Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VanMac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 26, 2005
Rampaging Tokyo
Hi.

Fairly new IPOD 30GB Photo. 1 month old.

Working fine last night. Went to turn it on this morning....nothing. Plug into USB into computer....nothing. Plug it into wall outlet with usb cable.....nothing. No screen comes up, nothing. I press all kinds of buttons.....nothing.

Any ideas? I'ts been plugged into wall for sometime now, but nothing. There is AC power at outlet, but IPod does not say it's charging.....nothing.

Darwin

macrumors 65816
Jun 2, 2003
round the corner
It might simply need reseting, here are the instructions from Apple:

To reset iPod mini, iPod mini (Second Generation), iPod photo, and iPod (Click Wheel)

Toggle the Hold switch on and off. (Slide it to Hold, then turn it off again.)

Press and hold the Menu and Select buttons until the Apple logo appears, about 6 to 10 seconds.

You may need to repeat this step.

VanMac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 26, 2005
Rampaging Tokyo
Hey - Thanks.

I had went through the FAQ on their site after I posted this thread. Did everything they suggest. Still nothing......

Called in, and tech siays I need to send it in......sucks........

I'm on hold with support right now as they setup a dispatch. 7 days with no IPOD.....sucks

XNine

macrumors 68040
VanMac said:
Hey - Thanks.

I had went through the FAQ on their site after I posted this thread. Did everything they suggest. Still nothing......

Called in, and tech siays I need to send it in......sucks........

I'm on hold with support right now as they setup a dispatch. 7 days with no IPOD.....sucks

Sometimes the iPod needs a little kick. Plug it in, then do the manual reset. If it doesn't work, unplug it, plug it back it and try again. This will USUALLY fix this problem.

edit: by plugging in I'm referring to a power source.

VanMac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 26, 2005
Rampaging Tokyo
Onizuka said:
Sometimes the iPod needs a little kick. Plug it in, then do the manual reset. If it doesn't work, unplug it, plug it back it and try again. This will USUALLY fix this problem.

edit: by plugging in I'm referring to a power source.
Thanks.

Just tried that to.........nothing.

Anywho, it is going in for repair/replacement. No big deal. Thanks for all your help!

iSaint

macrumors 603
Don't mean to hijack your thread, but my 4G 20g iPod is working fine, but I can't see the screen! I've been listening to it all morning while washing my car and when I pulled it out of my pocket coming in to the house there was no screen. I can play music (though it's a guessing game) and I hear the click-wheel working fine, but dead screen.

So my question is, will a reset make the screen settings reset?

tukigirl83

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2005
I LOVE DARWIN!

Darwin said:
It might simply need reseting, here are the instructions from Apple:

To reset iPod mini, iPod mini (Second Generation), iPod photo, and iPod (Click Wheel)

Toggle the Hold switch on and off. (Slide it to Hold, then turn it off again.)

Press and hold the Menu and Select buttons until the Apple logo appears, about 6 to 10 seconds.

You may need to repeat this step.
DARWIN! After several weeks of no Ipod I want to die! YOU SAVED ME! WILL YOU MARRY ME?? :eek:

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Sometimes if the battery is really flat, it won't work until it has been plugged into a computer (not the wall) to charge. Generally for this, Firewire is more reliable than USB, so if all else fails then maybe get your hands on a Firewire cable you can use.

Hopefully it'll all get fixed in the shop anyway though. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.