Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Mac and PC Games

Old Jun 5, 2012, 08:27 AM   #1
NameTheUser
macrumors newbie

Counter Strike 1.6 on Mac ((Problem!!))

Hi,

I have a PC game called Counter Strike 1.6 that has been ported for Mac with Cider. So when I opened the game, I wanted to configure it for my computer, and I saw a setting called ''Rendering Settings''. There were three options:
1)Software 2)OpenGL 3)D3D . I didn't know what the ''Software'' or ''D3D'' meant, so I clicked on the ''Software''. And then black screen appeared and the game crashed. When I tried to open the game again, it only opened a small white screen and nothing else. And now it happens to every Cider ported game.

Any ideas?
NameTheUser is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2012, 11:46 AM   #2
cluthz
macrumors 68040

Send a message via MSN to cluthz
Delete the game and unpack it again.
I think you should have chosen d3d.

If it doesn't work go to ~/Library/application support/ and delete the folder with same name as the game.
cluthz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2012, 11:58 AM   #3
NameTheUser
macrumors newbie

It didn't work, but I managed to fix it by myself. You had to delete the game's preferences which are contained under MacHD->Library->Preferences. Thanks for the help anyway
Old Mar 26, 2013, 03:31 AM   #4
carlocea9
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NameTheUser View Post
It didn't work, but I managed to fix it by myself. You had to delete the game's preferences which are contained under MacHD->Library->Preferences. Thanks for the help anyway
I have the similar problem! But I can't find what file to delete.

Though I am not using cider but an actual CS 1.6 for mac.

Please tell help how to fix?
carlocea9 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2013, 04:47 PM   #5
arashb
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlocea9 View Post
I have the similar problem! But I can't find what file to delete.

Though I am not using cider but an actual CS 1.6 for mac.

Please tell help how to fix?
CS 1.6 was never released for Mac. Not sure what you're playing.
arashb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2013, 04:46 AM   #6
Stotka
macrumors regular

On steam valve has ported cs1.6 to osX. It was until recently in Beta but now its full. Day of defeat is also ported. Even Half Life 1 is ported!
Old Aug 26, 2013, 10:19 PM   #7
tuantmvn
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Hi I have the same problems when trying to play CS 1.6 on Macbook ( Lion 10.7.5). I used to play it well before changing the Video system to OpenGL, after that CS 1.6 broken and quit immediately when I open it.

I cant find the file contained game's preferences in Library. Please help me, many thanks.

I came from Asia, so it quite hard to express my Idea, sorry if it have any mistake.

Best regards.
tuantmvn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2013, 01:52 PM   #8
Red Cube
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arashb View Post
Yes it has. Ever checked steam recently? 21 of the 24 games made by valve are available for the mac. 18 are also available for linux.
Old Aug 27, 2013, 07:12 PM   #9
Irishman
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Hi,

I have a PC game called Counter Strike 1.6 that has been ported for Mac with Cider. So when I opened the game, I wanted to configure it for my computer, and I saw a setting called ''Rendering Settings''. There were three options:
1)Software 2)OpenGL 3)D3D . I didn't know what the ''Software'' or ''D3D'' meant, so I clicked on the ''Software''. And then black screen appeared and the game crashed. When I tried to open the game again, it only opened a small white screen and nothing else. And now it happens to every Cider ported game.

Any ideas?
Software refers to how it's rendered onscreen. It means in essence, no hardware acceleration. It doesn't use your video card.
Irishman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2013, 09:26 AM   #10
edddeduck
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by arashb View Post
Are you sure about that?
edddeduck is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2013, 04:13 PM   #11
NameTheUser
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuantmvn View Post
Hi I have the same problems when trying to play CS 1.6 on Macbook ( Lion 10.7.5). I used to play it well before changing the Video system to OpenGL, after that CS 1.6 broken and quit immediately when I open it.

I cant find the file contained game's preferences in Library. Please help me, many thanks.

I came from Asia, so it quite hard to express my Idea, sorry if it have any mistake.

Best regards.
Do you have the original port by Valve or the Cider port? Some older Cider ports of CS 1.6 do not support OS X 10.7+
Old Sep 2, 2013, 03:09 AM   #12
edddeduck
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Do you have the original port by Valve or the Cider port? Some older Cider ports of CS 1.6 do not support OS X 10.7+
If you owned the PC game you will already have the Mac port as the Steam key gives you the PC and Mac versions.

If you don't own the PC version then it means your Mac "Cider port" was a pirated copy.

So if you are having trouble just delete the cider port and install the legitimate version and all should be fine.

Simples
edddeduck is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2014, 03:57 AM   #13
phudq90
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Hi,

Any ideas?
Sorry for bump old thread, but i have the extracly the same problem with OP.
When i'm going to ~Library->Preferences there is no CS1.6 relate files to delete.
Please suggest.
phudq90 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2014, 05:32 PM   #14
PedroHX
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Hi,

Any ideas?
I have the same problem, please, somebody help me!!!
PedroHX is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2014, 01:23 PM   #15
edddeduck
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by phudq90 View Post
Sorry for bump old thread, but i have the extracly the same problem with OP.
When i'm going to ~Library->Preferences there is no CS1.6 relate files to delete.
Please suggest.
Just install it from Steam instead, it's a native version and it's free if you own the PC version this avoids all the silly Cider issues.

As for Cider, I would look for Cider Preferences (not the game) in your library, you can try and open the game in a new user and see if that also crashes. If it does it means the settings are stores in the global library, if it doesn't it means they are stored in the users library.

Edwin
edddeduck is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2014, 05:17 PM   #16
Wizdim
macrumors newbie

Fixed it!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroHX View Post
I have the same problem, please, somebody help me!!!
Shoo I have been struggling for days with this one, I was about to give and then downloaded another cs1.6, but still the same issue. It doesn't matter if you re install it or whatever, you gotta delete it from preferences, I just followed the advice, I searched from top to bottom under library/preferences folder, it seems it was sitting at the bottom of the preference folder titled 'Counter Strike 1.6 Preferences', I deleted both folders and my cs1.6 is opening again.... sori I missed killing some punks! see ya!
Wizdim is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Mac and PC Games