Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Jun 5, 2012, 08:13 PM   #1
rumpelstilzchen
macrumors newbie

iPad 3 - MKV to MP4 remux (not re-coding)

Hi,

I recently discovered that iPad 3 is pretty bad with mkv especially 1080p. though EC Player plays everything quite nice, its not always perfect, so i tried to convert mkv to mp4 with handbrake and iVI - but it takes Aaaaages...
then i heard that there is a possibility of simple container change, or remuxing mkv to mp4 in other words.

the problem! i tried that - and...it still plays crapppy.
so i figured that there is some kind of profile incompatibility.
i know that maximum h264 profile iPad can natively play is High@4.1
i do have files with profile high@4.1 and lower - but as i mentioned early the result was not positive - did not play natively , and play back was as horrible as playing the original mkv. so i guess profile is not the only thing that effects compatibility...
i thought that audio might be a problem (most of my stuff is 5.1 dts) so i tried to recode the audio to 2 channel AAC 160kbps. it did not help.
so what am i missing?

basically my question is - what am i doing wrong, and how to know if an mkv will remux good in advance (if such a thing is possible at all).

info about my computer:
mac mini 2.7ghz i7, 8gb ram, osx lion 10.7.4
program i used for remuxing is MP4tools.

Thanks in advance!
rumpelstilzchen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2012, 08:46 PM   #2
jltj
macrumors member

Just use subler. Quick and easy.
jltj is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2012, 04:10 AM   #3
KimLA
macrumors newbie

Just use MkvToMp4, I remux files in 5 minutes (i7 2600K) and it plays flawlessly on the iPad default player. You have to reencode the audio to AAC though, this little piece of software does that. It also manages subtitles without hardcoding them.

http://www.videohelp.com/tools/MkvToMp4
KimLA is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2012, 01:17 AM   #4
Chundles
macrumors G4

I use Subler.

Took my 4-nearly-5 year old Core 2 Duo MacBook about 20 mins to remux a 2.5 hour 1080p MKV to a High Profile 4.1 m4v file.

Results are great.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 01:21 AM   #5
jomirrivera
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumpelstilzchen View Post
Hi,

I recently discovered that iPad 3 is pretty bad with mkv especially 1080p. though EC Player plays everything quite nice, its not always perfect, so i tried to convert mkv to mp4 with handbrake and iVI - but it takes Aaaaages...
then i heard that there is a possibility of simple container change, or remuxing mkv to mp4 in other words.

the problem! i tried that - and...it still plays crapppy.
so i figured that there is some kind of profile incompatibility.
i know that maximum h264 profile iPad can natively play is High@4.1
i do have files with profile high@4.1 and lower - but as i mentioned early the result was not positive - did not play natively , and play back was as horrible as playing the original mkv. so i guess profile is not the only thing that effects compatibility...
i thought that audio might be a problem (most of my stuff is 5.1 dts) so i tried to recode the audio to 2 channel AAC 160kbps. it did not help.
so what am i missing?

basically my question is - what am i doing wrong, and how to know if an mkv will remux good in advance (if such a thing is possible at all).

info about my computer:
mac mini 2.7ghz i7, 8gb ram, osx lion 10.7.4
program i used for remuxing is MP4tools.

Thanks in advance!
I have an app called AVplayer HD, it plays 1080p video perfectly on my ipad 3, I downloaded a movie that was 20 gigs in pure full HD and it played without any hiccups!

you might want to try it
jomirrivera is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2012, 03:12 AM   #6
Neskeens
macrumors newbie

Is this with all mkv files or just one. I use mp4tools to convert mkv to mp4/m4v and I have no issues playing any video on my iPad 3. I, however, ensure that I encode my audio to aac and not dts etc.

Mp4tools. Runs only on a Mac though. Its freeware but you can encode only one file at a time and it does the audio encoding as well. It also has presets for different devices. To unlock, it costs USD $5! Try that out!
Neskeens is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2012, 06:13 AM   #7
Menneisyys2
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neskeens View Post
Is this with all mkv files or just one. I use mp4tools to convert mkv to mp4/m4v and I have no issues playing any video on my iPad 3. I, however, ensure that I encode my audio to aac and not dts etc.

Mp4tools. Runs only on a Mac though. Its freeware but you can encode only one file at a time and it does the audio encoding as well. It also has presets for different devices. To unlock, it costs USD $5! Try that out!
Yup, Mp4tools is pretty nice. However, in my tests, I've found it messing up subtitle tracks (if any). Therefore, if you do have subs, make sure you check them after remuxing. If they are messed up, go for iFlicks, it consistently worked in my tests.
Menneisyys2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2012, 06:59 AM   #8
boomhower
macrumors 65816

I use iFlicker to remux. Takes around 3 minutes for one hour 1080P TV shows and 5 minutes for movies.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 07:55 AM   #9
RedRaven571
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chundles View Post
I use Subler.

Took my 4-nearly-5 year old Core 2 Duo MacBook about 20 mins to remux a 2.5 hour 1080p MKV to a High Profile 4.1 m4v file.

Results are great.
I've been using Smart Converter, very simple. Mkv to m4v is a fast conversion.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 12:13 PM   #10
dchao
macrumors 6502a

+1 on subler.

Subler also can pull in movie metadata from TheMovieDB. Add AC-3 passthrough for Apple TV. Add chapter thumbnails.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 08:33 PM   #11
BFizzzle
Banned

just tried subler for the first time, thanks for the recommendations guys.. its awesome
BFizzzle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2012, 03:25 AM   #12
Neskeens
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menneisyys2 View Post
Yup, Mp4tools is pretty nice. However, in my tests, I've found it messing up subtitle tracks (if any). Therefore, if you do have subs, make sure you check them after remuxing. If they are messed up, go for iFlicks, it consistently worked in my tests.
I have never experienced a problem with subtitles. Maybe that's because I always do a soft mux rather than burned!
Neskeens is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2012, 09:11 AM   #13
RedRaven571
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waynerd View Post
I have been trying to convert a BD mkv to m4v using Subler but I keep getting an error (Audio Converter could not initialize). The audio tracks are TrueHD and 3+2/1.
Try Smart Converter (the free one), can DL from Mac App store...
Old Sep 3, 2012, 05:10 PM   #14
sampath
macrumors newbie

Another option would be to jailbreak and install XBMC. The UI might not be the most slick you'll ever see but it plays HD MKVs - either stored locally or streamed from a NAS - without breaking a sweat, no conversion/remuxing necessary.
sampath is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2012, 05:31 PM   #15
acorntoy
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRaven571 View Post
Try Smart Converter (the free one), can DL from Mac App store...

Was about so suggest this as well. This is a really easy way to do it if your not trying to resize the file and just want it to turn into a mp4
acorntoy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2012, 05:41 PM   #16
WeegieMac

I bought AVPlayerHD, which plays back MKV and HD AVI files perfectly.

Cost me £1.99 on the App Store and has saved me time converting my MKV and HD AVI movies to M4V. Sure, you don't get to tag the files with the likes of MetaX and see them in the stock Videos app, but it sure as hell saves time.
WeegieMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2012, 07:29 AM   #17
Menneisyys2
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neskeens View Post
I have never experienced a problem with subtitles. Maybe that's because I always do a soft mux rather than burned!
I'm pretty sure it (MP4Tools) does have problems. (I've tested the latest, officially purchased version.) It indeed won't have problems with "simple" MKV's with one subtrack at http://www.auby.no/files/video_tests...s_monsters.mkv .

More complicated MKV's, however, may pose problems. Give a try to, say, https://dl.dropbox.com/u/13100693/ht...v-subtest2.mkv . Both Subler and iFlicks retains all subs of the same file properly.

I've tested it with several MKV's having several subtracks and MP4Tools has always had the same problem - effectively, it includes exactly the same (!!) subtrack for every input language.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeegieMac View Post
I bought AVPlayerHD, which plays back MKV and HD AVI files perfectly.

Cost me £1.99 on the App Store and has saved me time converting my MKV and HD AVI movies to M4V. Sure, you don't get to tag the files with the likes of MetaX and see them in the stock Videos app, but it sure as hell saves time.
Just remember to enable HW acceleration.

----------

Quote:
I have been trying to convert a BD mkv to m4v using Subler but I keep getting an error (Audio Converter could not initialize). The audio tracks are TrueHD and 3+2/1.
Install Perian. On pre-10.8 OS'es, all you need to do is this for both DTS and AC3 conversion.

On ML, it'll enable DTS conversion only. For AC3, you'll need to overwrite the A52Codec.component file it puts under ~/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components with the one at https://dl.dropbox.com/u/34821905/A5....component.zip

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by acorntoy View Post
Was about so suggest this as well. This is a really easy way to do it if your not trying to resize the file and just want it to turn into a mp4
While it's much faster than, say, iFlicks and, in addition to being both much faster and reliable than MP4Tools, it doesn't support subtitles at all. In addition, Subler is definitely faster. That is, you'll want to prefer Subler if you need absolutely the best speed and retain soft subs.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by sampath View Post
Another option would be to jailbreak and install XBMC. The UI might not be the most slick you'll ever see but it plays HD MKVs - either stored locally or streamed from a NAS - without breaking a sweat, no conversion/remuxing necessary.
Just keep in mind that it doesn't support the iPad 3 Retina screen.

Last edited by OllyW; Sep 17, 2012 at 06:08 PM. Reason: Self-promotion
Old Sep 7, 2012, 03:33 AM   #18
Menneisyys2
macrumors 601

Quote:
I just tried it out to convert some mkv's. Was very fast and is very easy to use.But you need to pay $10 for that.
Get Subler if you want something free but truly excellent. It is about 2 times faster than Smart Converter and also keeps the subs, unlike Smart Converter.

Also see my posts above.
Old Sep 8, 2012, 06:54 PM   #19
RedRaven571
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
I just tried it out to convert some mkv's. Was very fast and is very easy to use.But you need to pay $10 for that.
The full program that allows you to add multiple files to the queue is $10; the lite one (the one I've been using) is free. Full functionality, no watermarks, etc. but only does 1 file at a time. I'm cheap so I use the free one.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 05:05 AM   #20
Menneisyys2
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRaven571 View Post
The full program that allows you to add multiple files to the queue is $10; the lite one (the one I've been using) is free. Full functionality, no watermarks, etc. but only does 1 file at a time. I'm cheap so I use the free one.
BTW, Subler allows for queuing files even using a drag-and-drop, absolutely automatic and fast way - for free. And it's two times faster AND also keeps your subs (if any). IMHO there's no point in preferring Smart Converter to it.

Last edited by OllyW; Sep 17, 2012 at 06:07 PM. Reason: Self-promotion
Old Sep 10, 2012, 06:01 AM   #21
Skika
macrumors 68020

+1 for Subler. It is DA BOMB.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 08:42 AM   #22
RedRaven571
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menneisyys2 View Post
BTW, Subler allows for queuing files even using a drag-and-drop, absolutely automatic and fast way - for free. And it's two times faster AND also keeps your subs (if any). IMHO there's no point in preferring Smart Converter to it.
I'll give it a try, thanks!

Last edited by OllyW; Sep 17, 2012 at 06:06 PM. Reason: Clean up to quote
RedRaven571 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2012, 01:11 AM   #23
Menneisyys2
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indita View Post
I have the exact same problem with Mp4tools with the new iPhone software (I have the iPhone 5) and also when I try to play in Windows Media Player there is video but no sound! So I know there is both sound and picture attached to the file but something wrong with the actual file.
In the meantime, it has turned out that the new beta of MP4Tools fixes the subtitle problem - and is way faster & more reliable. Make sure you use it and not the regular version. Download from http://www.emmgunn.com/betadownload.html
Old Oct 7, 2012, 03:22 PM   #24
Redjericho
macrumors 6502a

PowerPlayer can play 1080p mkv's flawlessly.

It is less than good for any other format, but it was built from the ground up for mkv. (From the makers of GoodPlayer)

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/power...520818788?mt=8

( 1080p only supported on iPhone 4S, iPad 2/3)
Redjericho is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2012, 04:13 PM   #25
Menneisyys2
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redjericho View Post
PowerPlayer can play 1080p mkv's flawlessly.

It is less than good for any other format, but it was built from the ground up for mkv. (From the makers of GoodPlayer)

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/power...520818788?mt=8

( 1080p only supported on iPhone 4S, iPad 2/3)
Well, while I love GoodPlayer (in my recent ASF test, it was the test winner, just to bring up an example), currently (as of version 1.7) I do NOT recommend PowerPlayer for MKV playback. Unfortunately, it's still one of the least effective players out there - all the alternative hardware players deliver much better results.

I've posted several comparisons and articles (and prolly even comparative videos to YouTube? Dunno) on this matter - it's worth checking out my prev. posts here.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad