Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nateo200

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 4, 2009
Upstate NY
Ok so I have created AVCHD files with the entire folder structure...I tried Toast and I really don't like how it re-encodes my video even when I select it NOT to do (with professional H.264 certified for AVCHD/Blu-ray from Compressor) and it won't let me keep my audio in tact...I want to know if I can just burn .m2ts files in the AVCHD/Blu-Ray folder structure straight to a disc and will it play like any other AVCHD disc?

I'm getting sort of frustrated here because not only is it a pain to deal with AVCHD but I want HD video AND HD audio which is why I have .m2ts files with Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD, and uncompressed multichannel PCM and not compressed standard Dolby, DTS or stereo PCM! I would preferably NOT like to go through anymore "test" DVD's even if they are cheap. (I use Sony Accucore's which I find to beat the crap out of the Memorex crap I used to use, TDK and Verbatim are great too.)

nateo200

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 4, 2009
Upstate NY
No one knows if I can just burn the file structure of AVCHD to a disc and Play it on set top Blu-ray / AVCHD player? (tested out on my non AVCHD player using Sony Accucore DVD+R discs and it auto played but said it didn't support the format )

kev6677

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2010
Apple hates AVCHD good luck nothing will work right..You wil either spend thousands more in software or pull out your hair before it works right..Goodluck

JasonA

macrumors member
Feb 18, 2009
Use tsMuxerGUI to remux Blu-ray compliant files into AVCHD discs without re-encoding audio or video.

nateo200

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 4, 2009
Upstate NY
Use tsMuxerGUI to remux Blu-ray compliant files into AVCHD discs without re-encoding audio or video.

I use TsmuxeR and I posted another thread sort of foolishly asking if I could just burn the folder structure to a disc...thats what Ive been doing but I haven't a Blu-ray player to test it out on as my own player does NOT play .m2ts files at all or AVCHD (yet it will play MKV's with DTS-HD! Crazy!)

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2006
Apple hates AVCHD good luck nothing will work right..You wil either spend thousands more in software or pull out your hair before it works right..Goodluck

Could you back that up with some sort of fact? It seems to me that you don't really know what you're talking about. Every contact I have had with AVCHD on a Mac has worked flawlessly!

floh

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2011
Stuttgart, Germany
Could you back that up with some sort of fact? It seems to me that you don't really know what you're talking about. Every contact I have had with AVCHD on a Mac has worked flawlessly!

Don't bother. kev6677 already has a reputation on the forum, doing nothing but throwing this exact sentence into every thread that contains "AVCHD" without elaborating any further. I tried reasoning with him, but apparently that's not his thing...

As for the OP: Good BluRay authoring software sadly is still very rare. I am looking for a decent one myself, but it seems they are either "throw in your stuff and I'll do everything for you without any options" or they are really expensive. I'd be interested too if you find a good affordable solution.

Tea-Aholic

macrumors 6502
Dec 8, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
I too have lots of trouble using AVCHD files on my Mac. I have a Cyber-shot TX10 and NEX-5N camera from Sony that can do great quality AVCHD, but I shoot in MP4 for the sake of having it able to be edited in iMovie.

I have Premier Pro CS6 which supposedly does AVCHD but it's too confusing to use :D

JasonA

macrumors member
Feb 18, 2009
I use TsmuxeR and I posted another thread sort of foolishly asking if I could just burn the folder structure to a disc...thats what Ive been doing but I haven't a Blu-ray player to test it out on as my own player does NOT play .m2ts files at all or AVCHD (yet it will play MKV's with DTS-HD! Crazy!)
I use tsMuxer to mux the stuff as an AVCHD disc, then take the resulting BDMV folder into Toast to burn. In Toast, under the VIDEO section, there's an option to burn BDMV folder. As long as you're burning a BDMV folder, Toast won't try to re-encode, it'll just burn it as a Blu-ray video disc. This method has worked pretty consistently for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.