Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zarraya

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 21, 2010
South Elgin, IL
I am trapped in windows and, a long story short, it is a copy of windows 8 that was not installed with boot camp on my MacBook pro (because windows 7 crashed and I had just burned windows 8 to a disk), thus I have none of the needed drivers. When I hold down option at the start up as well to get the boot loader there is only windows and nothing else... How do I get back to OSX?

DrKockter

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2012
I am trapped in windows and, a long story short, it is a copy of windows 8 that was not installed with boot camp on my MacBook pro (because windows 7 crashed and I had just burned windows 8 to a disk), thus I have none of the needed drivers. When I hold down option at the start up as well to get the boot loader there is only windows and nothing else... How do I get back to OSX?

wipe the hard drive and start fresh

Zarraya

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 21, 2010
South Elgin, IL
Could it be possible for the genius bar to pull data from the Mac partition that is still visible but unaccessable from windows 8?

Stetrain

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2009
Could it be possible for the genius bar to pull data from the Mac partition that is still visible but unaccessable from windows 8?

If you didn't format the entire drive when you installed Windows 8 that's very possible.

Zarraya

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 21, 2010
South Elgin, IL
Thank the heavens! I only formatted the windows bootcamp partition and can still see the other partitions on the drive in windows explorer, I just cant open them... Thank you all for your help.

NZed

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2011
Canada, Eh?
Wait, since part of the drive is in NTFS, cant you just boot up a win 7 disk, format win 8 partition, install win 7 there, install proper drivers? Wouldnt that work?

dlimes13

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2011
Perrysburg, OH
Thank the heavens! I only formatted the windows bootcamp partition and can still see the other partitions on the drive in windows explorer, I just cant open them... Thank you all for your help.

You could install a trial of Paragon HFS+ and that'll install the proper driver for the Mac partition, then you can pull your data.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.