Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Jul 15, 2005, 09:37 PM   #1
PaRaGoNViCtiM
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to PaRaGoNViCtiM
Hard Drive and Powerbook Question!

I just bought a 200GB Maxtor External HD today. Prior to this I only had 1.62GB free on my PB. Now, I'm new to Macs so bare with me...
I went into my PB's applications folder, and dropped everything I want on my external in the corresponding spot, I then erased the applications from my PB's HD. However, when I restarted my PB, my PB HD still said I only have 1.62GB free? Am I doing something wrong? They were big applications too, i.e., Final Cut Pro, DVD Studio Pro, etc. I'm currently moving all my music onto the Maxtor i.e., 4000 songs. Can someone help!!! Wait, another thing..the applications I moved onto the Maxtor are only applications I will use while at my desk, so should I delete them from my dock?
16GB 3Gs iPhone (Black).
PaRaGoNViCtiM is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2005, 10:13 PM   #2
Mechcozmo
macrumors 603

Your applications may not update correctly now, BTW.

And FCP is small... the support files are large.
You can scroll down now.
Mechcozmo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2005, 10:14 PM   #3
Linkjeniero
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaRaGoNViCtiM
I just bought a 200GB Maxtor External HD today. Prior to this I only had 1.62GB free on my PB. Now, I'm new to Macs so bare with me...
I went into my PB's applications folder, and dropped everything I want on my external in the corresponding spot, I then erased the applications from my PB's HD. However, when I restarted my PB, my PB HD still said I only have 1.62GB free? Am I doing something wrong? They were big applications too, i.e., Final Cut Pro, DVD Studio Pro, etc. I'm currently moving all my music onto the Maxtor i.e., 4000 songs. Can someone help!!! Wait, another thing..the applications I moved onto the Maxtor are only applications I will use while at my desk, so should I delete them from my dock?
Did you empty the trash? If you didn't, then the apps weren't really deleted... do it and see if you gain some disk space (but remember you won't be able to use those apps except when you have the disk plugged). Also, as you changed the apps locations, remove them from the dock and add them again from their new location (if you wish to).
About the songs: if you are going to be using iTunes, remember to change the preferences so iTunes doesn't automatically sort your songs, or copy them to its folder.
Linkjeniero is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2005, 10:15 PM   #4
PaRaGoNViCtiM
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to PaRaGoNViCtiM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechcozmo
Your applications may not update correctly now, BTW.

And FCP is small... the support files are large.
Can you explain to me the way I'm supposed to do this. My main concern is to free up space on my PB HD.
What is this about iTunes???
16GB 3Gs iPhone (Black).

Last edited by PaRaGoNViCtiM; Jul 15, 2005 at 10:19 PM.
PaRaGoNViCtiM is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2005, 10:36 PM   #5
Linkjeniero
macrumors 6502

Probably you don't need to get apps out of the PB, because they are not very large when compared to the size of the disk (you case might be special though). The best thing to do is to move out large files (the music is a good example, also photos if you've got too many, and videos).
Linkjeniero is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs