Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X 10.7 Lion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jun 5, 2012, 06:48 AM   #1
monkeywalker
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Create a USB boot disk for OSX Lion

I've downloaded OSX lion and I am attempting to create a boot disk for it. I set my source to 'InstallESD.dmg' and my destination to USB stick and press the 'restore' button. But, I seem to get an error saying :
'Could not restore - Invalid argument'
can anyone help.
monkeywalker is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2012, 06:57 AM   #2
Weaselboy
macrumors G5
 
Weaselboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Carefully follow the instructions here step by step and it should work.

If you are getting that error message after following these instructions you may have a corrupted download and will need to redownload.
Weaselboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2012, 07:33 AM   #3
monkeywalker
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
re: Create a USB boot disk for OSX Lion

Hello, when I too the point where it says:
Right-click on the USB drive in Disk Utility and select “Restore

I get the drop down menu only with options:

Open "Lion USB Key"
Unmount "Lion USB Key"
Eject "Lion USB Key"
Reveal "Lion USB Key"

But, the other options: Information, First Aid, Erase, and Restore.
I can't see do I have to set an option in The OS somewhere.
monkeywalker is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2012, 07:41 AM   #4
Weaselboy
macrumors G5
 
Weaselboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
I think they are using Snow Leopard there, and that is why the difference. In place of that drop down, just click the Restore tab to the right.

This page makes it more clear.
Weaselboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2012, 11:40 AM   #5
monkeywalker
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
re: Create a USB boot disk for OSX Lion

I've followed the instructions as you suggested but I still get the same error. I will download OSX Lion again and see if this works.
monkeywalker is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2012, 02:44 PM   #6
monkeywalker
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
re: Create a USB boot disk for OSX Lion

Downloaded OSX Lion again still no luck can any expert advice?
monkeywalker is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2012, 03:45 PM   #7
Weaselboy
macrumors G5
 
Weaselboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Hmmm... how about trying to use this app to make the USB key for you? That will take all the guess work out of it.

Have you formatted the USB key in Disk Util as Mac OS Extended?
Weaselboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2012, 02:41 AM   #8
monkeywalker
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
re:Create a USB installer

thanks weaselboy that worked a treat, and thanks Lionmaker 1.7.
monkeywalker is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2012, 08:31 AM   #9
Weaselboy
macrumors G5
 
Weaselboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywalker View Post
thanks weaselboy that worked a treat, and thanks Lionmaker 1.7.
Yay... glad it worked out.
Weaselboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2012, 02:21 PM   #10
barstef
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Boot from Lion USB onto a clean drive

Hi, wonder if anyone can help please. I have MBK Pro gen 1 Intel, and have had to replace hard disk, the DU with Tiger does't like the block size on the disk and presents it as 8 x more than it is. Reading suggest booting from a newer version of OSX and have create a boot USB for Lion. do an alt power up with it in and it presents the Lion installer, click and it eventually goes to the no entry sign and switches off.. I suspect this is because the drive is not partitioned or formatted yet. So how do I get to the DU on boot up to do that with the Lion USB?

Thanks
barstef is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2012, 02:36 PM   #11
Weaselboy
macrumors G5
 
Weaselboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by barstef View Post
So how do I get to the DU on boot up to do that with the Lion USB?

Thanks
Once you get to to the installer screen click on the Utilities menu at the top and there you can select Disk Utility.
Weaselboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2012, 02:52 PM   #12
barstef
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaselboy View Post
Once you get to to the installer screen click on the Utilities menu at the top and there you can select Disk Utility.
Thanks, but not sure I'm getting that far.. On the alt start I get the Lion image in the a square box in centre screen and a circle with an up arrow in it with the words "EFI Boot" in between, i click on the disk and it disappears and is replaced with the no entry sign and then eventually switches off..
barstef is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2012, 03:01 PM   #13
Weaselboy
macrumors G5
 
Weaselboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by barstef View Post
Thanks, but not sure I'm getting that far.. On the alt start I get the Lion image in the a square box in centre screen and a circle with an up arrow in it with the words "EFI Boot" in between, i click on the disk and it disappears and is replaced with the no entry sign and then eventually switches off..
After you do the option key start and select the Lion install USB key, you should get to this screen and select Disk Util as shown. If you can't get that far, you may not have created your USB install key properly. Even with a completely trashed hard drive you would be able to get this far off just the USB key.

Weaselboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2012, 03:59 PM   #14
barstef
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaselboy View Post
After you do the option key start and select the Lion install USB key, you should get to this screen and select Disk Util as shown. If you can't get that far, you may not have created your USB install key properly. Even with a completely trashed hard drive you would be able to get this far off just the USB key.

Image
I have re partitioned and erased the USB again and loaded Lion back on using Lion Diskmaker, and still same result. Just downloading Lion again and will try again when that has done.. Thanks
barstef is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2012, 03:06 AM   #15
barstef
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by barstef View Post
I have re partitioned and erased the USB again and loaded Lion back on using Lion Diskmaker, and still same result. Just downloading Lion again and will try again when that has done.. Thanks
I downloaded mountain Lion overnight and build a boot USB key with it and same result, clicked button to get to install screen and just got the no entry sign prior to switching off.. Do you think the MBK might have something else wrong with it that is preventing it installing? Thanks
barstef is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2012, 06:19 AM   #16
Weaselboy
macrumors G5
 
Weaselboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by barstef View Post
I downloaded mountain Lion overnight and build a boot USB key with it and same result, clicked button to get to install screen and just got the no entry sign prior to switching off.. Do you think the MBK might have something else wrong with it that is preventing it installing? Thanks
That would be my thought at this point. Even with a completely blank drive installed you would still be able to boot from the installer and get to the screen I showed.
Weaselboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2012, 08:51 AM   #17
barstef
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaselboy View Post
That would be my thought at this point. Even with a completely blank drive installed you would still be able to boot from the installer and get to the screen I showed.
Thanks for your help..
barstef is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X 10.7 Lion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
create recovery partition OSX 10.9 - after cloning disk image joecool99 OS X Mavericks (10.9) 11 Oct 18, 2013 04:12 AM
How Do I Create a Lion Boot/Install DVD from a Lion USB Stick? teletran3 Mac OS X 10.7 Lion 10 Apr 13, 2013 09:41 AM
Mac Mini 2012 Won't Boot From USB Mountain Lion Install Disk nicholaseb Mac mini 9 Nov 21, 2012 10:02 PM
Bootable USB : lion disk maker app vs disk utility solsearchin OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion 1 Sep 22, 2012 07:18 PM
create a boot disk? tbluhp OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion 3 Jul 10, 2012 10:55 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:00 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC