Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

harryhood

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 15, 2006
I've been looking around for the best, most minimal solution for using an iPAD as the car stereo..not finding anything that tickles my fancy.

Any recommendations?

I don't want crappy dash mounts or wires everywhere - I like the solutions that replace your stereo or mount directly INTO your dash, super clean and minimal.

I liked this Scosch iPAD Dash Kit but I guess it never got made do to legal reasons..Either way I would much rather prefer a 100% mounted solution, directly in the dash like pictured below.

Something like that, thats an all in one solution or directly mounted like this is what I'm after:

197723_10150108975277691_144175392690_6979163_566472_n.jpg

See here too for another example.

Last edited:

Altimax98

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2012
Lakeland Fl
Someone did it with a Scion TC and a Nook color. It worked good and looked clean. But I would do 2 things:

1: Make it removable, otherwise it's a thief magnet
2: Use a Bluetooth enabled head unit it on the car as opposed to a specialized dock. Some head units come enabled with bluetooth support already so you can use it to output sound, and if something ever happens to the iPad you still have a stereo.

harryhood

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 15, 2006
For sure. But where can I get the proper mounts to have it install properly? I can't find anything like what is picture above, only arm mounts that look like crap IMO.

07dodge

macrumors member
May 31, 2012
All of those integrated systems are custom made enclosures, i.e. lots of fiberglass and filler to smooth it out, then painted or covered. There are no (to my knowledge) "kits", it's all custom.

I'm getting ready to do one in my 07 Dodge Ram 3500; I'll have it motorized so it's removable, and will likely tie it in with the factory headunit somehow. Basically a giant iPod:cool:

arduinocar

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2013
This looks kind of like an old post, but I wanted to share my project! I'm trying to develope and open source vehicle control system platform for total vehicle control from an iOS or Droid device.

In order to make it open source I need crowd funding! Please check us out at arduinocar.com Facebook.com/arduinocar img.me/at/arduinocar

I appreciate any likes or comments we can get, if you can contribute that would be awesome too!

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
Will not work down here in the south. 9 months out of the year your iPad will flash the temperature warning.

carlgo

macrumors 68000
Dec 29, 2006
Monterey CA
I would suggest a top of the line rigid mount and forget the built-in idea unless you have either a whole lot of skill or more money than this would be worth to hide a couple of wires.

You might check out the in-dash replacement units available from places like Crutchfield. You would get a very good stereo and GPS and some of them work very will with iPhones, will show the art, etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.