Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

In line with rumors from earlier this week, Virgin Mobile USA today announced that it will begin offering the iPhone on June 29. Virgin Mobile USA is a prepaid brand operated by Sprint.

virgin_mobile_iphone_coming_soon.jpg

Notably, Virgin Mobile will be offering service plans for as low as $30 per month with no commitment when customers sign up for automatic payments.
Virgin Mobile's Beyond Talk unlimited data and messaging plans for iPhone start at $35 per month for access to Sprint's Nationwide Network, and customers can receive a $5 per-month plan discount when they register for automatic monthly payments with a credit card, debit card or PayPal account, making iPhone available for as low as $30 per month. Customers can also use their iPhone as a mobile hotspot through Virgin Mobile for an additional $15 per month.
Unlike Cricket, which announced last week that it will begin offering the iPhone on a prepaid basis on June 22, Virgin is not offering any subsidy on iPhone hardware, with the 8 GB iPhone 4 being priced at $549 and the 16 GB iPhone 4S coming in a $649.

Cricket is offering the iPhone for $150 less, but its service plan consists solely of a $55/month offering with unlimited talk, text, and data. With Virgin Mobile offering plans for as low as $30, low-use customers can make up that hardware price differential in six months of service.

All three of Virgin Mobile's plans include unlimited texting and data (throttled after 2.5 GB), with voice minutes being the differentiating factor. With the $5 discount for automatic payments, Virgin Mobile's plans are priced at $30 (300 minutes), $40 (1200 minutes), and $50 (unlimited minutes).

Virgin Mobile will offer the iPhone through its website and at RadioShack, Best Buy, and other select retailers.

Article Link: Virgin Mobile USA Launching iPhone on June 29 with Plans Starting at $30

actripxl

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2002
Chicago, IL
I just need to know how much the phone will cost, I recently switched from Virgin mobile since I wanted a new phone even though the service was just fine. If the price is $299 I'm sold, I like android and ICS but I'd rather have everything on Apple.

Moonjumper

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2009
Lincoln, UK
Hopefully we will eventually get the iPhone on Virgin Mobile UK. As we have Virgin Media, we might get the £5 pm discount they offer on other phones.

WannaGoMac

macrumors 68030
Feb 11, 2007
I just need to know how much the phone will cost, I recently switched from Virgin mobile since I wanted a new phone even though the service was just fine. If the price is $299 I'm sold, I like android and ICS but I'd rather have everything on Apple.

Why? Over two years you save a huge amount of money on the $30/month plan (like $1400) in monthly fees compared to the ATT or Verizon carriers.

Z400Racer37

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2011
wow, i wish sprint had decent service around where i live....

so would anyone here pay 650 or 750 for an 16/32 GB iPhone 5 when it comes out in exchange for not having to pay 120 bucks a month on verizon sprint or att?

imgonephishin

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2003
$30 for unlimited data (albeit throttled after 2.5GB) and 300 minutes talk time? This is incredible!

Any bets on how quickly they'll get the next iPhone? If they have it at or around launch, I'm signing up immediately. I suspect that part of the major carriers contracts stipulates that the prepaids won't get new phone releases for 6 months, or something.

macnchiefs

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2009

How could they possibly sell it for $299 and give you a max price plan of $50 and make any kind of money on it?

Besides, it says right in the post how much the phones will be.

albanian

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2012
USA
$30 for unlimited data (albeit throttled after 2.5GB) and 300 minutes talk time? This is incredible!

Any bets on how quickly they'll get the next iPhone? If they have it at or around launch, I'm signing up immediately. I suspect that part of the major carriers contracts stipulates that the prepaids won't get new phone releases for 6 months, or something.

This is what I really want to know. If they get the next iPhone, with the same plan rates, I'll be a happy camper.

Rot'nApple

macrumors 65816
Dec 27, 2006
I DID build that!
Can anyone attest to VM's service, both in customer service and call coverage, dropped calls, data signals and speaking of which, what is their speeds? 3G or will LTE iPhones is in the upcoming iPhone will that work or is this for only models.

Oh, with regards to curiosity, I'm looking for East Coast call coverage, specifically Virginia. Anyone have VM service here in VA? Thanks.
/
/
/

Codyak

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2012
DC
Any idea if you have a Verizon iPhone, would work on VM(Sprint) since they are both CDMA?

Edit:
Also curious on Virginia coverage with VM.

macnchiefs

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2009
Can anyone attest to VM's service, both in customer service and call coverage, dropped calls, data signals and speaking of which, what is their speeds? 3G or will LTE iPhones is in the upcoming iPhone will that work or is this for only models.

Oh, with regards to curiosity, I'm looking for East Coast call coverage, specifically Virginia. Anyone have VM service here in VA? Thanks.

Found coverage information: http://bit.ly/K0uZGo

They use Sprint for everything, so Sprint's numbers from customer service to data speeds apply.

rufwork

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2003
Notably, Virgin Mobile will be offering service plans for as low as $30 per month with no commitment when customers sign up for automatic payments.

I can't quite figure that one out. I'm a Virgin Mobile customer with Auto-Pay, and I'm not seeing that discount. Nor is that graphic, which I caught this morning, anywhere else on the site.

I don't think it's an iPhone only discount, but perhaps it is? First I'd heard of it.

EDIT: Service, btw, has been excellent in the Southeast US.

Ugg

macrumors 68000
Apr 7, 2003
Penryn
This is incredible! I've been waiting for years to have an iPhone on VM and now I'll get one at $30 a month!

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
thanks

Found coverage information: http://bit.ly/K0uZGo

They use Sprint for everything, so Sprint's numbers from customer service to data speeds apply.

Sigh...no go for me.

This is a super deal, but I will never, ever deal with Sprint again after the awful 4 month long debacle in receiving my refund on an unused iPhone and no usage charges last year.

I hope Verizon and AT&T will follow suit

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.