uses.

Tho I don't work in IT, I actually do simulations.

Quote:
MS tablet PC's pioneered what we see in tablets today? Really? What specifically?
I would say the entire idea of a tablet, which did not exist in the commercial or consumer market at all before the tablet PC. So I would say, lots of things about the tablet, Microsoft started with.

Quote:
MS's repeated attempts at "Windows Everywhere" failed miserably
Indeed it did.

Quote:
Taking a desktop OS and porting it to non-keyboard/mouse devices was one of the most short-sided decisions every made.
At the time, I would have preferred it to something like an iPad, yes it was short sided but for me, I want a REAL operating system, not iOS.

Quote:
I've never seen a tablet PC used outside of verticals such as sales reps, physicians and inventory/field recording/construction. Those are pretty small verticals.
And as small as those markets were, they still sold and made money, so not a failure. Not as huge as the iPad, but we are talking marketing here, I think that personally is what made the iPad such a great seller. I got an iPad 2 as a gift, collecting dust. Personally, I loved iOS on my 3GS, but I can't stand its limitations anymore.

For me, if it made profit, it was a success.

Quote:
I'll admit to not following the netbook market but what netbook has a quad core processor and dedicated graphics? What did that "netbook" cost?
I bought mine awhile ago, reading off the specs, which are still stuck to it, because I'm to lazy to peel them off, has a AMD Quad Core Phenom something or other CPU, made by ASUS, 11 inch screen, big ole hard drive, Has the amd " vision " something in it, ( I'm reading off the sticker, I might boot it up later ), HDMI out, 4USB ports, and blah blah.

I'll get detailed specs if you desite, it ran me 680 dollars.
G51989 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 05:41 PM   #97
ChrisMan287
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: NY.
Dumb thread is dumb.
__________________
15" PowerBook G4, 1.67GHz, 2GB RAM, 250GB HD ; 16GB iPad2.
ChrisMan287 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 06:14 PM   #98
McGiord
macrumors 68040
 
McGiord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Dark Castle
What is it what you want? What product you are expecting that Apple will provide?
Kids grow up, enjoy life it is short.
I just hope that the same intensity that your generation is putting on asking for a new earth shattering iToy is also applied into the medical field and research is done to get cures for some diseases out there.
Different Android devices are released every month, why don't you make the switch if that is what really matters? Having a new toy every few days.
What a contradiction: I want Apple to be earthshaking every few months but I stick to my old Bose crap.
McGiord is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2013, 11:11 AM   #99
ericinboston
Thread Starter
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
So it's been almost a full year since this thread started...I'm still not saying Apple is doomed, but:

1)the stock has lost quite a bit of value (seems I'm not the only one thinking Apple is just re-hashing the same old stuff)

2)as I predicted all we have are updates to iPhone and iPad and Mac for the past 11 months

3)there have been no rumors or announcements about...well...anything at all for 2013. Yes, I'm sure Cook will say "we have great things coming this Fall" 30 days from now, but meh...that could mean anything.

I still doubt there's any kind of tv coming. The hint at some kind of watch will likely be a flop IMO...primarily because people wear stylish jewelry that match their tastes and personality(ever been shopping for a watch?)...not devices that all look the same ...hence one of the big reasons that Google's glasses (and similar techie "wearable" stuff over the past 25 years) has never caught on.

On a side note, iOS is not broken and nor does it need a complete overhaul. If Apple would just add more functionality (that I've listed on this site) such as many of the features Jailbroken iPhones, there probably wouldn't be as many complaints about iOS being old. The look and feel of iOS is just great...let's add all the missing features.

To be clear again...I'm not saying Apple needs to have a wildly new product every year (as some have implied on this thread). Realistically, iPad=iPhone=Touch for 90% of the features. It's been 3 years since the iPad and about 8 since the iPhone. The iPad was not revolutionary...the iPhone was...therefore, it's been 8 years since iOS (what really makes the i devices so great) was born...is Apple really going to just churn out new iOS versions every year for slightly different things to hold in my hand?
__________________
1st computer: Apple //e 1983-1992
Now: Lenovo E430 i7, 4GB; Thinkpad W500 8gig, 128DG SSD and 500GB SATA drive; Thinkpad W520 24GB, 2 128GB SSDs, Mac Mini Core 2 3gig, 500gig
ericinboston is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2013, 02:35 PM   #100
BaldiMac
macrumors 604
 
BaldiMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericinboston View Post
1)the stock has lost quite a bit of value (seems I'm not the only one thinking Apple is just re-hashing the same old stuff)
Because that's the only thing Apple's stock price depends on.

Quote:
2)as I predicted all we have are updates to iPhone and iPad and Mac for the past 11 months
If you ignore all the other products.

You also predicted that they had given up on the Mac line.

Quote:
3)there have been no rumors or announcements about...well...anything at all for 2013.
No rumors? Huh.

Quote:
It's been 3 years since the iPad and about 8 since the iPhone.
Jun 2007 to May 2013 = less than 6.

Quote:
The iPad was not revolutionary...
Because you say so. Even though it created a new market and has had dramatic effects on the PC market.

Quote:
the iPhone was...therefore, it's been 8 years since iOS (what really makes the i devices so great) was born...
Or 6.

Quote:
is Apple really going to just churn out new iOS versions every year for slightly different things to hold in my hand?
No.
BaldiMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote


Reply
MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Apple, Industry and Internet Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2 New Apple Ideas aswiec Community Discussion 0 Jun 23, 2013 11:17 AM
Ideas for a complete setup around Apple TV mylespe Apple TV and Home Theater 3 Mar 25, 2013 04:27 PM
Ideas for a complete setup around Apple TV mylespe Apple TV and Home Theater 3 Mar 22, 2013 09:04 AM
What Ideas From Android Should Apple Look At For iOS 7? irDigital0l iOS 7 105 Jan 2, 2013 03:36 PM
Is Apple running out of ideas? Retina MacBook OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion 66 Jul 27, 2012 06:31 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:45 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC