Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jak Atackka

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 5, 2012
Hello! I'm running a 17" PowerBook G4 with Mac OS X 10.5.8, and I'm trying to find a free equivalent to Notepad++. I've found quite a few threads, which usually suggest Textwrangler or Coda, but both are Intel-only. Are there any free options out there, or am I stuck with TextEdit?

Also, a completely separate question that I felt didn't need its own thread: I'm trying to identify my PowerBook G4 model. The model identifier is "PowerBook5,7" and it has PC2700 DDR SDRAM, but it has a 1680x1050 screen. This is a laptop that I got as a gift when someone upgraded laptops, and I'm fairly sure they upgraded this, since I got it with a 160GB hard drive, 10.5.8, and 2GB RAM. So, which model do I have?

- Jak Atackka

Last edited:

jordanhatch

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2012
Komodo

I use Komodo Edit for everything - it works on my G5 PPC and on my C2D MacBookPro and my i7 iMac... Its great for editing simple text/html files and works even better for writing code in PHP or any other language for that matter. Give it a shot.

johannnn

macrumors 68020
Nov 20, 2009
Sweden
BBedit? Never seen a text editor with more features. Next to latest version works fine on PPC

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.