Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion

Old Jun 5, 2012, 04:09 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple Releases MainStage 2.2.2 via Mac App Store

Apple today released MainStage 2.2.2 [Mac App Store], an update to the company's software for bringing virtual instruments and effects to live performances. According to the full release notes, the update addresses 14 different issues, with the company highlighting the following:
Quote:
The MainStage 2.2.2 update addresses overall stability and performance issues including:

o Addresses a stability issue that could cause MainStage to quit unexpectedly on OS X 10.7.4
o Fixes an issue that prevented the I/O plug-in from outputting audio
o Resolves an issue related to the download and installation of basic and additional content
MainStage is a 302 MB download from the Mac App Store and is priced at $29.99, although the 2.2.2 update is of course free for current MainStage 2.2 users. Formerly a component of the Logic Studio suite, Apple moved MainStage (and Logic Pro) to the Mac App Store last December.

Article Link: Apple Releases MainStage 2.2.2 via Mac App Store
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2012, 04:31 PM   #2
Skika
macrumors 68020

I hope the update will be available for those of us with the boxed version as well. I doesn't seem like a big request.
Old Jun 5, 2012, 04:42 PM   #3
shurcooL
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skika View Post
I hope the update will be available for those of us with the boxed version as well. I doesn't seem like a big request.
You'd have to go through the process of redeeming a Mac App Store copy of the app from your boxed copy. I'm not sure if they support it for MainStage, but I do know it is supported for the preinstalled iLife suite, for example. When you try to run the Mac App Store app and check the updates tab, it prompts you to do the described above.
shurcooL is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2012, 08:17 PM   #4
DocStone
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by shurcooL View Post
You'd have to go through the process of redeeming a Mac App Store copy of the app from your boxed copy. I'm not sure if they support it for MainStage, but I do know it is supported for the preinstalled iLife suite, for example. When you try to run the Mac App Store app and check the updates tab, it prompts you to do the described above.
Shurcool, how exactly do you do that. Would appreciate a link on the process. Thanks in advance.
Old Jun 5, 2012, 09:06 PM   #5
fretdevil
macrumors member

Logic Studio Redemption

I wish Apple would just let us go to a secure site, type in the serial number of our "High Priced" boxed product and give us redemption codes for Logic and Mainstage.

We will wind up waiting just like we did for Logic 9.1.7 and Mainstage 2.1.3.
We paid twice what App Store purchasers paid for the same software and get substandard support.

This continues to tick me off!

----------

Quote:
You will have to wait and you should not have to!

----------

Quote:
You will have to wait and you should not have to!
fretdevil is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2012, 09:47 PM   #6
NY Guitarist
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by fretdevil View Post
I wish Apple would just let us go to a secure site, type in the serial number of our "High Priced" boxed product and give us redemption codes for Logic and Mainstage.

We paid twice what App Store purchasers paid for the same software and get substandard support.

This continues to tick me off!
Me too!
NY Guitarist is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2012, 10:06 PM   #7
filman408
macrumors regular

Quote:
http://support.apple.com/kb/TS4027

"MainStage 2.2 is a feature upgrade for MainStage 1.0 and 2.0 customers available for purchase on the Mac App Store."
Old Jun 6, 2012, 02:52 AM   #8
shurcooL
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocStone View Post
Shurcool, how exactly do you do that. Would appreciate a link on the process. Thanks in advance.
Just open Mac App Store and go to purchases tab. You should see it there if it's supported.

Here's how it looks like for iLife:

Old Jun 6, 2012, 07:45 AM   #9
hamean
macrumors member

Hopefully more stable

I've had some stability issues in osx Lion on multiple machines running mainstage. Hopefully, this update will settle these issues. It's never good to run a live program on stage with stability issues.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 12:19 PM   #10
macbookflasher
Banned

Send a message via Skype™ to macbookflasher
macbook

hello,
macbook i-air will be cheap but in next 6 months. I have seen there in no any store in new york which has it.
macbookflasher is offline   -3 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2012, 04:43 PM   #11
fretdevil
macrumors member

Quote:
Just open Mac App Store and go to purchases tab. You should see it there if it's supported.

Here's how it looks like for iLife:

This functionality does not work for any "Pro Apps".
I am sure it could work in a similar fashion. Apple has chosen to alienate existing retail box purchasers.

The folks at Apple used to bend over backwards to properly support pro users.
No Mas!
iPad sales are number one.
MacPro,16GB, 4-1TB HD, 30" Cin Disp; iMac 27", 16GB, 1TB HD,27" TB Display; MBPro 17", 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD, 24" Cin Disp; MB Air 13", 4GB RAM, 256GB SSD; iPad3 , 32GB; iPhone 4S 32GB; iPod Touch 64GB.
fretdevil is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2012, 09:13 PM   #12
NY Guitarist
macrumors 6502

Quote:
This functionality does not work for any "Pro Apps".
I am sure it could work in a similar fashion. Apple has chosen to alienate existing retail box purchasers.

The folks at Apple used to bend over backwards to properly support pro users.
No Mas!
iPad sales are number one.
Correct... It does NOT work for the more expensive boxed version of Logic Pro/Mainstage.

And sadly I agree that Apple has made mass-consumers their number one priority. I understand why, because that's where mass sales are to be made. The problem is that they want ALL of their customers to be part of their consumer business model. In order to accomplish that goal, everything needs to be dumbed-down to fit that model, including Pro-Apps.

Apple wants to force everyone they do business with to use the App Store.
NY Guitarist is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2012, 10:58 PM   #13
fretdevil
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Guitarist View Post
Correct... It does NOT work for the more expensive boxed version of Logic Pro/Mainstage.

And sadly I agree that Apple has made mass-consumers their number one priority. I understand why, because that's where mass sales are to be made. The problem is that they want ALL of their customers to be part of their consumer business model. In order to accomplish that goal, everything needs to be dumbed-down to fit that model, including Pro-Apps.

It's a pity this situation does not get more attention. Us creative types were the backbone of Apples survival. (Not meant to diminish Steve's role)

As America was once exceptional...

So goes Apple...
fretdevil is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2012, 02:57 AM   #14
shurcooL
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Guitarist View Post
The problem is that they want ALL of their customers to be part of their consumer business model. In order to accomplish that goal, everything needs to be dumbed-down to fit that model, including Pro-Apps.

I don't get why everything needs to be dumbed-down?

What is wrong with buying Apps from MAS? I think it's a superior forward-looking solution. It eliminates the need for physical things that can get lost, damaged, and take up space, require a drive with moving parts just to read an optical disk.

Compare that to the convenience of having all your MAS apps reinstallable with the click of a single button on any of your Macs.

Why would an app have to dumbed-down to appear in MAS? I don't think so.

The problem here is with legacy support, not pro support.

You might be upset about them making the decision to make version 2.2 a non-free upgrade (just like 2.0 was over 1.0), and I hear you, but that's where you should be putting the blame - not anything else.
Old Jun 8, 2012, 01:13 PM   #15
foodog
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

This continues to tick me off![COLOR="#808080"]
This is one of my biggest gripes too as the APP store has rolled out. Why not type the serial number into the app store and have it added to your account.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 01:19 PM   #16
sailnc
macrumors newbie

Agreed - wasn't it enough that we paid $500 for the boxed Logic Studio set? Now, to get what amounts to a minor update and a collection of bug fixes, we have to purchase it from the App Store. I know 30 bucks isn't gonna break me but it sure has an effect on how I perceive Apple!
sailnc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2012, 02:10 PM   #17
Anuba
macrumors 68040

Quote:
What is wrong with buying Apps from MAS? I think it's a superior forward-looking solution. It eliminates the need for physical things that can get lost, damaged, and take up space, require a drive with moving parts just to read an optical disk.
Buying stuff from MAS is great, I love it. It's just that I can't buy stuff for my firm from there, because the receipts they send out here in Europe are worthless... they don't specify VAT (in fact, they make a point of not doing so by writing "This is not a VAT notice" at the bottom of each receipt). If I take those receipts to my accountant he'll shrug and tell me that the tax authority would reject them utterly. So the store is for consumers only until they fix that. I've bought some minor stuff like the Mountain Lion update and paid out of my own pocket, but I'm not gonna do that with $X,XXX stuff like Logic Studio. Should they ever adapt the App Store for small businesses I will be first in line, but right now, all they offer small business customers is a big fat middle finger in the air.

Last edited by Anuba; Oct 21, 2012 at 02:21 PM.
Anuba is offline   2 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion