Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Trance

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 27, 2011
My laptop is connected through an enternet cord because i'm to far from the router to use the wifi.
(I stay 35ft from the router, passed a 40 ft enternet cable to my place)

is there someway for me to use my laptops internet to wirelessly connect my iPad to the internet?

also what would I need to have wifi in my place with an enternet cord? another router?

nostresshere

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2010
My laptop is connected through an enternet cord because i'm to far from the router to use the wifi.
(I stay 35ft from the router, passed a 40 ft enternet cable to my place)

is there someway for me to use my laptops internet to wirelessly connect my iPad to the internet?

also what would I need to have wifi in my place with an enternet cord? another router?

I have seen something about setting up the laptop as an airport or something like that. Never had any luck.

But, you can add a wireless hub to the end of that 40 ft ethernet cable and both the laptop, the ipad and even iphones can connect to it. They cost $50 more or less. And any guests can connect to your new wireless network.

Sylon

macrumors 68020
Feb 26, 2012
Michigan/Ohio, USA
Is your laptop a Macbook (Pro/Air)? If so, you can go into your Settings, Sharing, then create a wifi network, sharing the connection you get from your ethernet cable over wifi. Macbook Pros (I don't know about the Airs, but I think so) have a built-in Airport Extreme inside. I used it with my MBP and it works pretty good. You have to re-extablish the connection whenever you close the laptop. That part can get annoying.

If your laptop is a Windows laptop, then you can try the Apple Airport Express instead. Connect the Aiport Express to your ethernet cable, then use that as a router and project its wifi signal to your laptop and iPad. I have one of those as well and its awesome.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.