Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

moore2772

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 11, 2011
Though not available all the time, Apple sells the 32 gig wifi iPad2 refurbished for $399, fully $200 cheaper than a new 3rd gen iPad of the same capacity. According to Apple, refubs have new screens and backs, the new battery, and full warrantee. The biggest advantage I can see with the newer iPad is the retina display. But is that worth enough to justify an amount equal to the price of a new iPhone 5 later this year? I find the difference in the screen to be fairly subtle for someone with mediocre eyesight, and the iPad 2 is no slouch as far as performance. I'd rather have the latest and greatest; but I can't get past the difference in price vs. the refurb. back a generation. What do you think?

toondw

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2009
Northumberland, UK
Though not available all the time, Apple sells the 32 gig wifi iPad2 refurbished for $399, fully $200 cheaper than a new 3rd gen iPad of the same capacity. According to Apple, refubs have new screens and backs, the new battery, and full warrantee. The biggest advantage I can see with the newer iPad is the retina display. But is that worth enough to justify an amount equal to the price of a new iPhone 5 later this year? I find the difference in the screen to be fairly subtle for someone with mediocre eyesight, and the iPad 2 is no slouch as far as performance. I'd rather have the latest and greatest; but I can't get past the difference in price vs. the refurb. back a generation. What do you think?

I think you know what you want really...........but if you need somebody to say it I will. Ipad 2. ;)

RobesNo1

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2009
iPad 2 is still a great device. What I will say after using the 3rd gen for a while trying to look at an iPad 2 screen is like looking at it through a sieve, but if it's what you're used to it's still a great screen.

If the $200 is a big thing to you then I wouldn't see a problem with getting the iPad 2 it's life cycle is likely to be as long as the 3rd gen anyway.

Fattytail

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2012
I think you know what you want really...........but if you need somebody to say it I will. Ipad 2. ;)

Haha, actually, I think what OP WANTS is the new iPad, but he wants us to convince him that the iPad 2 is the right choice.

Well, OP, I'm not going to do that. Just get the new iPad. The screen IS that much better, particularly if you use it to read long documents or ebooks. I love my iPad 2 (which is also a refurbished model and works flawlessly), but it's been handed down to my wife. The screen looks incredibly pixelated to me now - I've been ruined by the retina display.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
OP, if the new screen doesn't excite you or you are ambivalent then go with the iPad 2. The iPad 2 and 3 perform in a similar way and are pretty close in performance. There's nothing wrong with the iPad 2.

If you decide on the iPad 2 get a refurb, you can save a lot of money and still get a 1 year warranty from Apple.

Geekbabe

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2011

The iPad 2 is still a very capable device, worthy of your strong consideration. But.. as a person who also has less than perfect vision I have to say that the iPad 3 really shines due to the clarity and crispness of text! I can use this thing for hours and not have eye strain. That feature, combined with the excellent voice dictation makes the extra cost well worth it IMHO.

chokem

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2012
Searcy, AR
I came from an iPad 1 when I bought my new one. I considered the iP 2, but being a tech freak wanted the latest greatest. So I coughed up the extra bucks, and am glad I did. These things hold their value pretty well.

HiddenPuppy

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2011
I came from the 1 to a refurb 2 and am not sorry at all that I did it, saved me big bucks and does what I want to do. In the end, the question you must answer is what is most important "save $200 or have a better screen"

HiddenPuppy

Wrathwitch

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2009
$200.00 is the price difference for having tech with:

1) a better screen (it really is a beautiful screen).

2) more longevity when it comes to OS update support and compatibility.

The End.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007

The End.

Aren't the CPU's the same? And the GPU was only beefed up to support the Retina display other than that both the ipad 2 and 3 perform the same and should coexist when Apple rolls out future OS updates.

number84

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2011
Aren't the CPU's the same? And the GPU was only beefed up to support the Retina display other than that both the ipad 2 and 3 perform the same and should coexist when Apple rolls out future OS updates.

+1. I think OS support will be the same with the 2 or 3. So, really it's only the better screen you're getting. $200 is a significant difference. I'd go with the iPad 2. I'm actually considering picking up a 2 for my son...but haven't decided if it's truly necessary to have 2 iPads in the house.

Wrathwitch

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2009

Yours is not an invalid statement but ideally I suspect that any GPU related apps will be tailored towards the newest tech with a bit of reach back for remaining iPads. Any games that are new and developed will mostly be moving onwards and upwards not backwards.

Also, just for argument's purpose the device (theoretically) should last a year longer as it is newer.

Lindenhurst

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2011
OP, if the new screen doesn't excite you or you are ambivalent then go with the iPad 2. The iPad 2 and 3 perform in a similar way and are pretty close in performance. There's nothing wrong with the iPad 2.

If you decide on the iPad 2 get a refurb, you can save a lot of money and still get a 1 year warranty from Apple.

Yep..$314 for a brand new Apple refurb! I have bought many refurb devices and have always been satisfied.
I'll rephrase that.....I have bought many "Apple" refurb devices.

Many other manufacturers do not offer full warranty on their refurb as Apple does.

----------

1) a better screen (it really is a beautiful screen).

The End.

But is the price difference in 1 year when you are reselling it still $200?

Probably not. The newest latest tech gadget is hardly ever the best investment. With that said...if you want the latest..buy it.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
Where did you hear this?

Well the general consensus is that the current iPad would be 1 year ahead in longevity. That was true from the iPad to iPad 2 but I don't see that being the case with the iPad 2 and iPad 3 because both have close to equal performance or it's so close it doesn't matter.

The CPU is the same and the GPU is a beefed up version of the one used in the iPad 2. As far as developers moving onward and upwards again i'll disagree with that as well because the iPad an iPad 2 have two many devices still out in the wild to ignore so developers would be unwise to neglect them.

In 2-3 years then yeah an iPad 2 probably will be left behind but it still has awhile to go.

chickenwingfly

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2012
One word. RETINA.

So, yes.

If you can live without Retina, then the iPad 2 stands as a solid choice.

But in the end unless you really really really crave for those $200, then down the road getting what's already out and improved seems to be a better choice.

Wrathwitch

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2009
Where did you hear this?

Well the general consensus is that the current iPad would be 1 year ahead in longevity. That was true from the iPad to iPad 2 but I don't see that being the case with the iPad 2 and iPad 3 because both have close to equal performance or it's so close it doesn't matter.

The CPU is the same and the GPU is a beefed up version of the one used in the iPad 2. As far as developers moving onward and upwards again i'll disagree with that as well because the iPad an iPad 2 have two many devices still out in the wild to ignore so developers would be unwise to neglect them.

In 2-3 years then yeah an iPad 2 probably will be left behind but it still has awhile to go.

^What He said. It's not a matter of hearing it, but applying logic to the situation.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
What do you think?
Subjective matter -- just as worth is on any topic. Decide based on your needs/wants. Polling others won't tell you if it's worth it to you or not. Sounds to me like you just need to sort out your priorities. What's most important to you?

It's not a matter of hearing it, but applying logic to the situation.
That's really more of an educated guess/extrapolation than logic.

Altimax98

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2012
Lakeland Fl

The End.

Your 100% right IMO. Everyone forgets that the new iPad has DOUBLE the ram. Yes the CPU/GPU situation is negotiable but not the RAM. I don't know about you but on all my computers and electronic devices the lack of ram hurts way sooner then anything else. You can have a equally powered CPU/GPU but if the RAM bottlenecks you'll have memory issues all over the place. If apple gets wise they will start to (like they already have) institute more and more background running tasks, "widgets" (I use the term loosely) and just a heavier OS all over IMO. That will impact future updates for sure, they may support it (iPad2) but it will be a watered down version.

Honestly if you want a solid device and 32GB is a must then get a 2, save the money and put it into stocks. When the new iPad comes out you might be able to afford it and have 2 iPads :) (just don't invest in Facebook stock Lol)

FWIW - I have a 3 and am usually coasting at around 300-500 open MB of ram......

migdaddy

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2012
I got myself a refurbished iPad 2 16 gb for $350 shipped after taxes. I personally wish I got the 3 and spent the extra $150 just for the screen.

----------

Wirelessly posted

Once I got my 4S I never wanted to look at my iPad 1 again.

That's how Im feeling about the iPad 2. Screen is far superior on the 4S.

iEvolution

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
I don't think it is.

Now don't get me wrong the screen is superior compared to the iPad 2, however cost for cost I think the iPad 2 is a better buy because it can do anything the iPad 3 can do (outside of retina-optimized programs but even then the retina optimized programs run fine on the iPad 2).

The one thing you should consider though is future software upgrades, Apple is known to cut certain features to older devices with software updates. For instance, Siri is rumored to be 3rd gen only.

I bought a 64GB Wifi iPad 3 and while I love it, for my uses it wasn't really worth the $200 extra. Once you get used to the Retina display its definitely hard to go back, I even have a hard time using my Xoom now and it has a larger screen and a higher resolution than the iPad 2.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
I couldn't tell the difference between the two screens. I didn't have them side by side, but I thought it would've jumped out at me immediately based on the rave reviews but no, I couldn't see any difference when I saw the 3.

I probably wouldn't get one over the 2.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.