Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pflau

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 17, 2007
Many people are used to looking at monitor screens that are way too blue. And thus when they look at a white screen they think it is yellow. This is not my opinion, this is a fact. A vast majority of the monitors sold now-a-day are calibrated to a color temperature that is close to 9300K, which is way way too blue. A neutral color temperature, one that is neither too blue or too yellow, is 6500K. This is the standard color temperature for photographic work. Even high end monitors can have a very bluish color cast, reason being that if you are so particular about having a neutral color screen, you would spend the money on a colorimeter (Spyder, Eye-One, etc.) to calibrator the screen.

The reason commercial monitors are calibrated to display a blue tint is that blue stands out more in the show room. If two monitors are placed side-by-side, most people would prefer the one that is more bluish. If you go into a store and play with the expensive monitors, you would find that most have setting for color temperature, and inevitably they are all set to 9300K and not 6500K.

Before you judge a screen that is too yellow, you might want to compare the screen to a calibrated monitor. Before you judge a screen that is "white", compare to a calibrated monitor to see if it is in fact too blue.

From my experience Apples does not play that 9300K games with their displays. All Apple screens are close to 6500K because Apple products are used by many graphics artists.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Many people are used to looking at monitor screens that are way too blue. And thus when they look at a white screen they think it is yellow. This is not my opinion, this is a fact. A vast majority of the monitors sold now-a-day are calibrated to a color temperature that is close to 9300K, which is way way too blue. A neutral color temperature, one that is neither too blue or too yellow, is 6500K. This is the standard color temperature for photographic work. Even high end monitors can have a very bluish color cast, reason being that if you are so particular about having a neutral color screen, you would spend the money on a colorimeter (Spyder, Eye-One, etc.) to calibrator the screen.

The reason commercial monitors are calibrated to display a blue tint is that blue stands out more in the show room. If two monitors are placed side-by-side, most people would prefer the one that is more bluish. If you go into a store and play with the expensive monitors, you would find that most have setting for color temperature, and inevitably they are all set to 9300K and not 6500K.

Before you judge a screen that is too yellow, you might want to compare the screen to a calibrated monitor. Before you judge a screen that is "white", compare to a calibrated monitor to see if it is in fact too blue.

From my experience Apples does not play that 9300K games with their displays. All Apple screens are close to 6500K because Apple products are used by many graphics artists.

How about comparing the white on screen with the white surround right next to the screen on a white iPad ?
I guess apple has made this wide white surround a pretty true white?

pflau

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 17, 2007
How about comparing the white on screen with the white surround right next to the screen on a white iPad ?
I guess apple has made this wide white surround a pretty true white?

If the white surround is indeed true white, you still need to see it under 6500K lighting condition, which is noon daylight on an overcast day. That would make it a good comparison, if it is indeed true white.

Or better yet, try go to a photographic supply store and get a white color chart used by studio to calibrate cameras and monitors. And look at it under 6500K light.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.