Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JasonR

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 11, 2008
I'm having some really strange issues with my home network. Here's my setup:

Comcast/Xfinity Cable Modem (I'm supposed to get about 28-30 mpbs down), Airport Extreme Router (about 3-4 years old), currently one Mac Mini using Wifi, Xbox 360 via ethernet, and two iPhones.

Here's the really strange thing. Right now I'm pulling down 24.45mpbs and 3.50 mpbs up on Mac Mini (through wifi). I'm on my iPhone 4S, using the same connection (duh), I'm pulling down .30 mpbs down and .12 mpbs up. W-T-F?? My iPhone 4S and girlfriend's iPhone 4 work just fine on wifi everywhere else. I had my Airport Extreme running at my old house JUST FINE.

I originally thought it was the Comcast Router, but now I'm thinking it might be the airport.

The only thing I changed is I have a regular and guest network, both with WPA encryption.

Any help would be appreciated....

JasonR

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 11, 2008
One more thing...my internet seems to see some DRAMATIC slow down with all devices on occasion. No clue what's causing it. Called Comcast and they gave me the corporate run-a-round. My internet was having issues when I called, and then it was FINE after I waited 10 minutes on hold.

Edit: Now I'm seeing 20 mbps down on my Mac Mini, but only 2.01 mbps on my iPhone (.11mbps up). What the hell is going on.

Maybe I should try out DSL and see if that resolves the problem. Dammit.

rskolin

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2012
I'm having some really strange issues with my home network. Here's my setup:

Comcast/Xfinity Cable Modem (I'm supposed to get about 28-30 mpbs down), Airport Extreme Router (about 3-4 years old), currently one Mac Mini using Wifi, Xbox 360 via ethernet, and two iPhones.

Here's the really strange thing. Right now I'm pulling down 24.45mpbs and 3.50 mpbs up on Mac Mini (through wifi). I'm on my iPhone 4S, using the same connection (duh), I'm pulling down .30 mpbs down and .12 mpbs up. W-T-F?? My iPhone 4S and girlfriend's iPhone 4 work just fine on wifi everywhere else. I had my Airport Extreme running at my old house JUST FINE.

I originally thought it was the Comcast Router, but now I'm thinking it might be the airport.

The only thing I changed is I have a regular and guest network, both with WPA encryption.

Any help would be appreciated....

How old is your cable modem? It may need to be replaced. According to Cox, their useful life is about 5 - 7 years.

I had the same thing happen. I have Cox Internet and after some diagnostics, had a repairman come out. I thought it was my Motorola 2.0 router, which was 7 years old. He told me that my Airport Extreme needed replacement. Anyway, after he left, my internet kept going in and out. I called Cox back and they told me I should replace the router. I replaced it with a Cisco 3.0 modem and things work fine now. I still cannot use my Extreme to power my external hard drive though, so I'm wondering if it is, indeed, time to replace that four year old device.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.