Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Jun 7, 2012, 05:48 AM   #1
camera
macrumors newbie

Problem sending mail via Mac Mail (Mac OS X, version 10.5.8)

Hi

I keep getting the message "Cannot send message using the server Gmail" when attempting to email via Mail (Mac OS X, version 10.5.8).

However, when I use the connection doctor, it states that "connection to server and login succeeded".

I am able to receive emails and send them to myself too. Very frustrating!

Any ideas?

Thanks

Mark
camera is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2012, 06:48 AM   #2
SpetsnaZ99
macrumors member

Have you tried logging onto your G-Mail account via web browser?
SpetsnaZ99 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2012, 09:40 AM   #3
camera
macrumors newbie

Problems with Mac Mail

Yep, I can access it this way. But for various reasons, it would be good to be able to use Mail. Really strange as this was not a problem on our previous machine :0(
camera is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2012, 03:15 PM   #4
BrianBaughn
macrumors 68020

1. Temporarily create a new user account on the Mac and try from that. If that works you have Mac account issues.

2. Temporarily create a new account at Gmail and try using in Mail from the original Mac account. If that works something is probably weird with the Gmail account.

I have seen iCal in Leopard completely refuse to sync with a specific Google account's calendar. A new account worked just fine. Also, the account worked fine in Snow Leopard. Your mail may be doing the same sort of thing.
BrianBaughn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2012, 03:58 AM   #5
SpetsnaZ99
macrumors member

What i found recently was that certain mail providers such as Hotmail and Gmail don't like the user accessing and retrieving mail via an app because this means that you aren't viewing 'The Adverts' on the page. Get the idea . If you haven't visited the site within a certain number of days they will block the account. At the moment Hotmail have blocked my account and are asking me for my Mobile number in order for them to send me an unlock code, (no chance...).

My advice, get an email address from your ISP and use that.
SpetsnaZ99 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help