Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Old Jun 5, 2012, 07:38 AM   #51
themcfly
macrumors regular

I think retina display it's not happening right now because the resource consumption would be too high in relation to the benefit of using it, especially on a mobile computer. On the other side, Apple has to get rid of this ugly 1280x800 and 1440x900 on 13" and 15". 1440x900 and 1680x1050 has to become STANDARD, they are decent from a typical viewing distance…
themcfly is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2012, 07:41 AM   #52
Heilage
macrumors 68030

Wow. 1280x800?

Asus just put 1080p in their Zenbook, and Apple are staying with this resolution. I have to say that I am disappointed, Apple often used to push higher resolutions.

EDIT: Unless they are the specs of some kind of bottom line cheaper alternative, that is. Or it might be fake.
Heilage is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2012, 07:41 AM   #53
Minority_taxi
macrumors regular

Standard MacBook

Doesnt say on that label that it is a pro.
Minority_taxi is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2012, 07:41 AM   #54
Fishcake21
macrumors newbie

So i guess thunderbolt failed? USB 3.0 , been waiting for that for 2 years!
Fishcake21 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2012, 07:41 AM   #55
djrod
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountSessine View Post
Maybe, maybe not? The noise in the photo looks pretty uniform. To my eyes, there's nothing about it that looks really fake.

Here's a challenge - can you take that photo, edit it so that the specs are a bit more impressive, and then post the results?

Can anyone? Surely on a Mac-oriented forum there has to be some Photoshop wizard who could do this?
You can do a fake label, print it, take a photograph and Boom, here is the 2012 MBP.
Old Jun 5, 2012, 07:41 AM   #56
Blobs21
macrumors newbie

I don't have a problem

This is going to be the entry level computer for a lot of people kind of the like the MacBook was a few years ago. I can see this computer eventually fading out. I also think the price is going to drop on this computer pretty significantly. It will be the perfect laptop with both price and capabilities. Doesn't need all the fancy stuff that the 15 inch will have.
Blobs21 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2012, 07:42 AM   #57
GoGa
macrumors regular

I think it's fake. Someone could easily print that out and stick it on the box. Also notice how on the label it says 'Mac OS X' when apple has clearly been pushing just 'OS X' with mountain lion?
GoGa is offline   12 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2012, 07:44 AM   #58
b-dogg
macrumors member

My god. That's an embarrassing refresh. Still using HDD's?? Still the same res?? Are they trying to kill the Pro? If they actually try and tart this up in a presentation as the future of the Pro I will laugh out loud.
b-dogg is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2012, 07:45 AM   #59
MacReloaded
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGa View Post
I think it's fake. Someone could easily print that out and stick it on the box. Also notice how on the label it says 'Mac OS X' when apple has clearly been pushing just 'OS X' with mountain lion?
It could come with Lion preinstalled. It's still 'Mac OS X' for Lion, even when Apple updated the Mac OS X "logo" in About this Mac in 10.7.4.
Old Jun 5, 2012, 07:45 AM   #60
jonnysods
macrumors 68030

Wow I hope that the 15 and 17's got all the love then.
Old Jun 5, 2012, 07:45 AM   #61
GoGa
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by omenatarhuri View Post
Who'd be a dodgy cat like that?

Real, Real, I say, Real.
Main reason I can think of is to get more website views.
GoGa is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2012, 07:46 AM   #62
mdgm
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishcake21 View Post
So i guess thunderbolt failed?
Too early to tell
Quote:
USB 3.0 , been waiting for that for 2 years!
Now that Intel supports it with Ivy Bridge, USB 3.0 can be added.
Old Jun 5, 2012, 07:47 AM   #63
iMcLovin
macrumors 65816

Probably real. It's always so that people make over-expectations of what apple will release and then they come out with just a small spec bumps and people gets disappointed....not the first time. I think the retina display thing should wait until gfx cards are ready for it, currently I take performance before resolution.
I never understood the point of Apple releasing a thinner pro though either. Pro is pro and air is air, if the hardware can get smaller, then they should just pump up specs instead on the pro...not compete with their air model, no sense in that. Pro machines are meant for more heavy work and air is meant for casual use.

Though, I honestly don't care, as long as they release a new iMac. Hate to work on a laptop anyway.
Old Jun 5, 2012, 07:47 AM   #64
Tsuchiya
macrumors 65816

They could've bumped up the screen resolution slightly. Even if it weren't "retina" why not the same resolution as the 13" MBA?

Also I do want to mention that this doesn't disprove a different 15" Macbook Pro. When Apple refreshed the lineup years ago to the current Unibody design, the 17" model didn't change at the same time, but a few months later.

Lastly were we really expecting any major change to the 13" model? Wouldn't a thinner profile etc be stepping on MBA territory?
Old Jun 5, 2012, 07:47 AM   #65
Chundles
macrumors G4

Quote:
So i guess thunderbolt failed? USB 3.0 , been waiting for that for 2 years!
USB 3.0 was only natively supported by Intel's chipsets with the recent Ivy Bridge update.
Old Jun 5, 2012, 07:48 AM   #66
djrod
macrumors 6502a

.---
Old Jun 5, 2012, 07:48 AM   #67
ArtOfWarfare
macrumors 603

Send a message via Skype™ to ArtOfWarfare
I'll probably be upgrading out of necessity (getting the rainbow ball too often on my 2007 MBA these days...) but I was really hoping for something more.
Old Jun 5, 2012, 07:50 AM   #68
slnko-v-sieti
macrumors member

Don't worry. This is likely an entry level / "legacy" machine for users who feel they can't yet jettison the super drive. (Thus the only slight refresh, focusing instead on the redesigned models.) Dumping physical media is something of which non-Mac types (and even some Mac types!) are irrationally afraid.

Retaining legacy Macbook Pros is a canny move. Apple can offer consumers the newest, sleekest, daring machine or a slightly less new, still sleek, and comfortable machine.

Plus - hello! - SSDs are expensive and likely constrained.
slnko-v-sieti is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2012, 07:50 AM   #69
kryca
macrumors member

it surely describes the entry level model (hard drive, i5). But the retina display could still be a BTO option...
kryca is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2012, 07:50 AM   #70
Fishcake21
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-dogg View Post
My god. That's an embarrassing refresh. Still using HDD's?? Still the same res?? Are they trying to kill the Pro? If they actually try and tart this up in a presentation as the future of the Pro I will laugh out loud.
Whats worse, its 5400rpm!
Fishcake21 is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2012, 07:51 AM   #71
the read
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtOfWarfare View Post
I'll probably be upgrading out of necessity (getting the rainbow ball too often on my 2007 MBA these days...) but I was really hoping for something more.
Just get a SSD in your computer. It would be faster than this poor upgrade that Apple are pushing. If this does have some truth behind it.
the read is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2012, 07:52 AM   #72
Blobs21
macrumors newbie

Totally agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by slnko-v-sieti View Post
Don't worry. This is likely an entry level / "legacy" machine for users who feel they can't yet jettison the super drive. (Thus the only slight refresh, focusing instead on the redesigned models.) Dumping physical media is something that non-Mac types (and even some Mac types!) are irrationally afraid.

Retaining legacy Macbook Pros is a canny move by Apple. They can offer consumers the newest, sleekest, daring machine or a slightly less new, still sleek, and comfortable machine.

Plus - hello! - SSDs are expensive and likely constrained.
Yeah this is exactly what I said above. This may the only computer that does not offer an ssd as far as laptops are concerned. You have to keep something like this for the consumer even if you sacrifice glorious features.
Blobs21 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2012, 07:52 AM   #73
b-dogg
macrumors member

Quote:
Whats worse, its 5400rpm!
I know!

I put an SSD in my MBP and put the HDD in the optical bay for media. Put 8GB ram in it too. My 3 year old laptop is more ambitious than this!
b-dogg is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2012, 07:54 AM   #74
Mistrblank
macrumors regular

I'm not sure why anyone would be surprised. The hi resolution displays are not going to be "free". They are going to be upgrade options and this is likely a default build.
Mistrblank is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2012, 07:55 AM   #75
Fishcake21
macrumors newbie

Pretty disappointing, aside from the screen which is weakest resolution to put on a 13 inch.... the ivy bridge is based on low voltage dual cores which isn't really much. Was hoping for a quad since these cpus no longer have issues deciding what is better for application/thread wise.
Usb 3.0, bah, well at least with my 2011 macbook pro i can look forward to a production of a thunderbolt to a usb 3.0 adapter now...

And HD 4000 at least is ok...

Here's a crossed fingers hoping that the battery life is at least one hour more
Fishcake21 is offline   3 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro