Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dsciel

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 13, 2011
Saw this specs from a Chinese website claiming to be the new specs for Macbook Pro 13'

Hope it is fake because I just sold my macbook pro and waiting for a Retina and Quad Core 13 inch model.......

Attachments

• 68_4649469_6191093e652e866.jpg
    68_4649469_6191093e652e866.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 6,006

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
mbp13.jpg

I just played with effects in Photoshop in hope of proving this was shopped. Unfortunately, it looks very real and some details like the fact that the label SKU (bottom right) and weight (2.06kg instead of 2.04kg) are slightly different make it look real :(.

I'd like to be proved this is an elaborate fake, but it's not looking good. Perhaps Apple would release only a redesigned 15" and keep the current 13" for a generation until the 13" MBA finally replaces it, kind of like the white MacBook that they kept alongside the Aluminium MacBook introduced in 2008.

mikeo007

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2010

I just played with effects in Photoshop in hope of proving this was shopped. Unfortunately, it looks very real and some details like the fact that the label SKU (bottom right) and weight (2.06kg instead of 2.04kg) are slightly different make it look real :(.

I'd like to be proved this is an elaborate fake, but it's not looking good. Perhaps Apple would release only a redesigned 15" and keep the current 13" for a generation until the 13" MBA finally replaces it, kind of like the white MacBook that they kept alongside the Aluminium MacBook introduced in 2008.

Or maybe they trolled everyone...
I know people shouldn't have gotten their hopes up since Apple never promised anything, but...it's pretty disappointing if this is just another spec bump Macbook year, which it seems this may be.

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
Or maybe they trolled everyone...
I know people shouldn't have gotten their hopes up since Apple never promised anything, but...it's pretty disappointing if this is just another spec bump Macbook year, which it seems this may be.

Yup, seems like last year all again. I remember the huge disappointment after several claimed leaks of fake specs. The difference this year however is that Bloomberg "confirmed" it.

Man, I really hope this is just the new "MacBook" that is a rebranded old 13" MBP design with a new 999$ price tag.

jgc

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2012
Canada
SuperDrive and Ethernet? I really hope this isn't real. After setting my mind on the 13" Air, I saw a few thin MBP mock-ups and fell in love with all of them. It would be disappointing to see no major change whatsoever.

DrKockter

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2012
links or it didnt happen

LOL i wouldnt be surprised if apple decided to, i guess "Screw us" over AGAIN but none the less, lets hold our breath till the 11th.

personally i spent way to much on my 2011 macbook. SSD upgrades and acessories, the question u gotta ask urself is when the new ones are released, are u really gonna be doing anything different on the new one then the current one ur using? will it make it that mcuh better experience?

lets find out on the 11th lol

Blu-Ray

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2008
Colorado
Uh oh....

I just hope that the 15" redesign rumor comes through still since that is what I'm planning on getting.

dsciel

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 13, 2011
I got the picture from another chinese forum called "weiphone."

I really hope the picture is fake too because i really want a quad core 13 inch laptop...

chanyitian

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2012
I hope the Macbook Pro gets redesigned and thinner. I see a future where MBPs are replaced by MBAs but I dont think that it will happen this year.

CountSessine

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2010
Do you know how easy that is to fake? I could do that in Photoshop in 10 minutes.

Maybe, maybe not? The noise in the photo looks pretty uniform. To my eyes, there's nothing about it that looks really fake.

Here's a challenge - can you take that photo, edit it so that the specs are a bit more impressive, and then post the results? :)

Can anyone? Surely on a Mac-oriented forum there has to be some Photoshop wizard who could do this?

diamond3

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2005
I'm no expert on this sort of thing, but who's to say the original photo wasn't high quality, they made the adjustments and then decreased the quality to hide the changes?

CountSessine

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2010
I got the picture from another chinese forum called "weiphone."

I really hope the picture is fake too because i really want a quad core 13 inch laptop...

Had a look at that site - do you know of any other interesting Chinese Mac sites? I don't know Chinese but the Chrome translator seemed to work well enough to minimally navigate.

AAPLGeek

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2009
Sadly this looks very real to me. I can tell from some of the pixels...

CountSessine

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2010
Found it!

http://bbs.weiphone.com/read-htm-tid-4835436.html

If you're using Chrome, it'll translate the simplified Chinese to English (although there are peculiarities - like Apple's "thunder and lightning" connector - machine translation isn't perfect :) )

The funny thing is, they claim that it was a friend in the US, working at Apple that snapped the photo.

Friend inside Apple in the United States has been determined to tell me, and showed me a printed configure a single photo. 13-inch PRO will have an Ivy 2.5G I5 processor, 1600 DDR3 memory, is still exactly the same as the 1280X800 resolution, appearance, and the MD313! 15 and 13 almost, so look forward to the thinning of the retina friends wash sleep, do not wait. Originally I was looking forward to the retina of the new PRO, it now appears, hey. . . . . . . . . . . In addition, I did not understand how several people actually said 13 PRO resolution standard is 1440X900. See you is not used 13PRO this man do not trouble in reply. In order to popularize next to you, I Quguan network cut a the 13PRO configuration of Figure you look at it.

CountSessine

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2010
I'm no expert on this sort of thing, but who's to say the original photo wasn't high quality, they made the adjustments and then decreased the quality to hide the changes?

Here's a nice, big, hi-res one to work with, if anyone wants to try. Can anyone produce a 'fake' as nice as the one posted here?

http://i.imgur.com/XZBMv

----------

Pretty weak sauce if this is what we're getting, though. Hopefully the 15" is better.

iamdavekennedy

macrumors regular
May 14, 2012
London / Belfast
Firstly, that is not a comp, it's a real shot image, so comparing the grain etc isn't really going to get us anywhere.

Secondly, are we all so used to digital everything now that we're overlooking the simple task of printing out a self designed image and shooting it?

That seems the most likely scenario here, however, that said I do think that is a feasible spec bump, perhaps there hasn't been enough time to test retina displays with the new specs we are all hoping for to ensure they don't suffer more screen discolouration returns in the next six months.

Regardless, I know I'll be buying an iMac and 13" MBP come release day, but the spec will only differentiate whether or not I go for a new 21.5" iMac or a refurb 27".

This site would be ever so boring if we didn't all get over-hyped and every prediction we had was right!

neilpryde23

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2011
This would be a pretty disappointing upgrade after all the hype but then again, all the reports have only discussed the 15" MBP. If nothing else, at least the specs in the picture include 2 USB 3.0 ports.

iamdavekennedy

macrumors regular
May 14, 2012
London / Belfast
This would be a pretty disappointing upgrade after all the hype but then again, all the reports have only discussed the 15" MBP. If nothing else, at least the specs in the picture include 2 USB 3.0 ports.

Considering I'm a designer struggling to work on a 2006 Mac Mini at the moment due to my 2010 MBP giving me an electric shock and frying itself in the process a month or so ago (thankfully the house insurance covered me and I've got a nice cheque for £1600 to make me feel better) anything will feel like a sufficient upgrade from the Mini at this stage! Haha!

iamdavekennedy

macrumors regular
May 14, 2012
London / Belfast
Scrap that; This is a pointless exercise, making a fake and shooting it is a pretty easy and effortless affair, I was going to try but instead I'm going to wait one week and see what happens, like I've mentioned before, the rumoured spec according to this post is still enough of a bump for me to upgrade! Happy shopping folks.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.