Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old Jul 6, 2012, 06:02 PM   #26
iJohnHenry
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrain View Post
NO, we all are jealous and want to take all of his hard earned money so we can continue with our freeloading lifestyles.
You could always refuse to eat your government "cheese".
iJohnHenry is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2012, 06:17 PM   #27
Huntn
macrumors 604

Quote:
NO, we all are jealous and want to take all of his hard earned money so we can continue with our freeloading lifestyles.
That's an interesting comment. I remember reading a comment of an English (I think, foreigner) Millionaire saying that Millionaires in the USA have it made because instead of being resented like they are were he lives, everyone wants to be like them.
Huntn is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2012, 08:44 AM   #28
Huntn
macrumors 604

Romney's Bain Tenure Draws Dispute

Romney says he gave up tenor at Bain in 1999. This was when they started outsourcing jobs, however...

Quote:
At issue is when Romney left Bain, and whether he was at the helm when it sent jobs overseas. The documents, filed with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission, place Romney in charge of Bain from 1999 to 2001, a period in which the company outsourced jobs and ran companies that fell into bankruptcy.
Quote:
But at least three times since then, Bain listed Romney as the company's "controlling person," as well as its "sole shareholder, sole director, chief executive officer and president." And one of those documents -- as late as February 2001 -- lists Romney's "principal occupation" as Bain's managing director.
From the Obama campaign:
Quote:
The Obama campaign called the SEC documents detailing Romney's role post-1999 a "big Bain lie." And Obama deputy campaign manager Stephanie Cutter said the presumptive GOP nominee may have even engaged in illegal activity. "Either Mitt Romney, through his own words and his own signature, was misrepresenting his position at Bain to the SEC, which is a felony," she said, "or he is misrepresenting his position at Bain to the American people."
Anyone from the pro-Romney forces worried about this?
Huntn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2012, 01:59 AM   #29
Alameda
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicaliberal View Post
The interesting part of these criticisms (privatizing the gains, and socializing the losses) is that in the past several years it has primarily been the LEFT defending such policies. It was the left that supported the bank bailouts in greater numbers than the right. It was the left that supported the GM bailouts in greater numbers than the right.

The position from the right seems to be that businesses should be free to make as much money as they want and keep a higher percentage of it, but if they screw up, they should also pay the penalty.

The position form the left seems to be right in line with what Bain did, which was to have government (taxpayers) fund their poor decisions.

Bottom line, from my perspective... the bailouts, subsidies, and special deals have to stop....
Interesting what you did here -- Instead of addressing the claim that Mitt Romney enriched himself at taxpayer expense, you simply blame his thievery on Democrats.

It's somehow Democrats' fault that Romney ripped off taxpayers. Romney was merely being a good businessman and looking out for the interests of his shareholders (himself) when he pocketed that money, and we should have no worries at all about how he'll handle the public trust as President.

Not sure that I'm going to run with that.
Alameda is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2012, 10:31 AM   #30
Huntn
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicaliberal View Post
The interesting part of these criticisms (privatizing the gains, and socializing the losses) is that in the past several years it has primarily been the LEFT defending such policies. It was the left that supported the bank bailouts in greater numbers than the right. It was the left that supported the GM bailouts in greater numbers than the right.

The position from the right seems to be that businesses should be free to make as much money as they want and keep a higher percentage of it, but if they screw up, they should also pay the penalty.

The position form the left seems to be right in line with what Bain did, which was to have government (taxpayers) fund their poor decisions.

Bottom line, from my perspective... the bailouts, subsidies, and special deals have to stop... but both parties like them because they like to control the dials of the economy. Each side thinks they know better than the market which company, which cause deserves more money, and which ones deserve less money. They don't argue over whether the dials should exist, or whether politicians like themselves should have access to the dials... only which ones to turn and how far.
You should be banned from using the word "liberal" in your moniker.

Question: Did Mitt really pay no Federal Income Tax for the last 10 years? I want to know, lol.
Old Aug 8, 2012, 10:31 AM   #31
mcrain
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntn View Post
Question: Did Mitt really pay no Federal Income Tax for the last 10 years? I want to know, lol.
I think the bigger question is not whether he took advantage of loopholes or other legal tax avoidance schemes, but whether he took advantage of criminal schemes using offshore, undeclared assets. In other words, if he took advantage of the 2009 amnesty program, he was forgiven for felonious conduct.

Someone knows, and unless he releases his returns, he will always be subject to blackmail.

Speaking of Mitt's taxes, try this: http://www.whatmittpays.com/

See what you would save if you had his rate.
mcrain is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2012, 11:14 AM   #32
Huntn
macrumors 604

Quote:
I think the bigger question is not whether he took advantage of loopholes or other legal tax avoidance schemes, but whether he took advantage of criminal schemes using offshore, undeclared assets. In other words, if he took advantage of the 2009 amnesty program, he was forgiven for felonious conduct.

Someone knows, and unless he releases his returns, he will always be subject to blackmail.

Speaking of Mitt's taxes, try this: http://www.whatmittpays.com/

See what you would save if you had his rate.
I'll check this out. Thanks.

Mitt, up for the challenge of sticking foot in mouth everywhere he goes!
Mitt, more gaffes like this, please.

Quote:
In a thoughtful discussion about Israeli prosperity, particularly in comparison to neighboring Palestinians, Romney cited the work of Harvard economic historian David Landes, who had concluded after a lifetime of study that culture was the greatest single factor in explaining a society's successes and failures. "Culture makes all the difference," Romney said, paraphrasing Landes. The Palestinian Authority immediately cried "racism," and their complaints were taken as proof that Romney's diplomatic skills are wanting, as if diplomacy is all about telling countries what they want to hear and offending no one. Does anyone honestly believe that the Palestinians half ruled by the murderous terrorists of Hamas, half ruled by the kleptocratic thugs of the Palestinian Authority lack cultural impediments to peace and prosperity? Really?
Old Aug 8, 2012, 01:25 PM   #33
rdowns
macrumors Penryn

You'll never see Romney's tax returns. They've calculated that whatever is in there is worse than the fallout form not releasing them.

Besides, he has little to no chance of winning if you look at electoral college maps.
rdowns is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2012, 04:22 PM   #34
mcrain
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdowns View Post
Besides, he has little to no chance of winning if you look at electoral college maps.
They said the same thing about Reagan in '84.
Old Aug 9, 2012, 02:38 PM   #35
bradl
macrumors 68030

Caught this this morning during a quick romp over the bylines at Google News:

Story

Quote:
Romney on tax returns: 'I'm not a business'

By Catalina Camia, USA TODAY
August 9, 2012

Mitt Romney is defending his decision not to release more than two years of tax information, saying he's "not a business."

Romney's defense comes in an interview with Bloomberg Businessweek. The Republican candidate, who likes to approach issues like the company CEO he used to be, was asked why voters shouldn't see more of his financial information as an investor would want to see before putting money into a company.

"I'm not a business," Romney said. "We have a process in this country, which was established by law, which provides for the transparency which candidates are required to meet. I have met with that requirement with full financial disclosure of all my investments."

President Obama has criticized Romney for not releasing more tax information, and challenged him to be an "open book" like his father. When George Romney ran for president in 1968, he released 12 years of tax returns.

Mitt Romney has released his return for 2010 and an estimate of what he's paid for 2011. He has said he is following the lead of John McCain, who released two years of tax information when he was the 2008 GOP presidential nominee.

Romney's "I'm not a business" comment brings to mind his exchange with a heckler at the Iowa State Fair last summer. The Iowan had suggested taxes should be raised on corporations to balance the budget and Romney responded: "Corporations are people, my friend."

Romney was roundly mocked by Democrats for his comment last summer. Today, the Democratic National Committee is reminding reporters of the "corporations are people" remark by circulating news coverage of his Bloomberg Businessweek comments.
So we have:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitt Romney
I'm not a business.
And

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitt Romney
Corporations are people, my friend.
So if businesses and corporations are people, but he is not a business, that makes him not a person. So what the hell is he (outside of a complete idiot)?

BL.
bradl is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2012, 03:31 PM   #36
mcrain
Banned

Some reporter needs to ask him directly if he won't release his tax returns because he took advantage of the IRS amnesty program.
Old Aug 9, 2012, 04:18 PM   #37
rdowns
macrumors Penryn

Quote:
Some reporter needs to ask him directly if he won't release his tax returns because he took advantage of the IRS amnesty program.

Very interesting question. Haven't seen it mentioned anywhere else.
rdowns is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2012, 05:27 PM   #38
mcrain
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdowns View Post
Very interesting question. Haven't seen it mentioned anywhere else.
But it needs to be asked to him, otherwise, they can do a non-denial denial.
Old Aug 9, 2012, 05:44 PM   #39
hulugu
macrumors 68000

Quote:
If I meet the man in the next few months (or get called on in a press conference), I will ask him this question.
Old Aug 9, 2012, 05:50 PM   #40
MadeTheSwitch
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Mitt Romney has released his return for 2010 and an estimate of what he's paid for 2011. He has said he is following the lead of John McCain, who released two years of tax information when he was the 2008 GOP presidential nominee.
Following the lead of the last person to run (and lose) isn't exactly something to hang you hat on. May his results on election day follow MCCain's lead as well....right down the drain.

And I think it will. This refusal to release taxes will be his undoing. It's a distraction. It sends him off message every single interview and will continue to do so right through the election. Every campaign knows if you have got an issue that constantly derails your message you get rid of it. If you don't you are just letting your own message be overshadowed by the "what is he hiding?" message. Not a winning strategy.
MadeTheSwitch is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2012, 04:38 AM   #41
Huntn
macrumors 604

Morality is making money and avoiding paying taxes.

Huffington Post: Mitt Romney Started Bain Capital with Money from People Tied to Death Squads

Quote:
In 1983, Bill Bain asked Mitt Romney to launch Bain Capital, a private equity offshoot of the successful consulting firm Bain & Company. After some initial reluctance, Romney agreed. The new job came with a stipulation: Romney couldn't raise money from any current clients, Bain said, because if the private equity venture failed, he didn't want it taking the consulting firm down with it.
When Romney struggled to raise funds from other traditional sources, he and his partners started thinking outside the box. Bain executive Harry Strachan suggested that Romney meet with a group of Central American oligarchs who were looking for new investment vehicles as turmoil engulfed their region.
Romney was worried that the oligarchs might be tied to "illegal drug money, right-wing death squads, or left-wing terrorism," Strachan later told a Boston Globe reporter, as quoted in the 2012 book "The Real Romney." But, pressed for capital, Romney pushed his concerns aside and flew to Miami in mid-1984 to meet with the Salvadorans at a local bank.
It was a lucrative trip. The Central Americans provided roughly $9 million -- 40 percent -- of Bain Capital's initial outside funding, the Los Angeles Times reported recently. And they became valued clients.
Huntn is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2012, 08:39 AM   #42
Huntn
macrumors 604

An Amazing Transformation from the GOP Platform since Sat, Aug 11: Attack Obama on his medicare cuts while claiming to be the party who is going to preserve Medicare without ANY impact on current seniors?

I heard this come out of Romney's mouth. Is he kidding? Are voters going to be that gullible?
Old Aug 17, 2012, 10:37 AM   #43
Huntn
macrumors 604

Romney claims he paid 13% income tax

Let's assume for a minute this is the truth... do you have to ask what is wrong with this country?

Last edited by Huntn; Aug 17, 2012 at 10:55 AM.
Huntn is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2012, 03:07 PM   #44
MadeTheSwitch
macrumors 6502

Quote:

Let's assume for a minute this is the truth... do you have to ask what is wrong with this country?
The bigger problem is that he might even pay less under the Romney/Ryan plan. Putting very wealthy people who cater to big business in charge of revising the tax code is like putting the fox in charge of guarding the hen house. Not a good idea.
MadeTheSwitch is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2012, 12:01 AM   #45
Carlanga
macrumors 603

Found this image and had to share
Old Aug 18, 2012, 06:24 AM   #46
Thomas Veil
macrumors 68020

Quote:
An Amazing Transformation from the GOP Platform since Sat, Aug 11: Attack Obama on his medicare cuts while claiming to be the party who is going to preserve Medicare without ANY impact on current seniors?

I heard this come out of Romney's mouth. Is he kidding? Are voters going to be that gullible?
Some will, yes.

Even if it were true, I still think it's an idiotic way to sell it. "Hey, boomers -- your Medicare won't be affected. Your kids and their kids? Hell yeah, they'll get royally screwed when they're your age. But you're just worried about you, right?"

They're kind of using the same line of reasoning (if you'll pardon the expression) on the Social Security issue as well.

Quote:

No. And not only that, but you also have to ask, why is Romney admitting this now? "I never paid less than 13%." We could've found that out if he'd just released the ****ing returns. There must be something else in there that he doesn't want us to see.

Maybe it's his stock holdings in Central American Death Squads, Inc.
Thomas Veil is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2012, 11:52 AM   #47
Huntn
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Veil View Post
Some will, yes.

Even if it were true, I still think it's an idiotic way to sell it. "Hey, boomers -- your Medicare won't be affected. Your kids and their kids? Hell yeah, they'll get royally screwed when they're your age. But you're just worried about you, right?"

They're kind of using the same line of reasoning (if you'll pardon the expression) on the Social Security issue as well.

No. And not only that, but you also have to ask, why is Romney admitting this now? "I never paid less than 13%." We could've found that out if he'd just released the ****ing returns. There must be something else in there that he doesn't want us to see.

Maybe it's his stock holdings in Central American Death Squads, Inc.
Regarding Medicare, sorry for repeating myself, I did not realize that Ryan had been proposing a $15k annual voucher to purchase insurance with. I admit this is not as bad as giving someone a $15k credit to pay for trips to the doctor/hospital. Under the current system, my impression is that paying $1k per month for family insurance provides decent health coverage. Could someone straighten me out on this?

Regarding Romney's tax returns, half the country does not care or want to know because they just want Obama gone. Painting President Obama as the boogey man is politics at it's most crass. I am disgusted with Democrat leadership who can't get on the same page, but I completely abhor the GOP. They are intent on dragging the country back to their version of the good ole days when money ruled and everyone else served.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 09:43 AM   #48
samiwas
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Regarding Medicare, sorry for repeating myself, I did not realize that Ryan had been proposing a $15k annual voucher to purchase insurance with. I admit this is not as bad as giving someone a $15k credit to pay for trips to the doctor/hospital. Under the current system, my impression is that paying $1k per month for family insurance provides decent health coverage. Could someone straighten me out on this?
My family insurance is around $1270 a month right now, including full maternity coverage (there's also dental, vision, and a life insurance part, but that's minimal in the cost). That is for myself (37), my wife (30), and a 4-month old son. Even with this insurance, our son's birth cost us over $6,000 out of pocket. We have a $2500 deductible (per person, as I found out later), and a 20% copay for everything after the deductible. Don't know what our out-of-pocket maximum is because we didn't hit it with the birth or the resulting ER visit.

I'm not familiar enough with Medicare, but how much of a senior citizen's medical bills are currently paid out of pocket?
Old Aug 19, 2012, 11:01 AM   #49
Huntn
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas View Post
My family insurance is around $1270 a month right now, including full maternity coverage (there's also dental, vision, and a life insurance part, but that's minimal in the cost). That is for myself (37), my wife (30), and a 4-month old son. Even with this insurance, our son's birth cost us over $6,000 out of pocket. We have a $2500 deductible (per person, as I found out later), and a 20% copay for everything after the deductible. Don't know what our out-of-pocket maximum is because we didn't hit it with the birth or the resulting ER visit.

I'm not familiar enough with Medicare, but how much of a senior citizen's medical bills are currently paid out of pocket?
I don't know, but I should find out.

My company insurance (UHC) cost me about $300 per month and I payed 20% with a max payout of about $9500 in a year. Two years in a row due to significant medical events like a gall bladder removal, I paid about $5-6000 in medical each year.

Right now I've chosen to be in a high deductible HSA (health savings account) where I pay everything up to $2500 individual/ $3500 family per year. And even through I'm paying 100% up to the deductible, it's not really 100% because the cost of medical visits are reduced through the contract with the the insurance company. Ironically since switching over to the HSA, I've had no more major medical events so in hindsight I could have saved money with a different plan. If you think you might have a major medical expense, the HSA is the way to go, but it's all a gamble.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 01:26 PM   #50
MadeTheSwitch
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Regarding Romney's tax returns, half the country does not care or want to know because they just want Obama gone. Painting President Obama as the boogey man is politics at it's most crass. I am disgusted with Democrat leadership who can't get on the same page, but I completely abhor the GOP. They are intent on dragging the country back to their version of the good ole days when money ruled and everyone else served.
Actually, even some of the Republicans want to see Romney's tax returns. I laugh every time Romney says the public is not interested in them. In his dreams. He WISHES that people were not interested in what he is hiding, but just as with any other job interview, the interviewer(s) do in fact care about what the applicant may be hiding.
MadeTheSwitch is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues