Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Design and Graphics

Old Jul 15, 2005, 03:34 PM   #1
GanChan
macrumors 6502

How to change .jpg image sizes?

What's the easiest (and cheapest) way to re-size images if you don't have Photoshop? What freeware do you recommend?

I'd like to make some little avatars out of larger images.
GanChan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2005, 03:45 PM   #2
alex_ant
Banned

I think Preview.app can do this... can't it?
alex_ant is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2005, 03:48 PM   #3
feakbeak
macrumors 6502a

iPhoto will let you do this when exporting - it's not free but if you've gotten a Mac anytime recently you'll have it.

~ Athlon 3800+ X2 / 2 GB / ATI HD 4850
~ 1.42 GHz G4 Mac mini / 1 GB / AE & BT / Super Drive
~ 8 GB iPhone
feakbeak is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2005, 04:01 PM   #4
wordmunger
macrumors 603

My version of Preview won't do it (the one that comes with Panther). You can change the file compression, but not the size. But you can use iPhoto to change the size, then use Preview to change the compression.

Or you can get the GIMP, decent open source photo app.

If you have a professional Mac, it should have come with graphic converter, which also does the trick.

There are also some online tools which will do this. I know Yahoo! photos allows you to resize as part of the uploading process. You don't have as many options, but it does work.
wordmunger is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2005, 04:08 PM   #5
~Shard~
macrumors P6

Send a message via Skype™ to ~Shard~
I don't know of any free tools that do this. I've used iPhoto before to do some resizing, via exporting or composing an e-mail, but it isn't the best. So, I always use ACDSee for all my editing needs, as Photoshop (and Elements for matter as well!) is overkill for what I need.
Old Jul 15, 2005, 04:15 PM   #6
mkrishnan
Moderator emeritus

If you have Tiger, also Automator -> Preview scripts -> Scale Image. I actually don't see how you do it, even in Tiger, directly from Preview (I only see crop), but through Automator, it is possible, oddly....
Old Jul 15, 2005, 04:22 PM   #7
Eidorian
macrumors Penryn

Send a message via AIM to Eidorian
ToyViewer

I found that GIMP asked to much of me. I like it to create and edit images when I have the time, but ToyViewer handles my cropping and resizing. I've used it to make avatars quite often.
Old Jul 15, 2005, 04:28 PM   #8
GimmeSlack12
macrumors 603

Just get Graphic-Converter, its shareware, but its a great program. Its been around for years on the Macintosh. It has more file-formats than I ever knew existed (including JPEG).
GimmeSlack12 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2005, 04:41 PM   #9
mac 2005
macrumors 6502a

Shareware $12

Here's a good app that I own. $12.

Easy Crop
Old Jul 15, 2005, 05:54 PM   #10
~Shard~
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eidorian
ToyViewer

I found that GIMP asked to much of me. I like it to create and edit images when I have the time, but ToyViewer handles my cropping and resizing. I've used it to make avatars quite often.
I didn't klnow ahouit this app - looks pretty useful, and it's free! Thanks for the link, I'll add it to my collection.
Old Jul 16, 2005, 12:46 AM   #11
Eidorian
macrumors Penryn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Shard~
I didn't klnow ahouit this app - looks pretty useful, and it's free! Thanks for the link, I'll add it to my collection.
I found it while reading a review for Photoshop Elements 3.0.
Old Jul 16, 2005, 12:57 AM   #12
~Shard~
macrumors P6

Quote:
I found it while reading a review for Photoshop Elements 3.0.
So were you contemplating purchasing AE at the time, or was this after you had already purchased it?
Old Jul 16, 2005, 01:06 AM   #13
Eidorian
macrumors Penryn

Quote:
So were you contemplating purchasing AE at the time, or was this after you had already purchased it?
I was just checking out a review. I don't really nee AE, unless I want to try out some tutorials. I've only brushed the surface in GIMP. The X11 requirement makes it annoying...
Old Jul 16, 2005, 01:10 AM   #14
~Shard~
macrumors P6

Quote:
I was just checking out a review. I don't really nee AE, unless I want to try out some tutorials. I've only brushed the surface in GIMP. The X11 requirement makes it annoying...
Ah, cool. Just curious to see if you had unfortunately purchased AE and then found this free tool would do the job. D'oh!
Old Jul 16, 2005, 01:24 AM   #15
Eidorian
macrumors Penryn

Quote:
Ah, cool. Just curious to see if you had unfortunately purchased AE and then found this free tool would do the job. D'oh!
Just to resize and crop? Uhh...no. I'm just looking for a Mac version of Irfanview for the PC.
Old Jul 16, 2005, 01:29 AM   #16
~Shard~
macrumors P6

Quote:
Just to resize and crop? Uhh...no. I'm just looking for a Mac version of Irfanview for the PC.
Gotcha. You'd be surprised though how many people mistakenly go out and buy something that's overkill because they don't look into their options properly. Luckily, neither of us are like that though.
Old Jul 16, 2005, 02:23 AM   #17
iBlue
macrumors Core

I have a copy (given to me) of photoshop elements (3) and I actually find it to be a very useful application. it's affordable and all the average user would ever need.

just my $.02

not that I am recommending this for the purpose stated here, but I wanted to stick up for little ole elements

ToyViewer looks like it might be useful for you, I didn't know about it before this either but it looks easy enough.
Old Jul 16, 2005, 02:41 AM   #18
~Shard~
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by iBlue
I have a copy (given to me) of photoshop elements (3) and I actually find it to be a very useful application. it's affordable and all the average user would ever need.

just my $.02

not that I am recommending this for the purpose stated here, but I wanted to stick up for little ole elements

ToyViewer looks like it might be useful for you, I didn't know about it before this either but it looks easy enough.
And I wasn't trying to bash AE or anything, it;s a fine app - I was just pointing out that, again, in this case, it would be overkill to do what the user is wanting to do.
Old Jul 16, 2005, 04:56 AM   #19
redAPPLE
macrumors 68030

this might be off topic, but maybe you could forgive for asking.

the original question was how to change image sizes (this is by cropping or reducing image size by removing pixels, right?).

how about if i have a .jpg image and i want to increase its size, by adding more pixels. or better said, how can i make a small picture larger, without damaging quality?
redAPPLE is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2005, 06:56 AM   #20
Mitthrawnuruodo

Quote:
Originally Posted by redAPPLE
how about if i have a .jpg image and i want to increase its size, by adding more pixels. or better said, how can i make a small picture larger, without damaging quality?
Easy answer: You cannot. It's not possible to add something that's not there (that just works on shady TV shows where they "magically" zooms in and enhances the number plates of cars from ordinary surveillance footage off a VHS tape.)

The bit more helpful answer: Photoshop, and other image editing software, has filters to help whenever you need to blow up an image. Just don't expect too much, especially if you trying to blow it up by more than, let's say, 2-300%. After that everything gets blurry.
Old Jul 16, 2005, 10:18 AM   #21
iSaint
macrumors 603

Send a message via AIM to iSaint
Google has Picasa that is easy to use. DOH! Not available for Macs! Here's the explanation why...
Old Jul 16, 2005, 11:54 AM   #22
Dane D.
macrumors 6502a

use iPhoto

Just checked iPhoto>Export; seems to me you can resize if you kow the pixel dimensions. My suggeestion is spend some money on Graphic Convertor (shareware) and use it since Photoshop is out of the question.

My $0.02
iPhoto is a joke, has a Photoshop user for 13 yrs I find that program to be useless. That was the first time I ever opened the app. I thought it would be a cool app but it is definitely geared toward non-creative types.
Dane D. is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Design and Graphics