Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Games

Old Nov 3, 2002, 09:36 PM   #1
iJon
macrumors 604

Vice City to Mac

I just wanted to get everyone's opinion on this. Why haven't Aspyr or MacSoft or any company try to make a port of Grand Theft Auto 3 and Vice City. I think these would sell very much. I know I would buy them instantly. I dont know if any of you have played GTA3 on the computer yet but it is so much better than PS2. They had to knock down the graphics way down for the ps2. Just wanted to post a thread like this because my friend and i were talking about how cool it would be if it did come to mac.

iJon
iJon is offline   0
Old Nov 4, 2002, 06:17 AM   #2
ArtMan617
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to ArtMan617
I'm sure they would sell, but with Sony's deal to keep the GTA series exclusive to the PS2 for at least another year (I forget when it was until), I don't think even Vice City is coming to the PC (if it does, it won't be for a loonnngg time) as Rockstar stated that they don't currently have any plans for a PC version...personally, if you don't have a PS2 already and are an avid gamer (console or otherwise) I would highly recommend picking one up...BestBuy.com has Vice City for $40 right now as a special deal and you could find a used PS2 for somewhere between $150 and $180 depending on the condition...

-ArtMan617
Old Nov 4, 2002, 01:04 PM   #3
FattyMembrane
macrumors 6502a

about the only thing that would make me buy a new machine right now is if GTA3 was released for the mac. i'm assuming that the porting houses don't see it as worth the time and effort, but it's their loss.
FattyMembrane is offline   0
Old Nov 4, 2002, 03:22 PM   #4
job
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally posted by ArtMan617
I'm sure they would sell, but with Sony's deal to keep the GTA series exclusive to the PS2 for at least another year (I forget when it was until), I don't think even Vice City is coming to the PC (if it does, it won't be for a loonnngg time) as Rockstar stated that they don't currently have any plans for a PC version
Ehm...GTA3 is out for the PC.

So I fail to see how Sony has a deal to keep the GTA series as a PS exclusive.
job is offline   0
Old Nov 4, 2002, 04:25 PM   #5
drastik
macrumors 6502a

The Sony Deal is new, only for Vice City and the legendary GTA 4 (can you say networked gang warfare?) My guess is, the deal is mainly a push to sell PS2 for christmass, it is the biggest game season right now, and a killer game like Vice City is just the way to convert heads. The deal is also a secondary middle finger to Microsoft, a clear message from a top game maker to get out of the console business.

Of course, Xbox blows anyway, even if SOny made it, but that's another thread.

I fully encourage everyone of age to buy Vice City, its ten times as good as GTA3, and GTA4 should be fantastic.

Good Touch Software - Bespoke iPhone Applications
drastik is offline   0
Old Nov 4, 2002, 04:28 PM   #6
ArtMan617
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to ArtMan617
As far as I know, GTA3 was being coded for PC before the deal was struck with Sony and Rockstar, so it was an exception...the other exception was to be a GBA version of GTA3, which I believe was cancelled (go figure). Anywho, I'd love to see a version of Vice City for the PC (although I probably wouldn't buy it already having the PS2 version), but I don't think it'll happen for awhile...

-ArtMan617

UPDATE: Sorry about the re-iteration of what was said in the post above mine...I was tying it when it was being posted, so I wasn't aware of it...

Last edited by ArtMan617; Nov 4, 2002 at 04:31 PM.
ArtMan617 is offline   0
Old Nov 4, 2002, 04:58 PM   #7
me hate windows
macrumors 6502

I emailed Aspyr and they wanted to port GTA3, but Rockstar had no interest in making it available for the Mac
Old Nov 4, 2002, 05:06 PM   #8
MisterBlack
macrumors member

I would buy GTA3 for mac if i could. I'm getting a PC so i can play that and Tribes/Tribes2. This is unfortunately still, in my opinion, Apple's weakest point. Maybe if more game developers made mac games, macs might get speedbumps as big and as often as their pc counterparts.

Just wishing..

At least we still have ID.
MisterBlack is offline   0
Old Nov 5, 2002, 10:04 AM   #9
MacBandit
macrumors 604

Send a message via AIM to MacBandit
Quote:
Originally posted by MisterBlack
I would buy GTA3 for mac if i could. I'm getting a PC so i can play that and Tribes/Tribes2. This is unfortunately still, in my opinion, Apple's weakest point. Maybe if more game developers made mac games, macs might get speedbumps as big and as often as their pc counterparts.

Just wishing..

At least we still have ID.
If you are dissapointed in gaming for the Mac buy a PS2 or other game console. PCs and Macs can not compete with the quantity of games out for the console. As soon as they get network gaming up full swing for consoles PC gaming will die.
MacBandit is offline   0
Old Nov 5, 2002, 10:35 AM   #10
drastik
macrumors 6502a

Definite on the near death of PC games. Untill you can give me a montior as big and crisp as my 40 in flatscreen Wega, I'll go back to computer gaming, but real 5.1 on good speakers and a game screen that is four times the size, I'll stick to consoles.

Lets be honest, most PC games are slow and boring, the keyboard/mouse set up is not good for fast paced games, and the USb controllers are cheap knock-offs of the console systems

Good Touch Software - Bespoke iPhone Applications

Last edited by drastik; Nov 5, 2002 at 10:44 AM.
drastik is offline   0
Old Nov 5, 2002, 10:50 AM   #11
MacBandit
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally posted by drastik
Definite on the near death of PC games. Untill you can give me a montior as big and crisp as my 40 in flatscreen Wega, I'll go back to computer gaming, but real 5.1 on good speakers and a game screen that is four times the size, I'll stick to consoles.

Lets be honest, most PC games are slow and boring, the keyboard/mouse set up is not good for fast paced games, and the USb controllers are cheap knock-offs of the console systems
Well High Def games are right around the corner. I don't buy the controller gripe though. I personally find the keyboard and mouse to be much better in FPS and am thinking about doing this set up with the PS2. It is nice to have my games piped through my THX sound system though. I play my games on my 32" Wega it makes a nice gaming monitor. Wish I had the space for a 40".
MacBandit is offline   0
Old Nov 5, 2002, 11:51 AM   #12
MisterBlack
macrumors member

Hello?

TRIBES.

There is nothing that can even compete with tribes. No consoles come close, not on any tv.
Old Nov 5, 2002, 03:08 PM   #13
iJon
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally posted by drastik

What the hell are you talking about. Do you understand how much crappier graphics are on a console. Games on a pc are only slow if you have a half ass computer. I would choose my pc for games over a console. Plus you can easily hook up a computer to a tv. I think alot of people may feel this way because they try to play games on their mac and games on macs suck completly. I love my mac to death but when it comes to games you cant beat a pc. Get a high end pc, geforce 4 or 9700, audigy 2 and some 6.1 surround speakers and you have yourself a killer machine which is way better than a console. the only reason i like my console is for the games that come for it and not on the pc.

iJon
iJon is offline   0
Old Nov 5, 2002, 04:42 PM   #14
job
macrumors 68040

I'd much rather play Quake with a keyboard and mouse than a crappy PS2 controller.
job is offline   0
Old Nov 5, 2002, 06:36 PM   #15
MisterBlack
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally posted by iJon

What the hell are you talking about. Do you understand how much crappier graphics are on a console. Games on a pc are only slow if you have a half ass computer.
Yes.

Also, consoles have no command line.
Old Nov 6, 2002, 12:16 AM   #16
MacBandit
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally posted by MisterBlack

Yes.

Also, consoles have no command line.

Wrong. PS2 even has linux.
MacBandit is offline   0
Old Nov 6, 2002, 12:19 AM   #17
MacBandit
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally posted by hitman
I'd much rather play Quake with a keyboard and mouse than a crappy PS2 controller.

I agree that is one of the few games I do not play on the PS2. Overall though I play way more games on the PS2 then I do on any computer. Why? There's just a lot more good games available for the PS2 or any console. Also at $200 for a console or $2000+ for a good PC gaming machine I choose the console.

To people who say plain and simply that games on Macs suck completely you need to just get you head out of your ass.
MacBandit is offline   0
Old Nov 6, 2002, 04:26 PM   #18
job
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally posted by MacBandit
Also at $200 for a console or $2000+ for a good PC gaming machine I choose the console.
True, but you do get what you pay for.

On a 2 grand PC you can mod games.
You can make your own maps/figures/etc.

I have yet to see one mod that has been developed entirely on a console.

Look at games like Neverwinter Nights and Morrowind and tell me one game on any console that compares.

Yes, a console may be cheaper, but in terms of development and modding, the console just plain sucks.

But then again, the console platform was never developed with anything but gaming in mind.

And besides, for $2000, you'll have the fastest PC in the county....for a few weeks...
job is offline   0
Old Nov 6, 2002, 04:46 PM   #19
Tom Magnum
macrumors newbie

Quote:

Look at games like Neverwinter Nights and Morrowind and tell me one game on any console that compares.

Yes, a console may be cheaper, but in terms of development and modding, the console just plain sucks.

But then again, the console platform was never developed with anything but gaming in mind.

And besides, for $2000, you'll have the fastest PC in the county....for a few weeks...

Has anyone seen Final Fantasy X? That game is absolutely beautiful.
Tom Magnum is offline   0
Old Nov 6, 2002, 05:01 PM   #20
springscansing
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by FattyMembrane
about the only thing that would make me buy a new machine right now is if GTA3 was released for the mac. i'm assuming that the porting houses don't see it as worth the time and effort, but it's their loss.
That's sad reason to buy a machine.. plus they can't legal port it genius.
springscansing is offline   0
Old Nov 6, 2002, 05:34 PM   #21
iJon
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally posted by MacBandit

I agree that is one of the few games I do not play on the PS2. Overall though I play way more games on the PS2 then I do on any computer. Why? There's just a lot more good games available for the PS2 or any console. Also at $200 for a console or $2000+ for a good PC gaming machine I choose the console.

To people who say plain and simply that games on Macs suck completely you need to just get you head out of your ass.
I love my mac to death but games is not what these machines are meant for. Mac is my favorite computer, i mean come on my parents own an apple store i will take it over soon. but pcs are just better for games. same reason why i dont do my photoshop and video editing on my pc, they arent good at it. sure my pc can do it but why when i have a powermac right next to me. if you look at the new mac addict they talk about the latest and greatest games are out for mac but that is just a few. You jsut have such a vast selection of games for the pc. the only games that are good for the mac are the ones that are designed to run on it, not the ported ones. like warcraft 3 runs like a champ on my dual ghz, but medal of honor allied assult looks like crap. you jsut have to admit with 6.1 surround sound and speakers and games designed for it you jsut cant beat it. same reason a dual g4 with altivec can beat a amd or intel in photoshop. but im tired of the arguement. these are all jsut my opinions. from a point of view like me who is very experienced with macs and pcs and is around and using all the latest and greatest i fell pcs hold the edge in games by a long shot. btu nothing will ever take me away from my mac.

iJon

Last edited by iJon; Nov 9, 2002 at 11:41 PM.
iJon is offline   0
Old Nov 6, 2002, 05:56 PM   #22
FattyMembrane
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally posted by springscansing
That's sad reason to buy a machine.. plus they can't legal port it genius.
what? companies can't just port copyrighted games because they feel like it? i had no idea how the laws worked. thanks for the info, genius.
Quote:
Origionally posted by MacBandit
games made specifically for the mac are quite good, the problem arises from the fact that most top sellers come out for pc only and are then ported to the mac about 2-3 years later (luckily the time seems to be dropping), but even then the ports run like crap because they are poorly translated (the new release of incoming is about 4 years old and requires a radeon or geforce to run decently!). NOLF2 has been out for a while on pc and costs $15 less than what NOLF1 will cost when it eventually comes to mac, Everquest should be here in a few months, Unreal 2 by 2016, etc. the problem is with the gamehouses, not the computer, but you can't blame them for doing what's economically viable.
FattyMembrane is offline   0
Old Nov 6, 2002, 07:09 PM   #23
MacBandit
macrumors 604

Quote:

Timesplitters lets you build your own maps. Also the PS2 is pretty close to becoming fully modable. That's because Sony has released Linux for PS2 add in the hard drive and the network card and you have a computer.
MacBandit is offline   0
Old Nov 6, 2002, 07:11 PM   #24
MacBandit
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally posted by iJon

I love my mac to death but games is not what these machines are meant for. Mac is my favorite computer, i mean come on my parents own an apple store i will take it over soon. but pcs are just better for games. same reason why i dont do my photoshop and video editing on my pc, they arent good at it. sure my pc can do it but why when i have a powermac right next to me. if you look at the new mac addict they talk about the latest and greatest games are out for mac but that is just a few. You jsut have such a vast selection of games for the pc. the only games that are good for the mac are the ones that are designed to run on it, not the ported ones. like warcraft 3 runs like a champ on my dual ghz, but medal of honor allied assult looks like crap. you jsut have to admit with 6.1 surround sound and speakers and games designed for it you jsut cant beat it. same reason a dual g4 with altivec cant beat a amd or intel in photoshop. but im tired of the arguement. these are all jsut my opinions. from a point of view like me who is very experienced with macs and pcs and is around and using all the latest and greatest i fell pcs hold the edge in games by a long shot. btu nothing will ever take me away from my mac.

iJon
Once again all I have to say is PS2 $200 dolby digital out and way more GOOD games then you can shake a stick at.
MacBandit is offline   0
Old Nov 6, 2002, 07:14 PM   #25
MacBandit
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally posted by FattyMembrane

what? companies can't just port copyrighted games because they feel like it? i had no idea how the laws worked. thanks for the info, genius.

games made specifically for the mac are quite good, the problem arises from the fact that most top sellers come out for pc only and are then ported to the mac about 2-3 years later (luckily the time seems to be dropping), but even then the ports run like crap because they are poorly translated (the new release of incoming is about 4 years old and requires a radeon or geforce to run decently!). NOLF2 has been out for a while on pc and costs $15 less than what NOLF1 will cost when it eventually comes to mac, Everquest should be here in a few months, Unreal 2 by 2016, etc. the problem is with the gamehouses, not the computer, but you can't blame them for doing what's economically viable.
Unreal 2003 for the Mac is being developed in house and will be out by December. I'm not saying that there isn't a real lack of good games on the Mac. I'm just saying you can't use a blanket statement like. Macs suck at games. It's not that they suck at games it's that a lot of games are poorly developed. It's not the computer it's the software.
MacBandit is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Games